Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to media reports , Jaime Pacheco "Would love the honour of coaching Portugal" but says he has to wait cause someone has the job.

Well , Jaime....... :) I reckon in 2 weeks you may be the man !!!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
An improvement over Oliveira, (but then who wouldn't be), but I have some reservations. Pacheco is a pretty forceful guy, and I don't know how successful his style will be dealing with a team that has stars like Figo and Costa. Still, I would like to see him get it, see what he can do with it.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tinto said:
An improvement over Oliveira, (but then who wouldn't be), but I have some reservations. Pacheco is a pretty forceful guy, and I don't know how successful his style will be dealing with a team that has stars like Figo and Costa. Still, I would like to see him get it, see what he can do with it.
Well if that is the case , what example does that set if a couple of players are above the coach ???????? I am sure if he is appointed , everyone will tow the line or they are out !!!!!!!! No matter if they are Luis Figo or Mickey Mouse !!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jaime Pacheco is my #1 choice to take over! I'm happy I thought he wouldn't want that job but if he takes it then I'll be happier then a pig in sh!t!

It's time to clean house of everyone of all that golden generation!!!! Bye Bye Rui Costa, Joao Pinto, Paulo Sousa, Couto, Costa, Conceicao!!!

It's time to go young and rebuild, keep Nuno Gomes, Pauleta, Rui Jorge and Figo for the mix of Veterans with youth!

Here's the future:

Simao, Quaresma, Candido Costa, Meira, Caneira, Postiga, Hugo Viana, Beto, Jorge Andrade, Luis Boa Morte, Neca, Cesar Peixoto, Edmilson, Miguel!!!

If anything we are known for our youth system so it's time to bring them up young so they can start getting it together young!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Laszlo Boloni?????

Another possiblilty I've heard mentioned is Boloni SCP's coach!

He is supposed to be great at finding young talent in the youth squads then mixing it well with the veterans! Kinda like Viana and Quaresma with SCP this season!

If the Portuguese Federation is going with cleaning house and the youth movement then maybe Boloni would be a good move!!!

Another cat I wouldn't mind seeing is Luxemburgo the old Brazillian NT coach!!!! We definelty have to go foreign! Someone who has no preference over past players or favs!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Right on! If Figo wants out then he should go!!! For Euro 2004 he'll be 31, 32 anyways and the rest of them cats even older! It's time for them to hit the bricks and call it a international career!!!!

-I'll looking back and I'm thinking why the F*ck didn't Oliveira take Beto out at the half with that 1 yellow!!! Or why he only used 1 trinco against the U.S. or start the 2nd half of the U.S game with Nuno and Pauleta up front together!!!!

Oliveira also should of called up Quaresma! He would of caused havoc against Korea's right side especially with us being down a goal and when JVP got tossed if he didn't want to use Rui Costa why not Hugo Viana who can distribute and place balls perfectly!!!!

Maybe I should be coach!!!!

Hey!!!! How about Bruce Arena as our next NT coach!!!!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
We fans tend to knee jerk react, but hopefully the FPF ain't the total and utter baboons they've been demonstrating and will take the much time available to evaluate their practices and the circumstances which led to this fiasco.

Though the veteran players deserve their brunt of criticism, the root of our fortunes lie with management and administration. They must now show that they can withstand media and fan pressure and resist the urge to follow its tendencies to make impulsive decisions. The emotional outbursts of doubt and self pity on the players' part are completely normal. Guys like Rui Costa and Figo just need time to get over their disapointment. However, they will remain the two major pistons in our engine for 2004, as they should. Fortunately, we have plenty of youth for depth and for the critical upgrade of where dead wood lay dormant.

All we need is a coach who excells at using each player to its full capacity and uses the youth wisely and timely in game situations (they're out there). Mostly, as a way to render a tired veteran who's 90 minute tank has, in all likely hood, considerably reduced by 2004. That doesn't mean, by any means, that they don't have a valuable role still.

But, priority number one is to seriously resist the urge to over react over a fiasco that could have been avoided had we been more diligent with our administrative and management processes - mainly, hiring a capable head coach with excellent adminsitrative skills (Oliveira not only has a modicum knowledge of today's game, he prooved to be one terrible administrator,as stories of poor scouting, poor conditioning practices now emerge) as well as be equipped with a modern philosophy that suits the characters of this team.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I see mostly a five player turnover. Six, at most.

Mainly, roles will change somewhat - from untoucheables to role players.

Figo and Rui Costa are starters (barring injury or poor form). Simao will easily win one of the wings. Quaresma, Booty CHoker provide great depth there. Dani (provided he continues his new-found humility) and Hugo Viana will make great role players.

Ednilson and Petit will continue to support our offense. Kennedy can easily fit in here if his performances haven't been a product of doping.

Andrade will be the only real change on defense, with Couto seeing a role from the bench and Costa to carry the bags from the bus to the hotel.

Ricardo will be our goalie. Plenty of no-bodies to back him up.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Pila said:
I see mostly a five player turnover. Six, at most.

Mainly, roles will change somewhat - from untoucheables to role players.

Figo and Rui Costa are starters (barring injury or poor form). Simao will easily win one of the wings. Quaresma, Booty CHoker provide great depth there. Dani (provided he continues his new-found humility) and Hugo Viana will make great role players.

Ednilson and Petit will continue to support our offense. Kennedy can easily fit in here if his performances haven't been a product of doping.

Andrade will be the only real change on defense, with Couto seeing a role from the bench and Costa to carry the bags from the bus to the hotel.

Ricardo will be our goalie. Plenty of no-bodies to back him up.
I disagree. There will be a lot of turnover with this team in the next two years. They will try to mix the youth with savvy veterans. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to actually play players in their natural positions. IE FIGO is a winger, not a central attacking playmaker. OR BETO is a central defender, not a lateral defender.

Besides it's all based on the form of players. In Euro 2000, Vidigal was the man, now it was Petit. By 2004, it can very well be Tiago or Ednilson.

The key to the cleansing this team needs to go through, as usual, is the management. We need a competent individual, who instills discipline and intelligence into this team.

But knowing how the whores at the FPF run things, they'll probably give the coaching position to Hernan Jose because of his strong ties with SIC.

Either way, Oliveira should be fired immediately, without compensation...shouldn't total complete and utter imcompetence to perform one's duties be in his contract somewhere?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I knew you would disagree, giving your tendencies to rollercoaster your emotions, not that much different than the rest of us though.;)

I don't really disagree with your concept, just don't think there's all that much necessacity to turnover our squad. Like you, I see the major changes necessary at administrative and management levels, not necessarilly at the squad level with the major change being one of tactical philosophy, not players.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
COUTO 5 said:

:fero: I'll Kill that filho do puta :fero:
I would too. Artur Jorge is a stupid caralho!! :fero:

I think Pacheco or a foreigner. This teams needs a kick in the :ass: to replace it's tarnished image and it's immature tactics!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
It makes me ill to see portuguese fans writing **** about our players. Though some made mistakes and may even have their best years behind them, they still deserve respect. The NT did some outstanding things these past couple of years and on the whole made me more proud than anything else.

Toni Montana, you want to be coach, and you write get rid of Rui Costa and Conceicao!!??? Jesus, I've suspected this NT is cursed, but surely they don't deserve anyone who even jokes about being coach making decisions like that!! ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd send Baia, Couto and Costa packing they are past their prime and have seen better days!

I'd start revamping with the defense right away!!! I'd start Beto and J. Andrade as my Central defenders! Ricardo as goalie and keep my eyes open for some speedy wing backs who can attack but also defend like mofo's maybe a mix of Rui Jorge, Caneira, Xavier and Frechaut!

That would be my first experience as coach!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tinto said:
It makes me ill to see portuguese fans writing **** about our players. Though some made mistakes and may even have their best years behind them, they still deserve respect. The NT did some outstanding things these past couple of years and on the whole made me more proud than anything else.

Toni Montana, you want to be coach, and you write get rid of Rui Costa and Conceicao!!??? Jesus, I've suspected this NT is cursed, but surely they don't deserve anyone who even jokes about being coach making decisions like that!! ;)

Portugal have achieved nothing! They never won a World Cup except on the youth level and they never won a European Championship! Certain players deserved respect because of acheivments with their Club teams but on the pro level of international play Portugal has always been under acheivers!!!

Rui Costa maybe not yet but Conceicao right away! If I was coach my main focus would be Euro 04 which is 2 years away, by then JVP, Couto, Costa, Baia, Bento are too old! If I was coach my main focus would be rebuilding!

It doesn't mean I'd just toss away our current squad like I'd keep Rui Costa to groom Hugo Viana, Figo to groom Quaresma, but the defense I would drop right away!

Players like Viana, Quaresma, Neca, Cesar Peixoto, Luis Boa Morte, Edmilson, Miguel, Tiago, Caneira, Meira I'd mix them up in with the vets to keep everyone happy!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts