Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the situation with him? Is he staying with the club or is he leaving? He is not yet released but I don't think he has a contract for next season. He did really well in my opinion for Derby, maybe not an option to start but he is a solid backup in case of injury or suspension. He did lose his hot form towards the end of the season though but in the matches of the FA cup against Fulham he was solid :thmbup:

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
I think he has been offered a contract, but has not yet signed. The reason being he wants guaranteed first team football, something that George Burley can not give him. I hope he does sign, he is reliable back up, but not quite good enough too force his way in as a first team regular.

We're short of defendrs as it is, if him, Kenna and Vincent all go, that wil be seriously bad news.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Apparently the contract offered too him, saw his wages decreased, and he has turned the offer down. His agent says 9 clubs are interested in him, so I don't expect Pablo too be a Derby play come the start of the season.

·
Registered
68,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, I really liked Mills, he is a good player, if he does leave good luck to him where ever he decides to play.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
wow, I really liked Mills, he is a good player, if he does leave good luck to him where ever he decides to play.
Yes he did well when given the chance, his weakness was always having no pace at all.

I know MK Dons wanted him last season, but there in League 2 now I think, can't see him going that far down. I think someone like Plymouth/Luton/Watford, one of those type teams will be after him.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Mills mission

By Phil Harrison

Defender Pablo Mills hopes to sit down and clarify his future at Derby County when he finally holds contract talks later this week.

The 21-year-old defender is known to have several other clubs interested in him, including a number of the Rams' Championship rivals, should he fail to agree terms at Pride Park.

The central defender was the only out-of-contract player to be retained by the club at the end of last season.

Ian Taylor, Marco Reich and Chris Makin were all released, while Jeff Kenna and Jamie Vincent, both still under contract, have been told they can try and find themselves another club.

Gino Culbertson, the player's agent said a letter of retention had been received from the club but added he would be looking for improved terms for Mills.

"As far as we are concerned Pablo has received a standard retention letter from the club, the terms of which would be unacceptable," said Culbertson.

"However, we have since been informed by the club that they wish to sit down and discuss the terms of a new contract which is something we welcome.

"My priority is the player's best interests and at this stage of his career he needs to be playing first-team football, although we fully understand that he has to earn a regular place."

Although other clubs are interested in Mills, Culbertson stressed the player was keen to stay at Pride Park.

He added: "I feel his contribution to the club last season was first-class and he never once let them down.

"There is interest from other clubs but Pablo's heart lies at Derby and he wants to stay there.

"We hope the talks we have this week will clarify his future at the club."

Mills only started two of the final 14 games of last season and was often down the pecking order for a centre-back role behind Mo Konjic, Michael Johnson and Tom Huddlestone.

Mills made 26 appearances last season, 18 of them starts and his best run in the side came at the beginning of January when he made 10 consecutive starts.

But with Huddlestone on his way to Tottenham Hotspur next season and other defenders either already gone or likely to be leaving, there is potential for a lack of defensive cover in the squad.

Murdo Mackay, the Rams' director of football, said the club wished to keep hold of Mills, although no formal discussions regarding a new contract had yet been held.

"The letter that we have sent out to Pablo is a standard retention letter that all clubs send out to players they wish to keep for the following season," said Mackay.

"We are hoping to sit down formally with Pablo and his agent some time in the coming week to discuss a new contract. The manager has intimated that he wants Pablo to stay and as long as mutually acceptable terms can be agreed then that should see him remain here"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems there could still be a chance, Mills will stay at Derby. We need him I think, the defence needs too be strengthened, losing another defender will not be good. Hopefully they will sort out a contract.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Pablo talks put on hold

By Ian Whadcoat

Pablo Mills' contract talks have been put on hold - but he has been assured he still has a future at Derby County.

The 21-year-old's current deal expires at the end of this month and negotiations were due to be held this week over an extension.

However, the surprising turnaround of events at Pride Park this week means discussions about Mills' future at Pride Park have been delayed.

Chief executive Jeremy Keith said: "Pablo Mills' people understand the situation and they are not expecting us to confirm a new contract for him right now.

"Pablo does not know who he would be working for and I'm sure he would not be comfortable about signing a contract without him knowing."

However, Mills' agent Gino Culbertson has been told the club still want to keep the centre-half.

And despite other Championship clubs showing an interest in Mills, Culbertson says he is happy to wait for a short period while the Rams appoint a new manager.

"We want to give the club every opportunity to get their own house in order," he said. "But the board have assured me 100 per cent they want Pablo at Derby County.

"From Pablo's point of view, we do not want it dragging on and we can only wait so long."

Mills only started two of the final 14 games of last season and was often further down the pecking order for a centre-back role behind Mo Konjic, Michael Johnson and Tom Huddlestone.

With 26 appearances in total last season, 18 of them starts, Mills' best run in the side came at the beginning of January when he made 10 consecutive starts.

Huddlestone is on his way to Tottenham Hotspur next season meaning opportunities for Mills could open up, although Culbertson says there is interest from several other Championship clubs.

"There is significant interest from other clubs but Pablo is a Derby lad, his heart is with the club and that's where he wants to be.

"I have been in constant contact with Jeremy Keith and we are happy to hang fire for a few days."

The search for potential new signings will now be on hold until Burley's successor is named.

That means little activity in the transfer market and is likely to end the speculation, for now at least, that linked Polish central defender Tomasz Hajto with a move to Pride Park, as was reported yesterday.

"There is very little happening in the football department at the moment," added Keith

"We do not have a manager but the manager would not be doing very much at this time.

"Of course, it's going to be better for the club if the new manager arrives as quickly as possible but it's difficult to put a time scale on it.

"At the minute, we are not talking to new players. The new manager would have his own ideas and that's only right as he picks the team.

"The transfer window is open until the end of August and whoever comes in will have until then to shape the squad."

-----------------------------------------------------

Obviously, Mills will now have to wait for a new manager too come in, before getting a new contract, the new manager should see he is a valuable member of the squad and keep him at the club. Also a new manager should see Mills believe he can fight to win the regular first team place he want's but so far has failed too get.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
It seems Brown wants Mills to stay, as he said this in an interview

"I'm aware of Pablo's situation and I would like to sit down with him to see if we can thrash out a deal"

Looks like he will be staying, good news, as everyone knows the defence is where we are weakest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts