Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Palermo: Mourinho has a big mouth Tuesday 30 November, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has incurred the wrath of the Sicilian people after claiming he’d “need five bodyguards to visit Palermo.”

The Champions’ League winner made the comments to magazine ‘Expresso’ after requesting extra security when his team goes to visit old club Porto next month. “I would need bodyguards in Oporto. If you visit Palermo, you probably also need them.”

These statements obviously enraged the Rosanero, who are currently flying high in fifth place after their first promotion in over 30 years.

“Sometimes people think they are imparting information of value and proving their knowledge when in fact they are shooting out gratuitous insults,” noted Coach Francesco Guidolin.

Palermo captain Eugenio Corini added, “I hope qualify for the Champions’ League so next season we can take our revenge by beating Chelsea.”

President Maurizio Zamparini took a different approach and sent out a message of reconciliation to Mourinho.

“I invite Mourinho to come and meet us in Palermo,” said the patron. “That way he can see for himself that if ever there is a city where you don’t need bodyguards it is this wonderful Sicilian Capital. Before speaking about certain matters he really should know the reality of them.”

This is the second spat Palermo have had with the foreign press in less than a month, as Spanish newspaper ‘AS’ ran an article on the Sicilian derby claiming it was “the match of Mafia gangsters and poverty-stricken criminals.”

channel4

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Gees they should get over it for christ sake,he has a big mouth but is only stirring it up also.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I thought that would be the reaction in Sicily as soon as I read Mourinho's uncharacteristically dumb comment. Why would he go and mention Italy and Mafia? Very stupid, and he should apologize to the people of Palermo.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
yeah fair enough a grose generalisation, although some may argue not without its merits.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
at least they didnt insult him back....im sure Mourinho meant no real harm....no big deal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
JM was out of order to say something like that. He needs to send Mutu their with a box of chocolate and flowers and he can also supply some drugs to some of the players their that should do the trick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts