Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only a few weeks since we got the draw at their place and I'd take another draw tomorrow.

Palace will have Michael Hughes and Danny Granville available following suspension, Aki and Joonas Kolkka are injured and probably won't play. I'd be surprised if Routledge plays tomorrow but with Kolkka injured we don't really have much choice but with Dowie you never know :googly:
Live streaming of the game available at www.soccerstreams.com

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I'm really hoping we will win. Maybe we can catch them on the down as they lost last week...but then so did we :(.

I guess it will be a battle between Johnson and Defoe, and I hope AJ delivers as if he doesn't I can't see us winning.

·
Registered
59,141 Posts
Palace 2 nil up :(

Tom Saws or something scored and now Danny Granville. :(

I could give you a radio link Toni, but it's also realplayer format :eek:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3-0

WAAHAAY!!

Now that was good :shades:

A scrappy first half , Spurs maybe just shaded it. Kiraly had to make one very good save from Marney's shot, embellished with a neat forward roll :crazy:

The second half started the same way,typical derby fare really,but once Palace took the lead Spurs seemed to crumble at the back and never got back into the game.

It was a surprise to see Dougie Freedman getting a start and a return to the 442 formation. It could have been an astute bit of managment by Dowie actually as Spurs were probably expecting us to roll out the 541 system that we've played for most of the season :)

Sorondo was very impressive today as was Boyce who kept the Spurs left winger ( Atuba?) quiet.Routledge did play but was neither good nor bad, the spurs fans seemed to think he'd already signed for them :nono:

Kiraly ,Boyce ,Hall ,Sorondo ,Granville ,Routledge ,Leigertwood ,Hughes ,Soares (Borrowdale ,88 ) ,Johnson (Andrews ,88 ) ,Freedman
Subs not used: Speroni,Powell,Lakis,

Toni,shame you couldn't watch :( check your pm's

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Great win guys!

Especially as I HATE Spurs (sorry Wally!) :thmbup:

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I was on tele, I was on tele :)

Anyway, great game, great result. The only bad thing was that all the teams below us did reasonably well as well. As for Routledge, I thought he played tremendously well considering the situation he was in, and Soares should develop into something good. But WTF happened to Mikele? He like has a second birth or something he was everywhere.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tv star eh, were you on motd or sky , or both :smileani:

As for Mik, the fella's a tank :howler: He doesn't beat players with skill, he just runs straight through them....fantastic :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Saturday, January 22, 2005

Crystal Palace 3-0 Tottenham: FT Report

PA

Crystal Palace showed they are certainly up for the fight to stay in the Barclays Premiership by routing Tottenham 3-0 at Selhurst Park.

Ziegler protects the ball from Routledge (PhilCole/GettyImages)

Having seen relegation rivals Southampton beat Liverpool earlier in the day, the Eagles had to get a win to maintain their slender advantage on the bottom three.

Following a disappointing first half, Iain Dowie's men came out looking hungry for victory, and were rewarded with goals from Mikele Leigertwood and Danny Granville before Andrew Johnson's penalty wrapped things up.

Palace 'kicking and screaming'

Spurs, now without a win in three league games, were below par and rarely threatened, with Dean Marney's first-half effort about the best they created all afternoon.

Leigertwood was asked to play just in front of the Palace back four, looking to try to combat the threat of Jermain Defoe.

But the first chance of the match came from a free-kick, the England striker's shot from Michael Carrick's lay-off charged down by the home defence before Defoe then sent a hopeful effort on the run high from some 20 yards.

Want-away winger Wayne Routledge got a mixed reception from the Palace faithful when he went over to take a corner on the right after eight minutes and the boo-boys were given more ammunition when the midfielder - subject of a ?.5million offer from Spurs earlier this week - scuffed the cross low to the near post.

Recalled Dougie Freedman then skipped clear into the Spurs half and took the ball on into the right corner of the box. But with both Johnson and Routledge to aim at around the penalty spot, the striker's cut-back was deflected behind by Carrick.

In the 15th minute Palace were awarded a free-kick in a central position 22 yards out when Noureddine Naybet pulled down Johnson. Granville struck the dead ball well enough, but Paul Robinson was down quickly to his right and made the save.

The tempo of the match then dropped somewhat, with both sides seeing plenty of the ball in the middle, but neither really able to create anything in the final third.

Palace captain Michael Hughes talked his way into the book on 29 minutes after being penalised for a tackle from behind on Robbie Keane. The free-kick was moved forwards by referee Chris Foy as a result to the edge of the penalty arc, and Reto Ziegler's whipped effort flew just over.

Then, after 42 minutes, the Palace keeper Gabor Kiraly was finally called into action. The Hungarian first stood up well to block at his near post from Ziegler before producing a fine stop, diving to his right to save Marney's fierce drive from just inside the box.

The Swiss defender was, however, soon replaced, struggling with what looked like a hamstring strain, Thimothee Atouba coming on with a minute left of the half.

The opening exchanges of the second period, though, were no better than those towards the end of the first half as neither side got a grip of proceedings.

In the 52nd minute Carrick's slow drive from the edge of the area flew harmlessly wide of Kiraly's right-hand post.

Defoe then smashed the ball horribly wide when trying to lob the Palace keeper as the ball dropped to him a full 30 yards from goal.

At the other end, Routledge's pacey cross from the left had to be hacked behind by Atouba, with Freedman lurking at the far post.

Then out of nothing, the Eagles went in front after 66 minutes. Young midfielder Tom Soares got clear down the left and his first-time cross into the centre was met by Leigertwood on the volley, the ball crashing in off the underside of the bar.

And before Spurs had a chance to recover, Palace doubled their lead. Hughes fed the ball into Routledge on the edge of the box, and he slipped a lovely pass through to Granville on the overlap. The full-back had timed his run to perfection, beating the offside trap and also Robinson with a low drive into the left corner after 70 minutes.

Any hopes Martin Jol's side had of getting back into the game were ended with 13 minutes left. Johnson's run into the left edge of the penalty area was halted when he was tripped by Marney - and the club's leading scorer made no mistake with the resulting spot-kick.

Palace 'kicking and screaming'

Iain Dowie tonight declared Crystal Palace would have to be dragged down 'kicking and screaming' after watching his side beat Tottenham 3-0 to keep themselves out of the bottom three of the Barclays Premiership.

A victory for fellow strugglers Southampton over Liverpool earlier in the day had increased the pressure on the Eagles to get a result at Selhurst Park if they were to maintain their slender advantage above the relegation zone.

And they obliged with a stirring second-half performance as goals from Mikele Leigertwood and Danny Granville put them in control before Andrew Johnson scored his 14th league goal of the season from the penalty spot to wrap up only their fifth Premiership win.

Dowie said: 'It was a great result for Harry [Redknapp] - but we can't worry about Southampton.

'I supposed it did add to the pressure, but again a question has been asked of the players and they answered it in a resounding fashion. We were a very tight unit.

'The players were magnificent, as they have always been, and it was a great performance for the heart and soul.'

The Palace boss declared: 'What ever happens, I and the players will demand that if we are going to go, we will go kicking and screaming, like a spoilt child.

'If we are going to go down, someone is going to have to drag us down.'

Tottenham put in a ?.5million bid for Palace's want-away winger Wayne Routledge earlier this week, which was rejected by the south London club.

The England Under-21 international received a mixed reception from the home supporters this afternoon following his decision to turn down a new contract offer, but Dowie felt it was a thoroughly professional performance from the 20-year-old.

'Everyone is entitled to their opinion,' said Dowie. 'Wayne is a player who has done it for me every game I have played him.

'He works very hard in training, was in this week on his day off working with me, he is a top-quality player.

Dowie added: 'The bid was never enough, but I am not interested in the economics of it - I am interested in keeping this club in the Premier League.

'If we keep Wayne here and he goes in the summer and it has cost us a million more than it would have done, okay - we are in the Premier League.'

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson was in the crowd this afternoon, as he casts an eye over potential recruits for his squad ahead of next month's friendly against Holland - including Palace hotshot Johnson.

And Dowie reflected: 'When Andy gets at you, there is not too many better. He can go either way, is good in the air. His performance was excellent and he is a constant threat. I don't think he can do much more.'

Spurs are now without a win in three league games, and head coach Martin Jol accepted his side were below par.

They rarely threatened all afternoon, failing to get enough service into striker Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe, with Dean Marney's first-half snapshot about the best they created all afternoon.

'I don't think we played particularly well,' reflected the Dutchman.

'I had said at half-time that if we stretched them a bit down the flanks we would get more space for our strikers, but if you don't do that, you are always going to look like losing a game.

'The 1-0 came out of nothing and after that everybody started to do different things, then at 2-0, we were chasing shadows.

'We could have had a draw and I wouldn't have been satisfied. If you want to achieve something or go places you have to win here.

'But all credit to them, they worked hard and deserved to win.'

Fredi Kanoute not played since the win over Everton on New Year's Day because of a hamstring tear and added to that problem by sustaining an abductor muscle strain last week.

'We miss a big man,' reflected Jol, whose side lost further ground on the top six.

'We miss Fredi because if you see him playing with Defoe or with Keane, it is different.'

On the situation regarding Routledge, the Spurs boss commented: 'We are aware of his qualities. We see him a lot of times before, but today I was only looking at my own team.

'We put a bid in, and then we have to wait and see.'

soccernet

·
Registered
59,141 Posts
Natalya said:
Great win guys!

Especially as I HATE Spurs (sorry Wally!) :thmbup:
you're just still bitter we dumped Orvid Leonardson and a finished David Ginola for 3 m at your place :stuckup: :D

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Nah I'm still bitter that my mum got punched in the face and some guy tried to start on me when I was 12 back in 1994 :pp
Luckily before this man in his late 20s had an opportunity to punch me, my mum's friend who is 6'6 looked back and confronted him, Mr I-pick-on-little-girls soon scampered onto the nearest bus.

Then about 2 years later I had issues with being dumped in a building site as an away fan and the stewards being obnoxious.

The around 3 years ago I had issue with some Dutch Ajax Spurs fans who tried to course problems with the Villa fans by inciting us - they soon shut up when my mum and I orchestrated a Feyenoord chant :)

I have a long list of Spurs grievances and rightly hate their guts now! :)

Sorry Eagles for hi-jacking your thread with my Anti-Spurs sentiment! ;)

·
Registered
59,141 Posts
Natalya said:
The around 3 years ago I had issue with some Dutch Ajax Spurs fans who tried to course problems with the Villa fans by inciting us - they soon shut up when my mum and I orchestrated a Feyenoord chant :)
:howler:

what did you sing exactly? :D

Ajax :yuck: shame some of their fans support Spurs cos of the so called Jewish link even though hardly any of them are Jewish. Bigots.

I was born in England and a Spurs fan first. Became a Feyenoord fan later when I moved here in case you're wondering, since most Feyenoord fans are usually Chelsea fans :yuck:

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Oh as our Dutch is pathetic we just chanted "Feyenoord Feyenoord" and all the Villa fans sang it - first time I've ever started a chant.

These guys had Israeli flags with them, they were ready to explode when they saw me standing up in my kuffiyah (which I just happened to be wearing, no decision behind it), but they couldn't reach me!

·
Registered
59,141 Posts
Palace vs Spurs( Wally and Talya off topic thread ;) )

:embarass:

I take it you dislike Ajax now as well :thumbsup: that way you can make it up a bit with me :pp

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Well a good friend of my mum's a Feyenoord (and Sparta) fan and I've been to Rotterdam a couple of times, so I guess it gets my loyalties! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts