Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to notice that you had him in the poll for player of the month. Now eventough he got no votes he did at least make the list and I did see him score at least once...

Why do I take this up?

As you may know he played in Milan for one year and he was by many Milanfans seen as one of the worst players we ever had. I disagreed on that point and didn't think his performances was that bad since the whole team was shit at that time (00/01). He also had some good performances for Uruguay at the time. I remember he had a good leftfoot and good positioning, but where very slow. When he came to Milan he was tooted as "the next Redondo".

My question is, how good is his performances now and how good do you rate him?

Thank you in advance. :)

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
JKris said:
I came to notice that you had him in the poll for player of the month. Now eventough he got no votes he did at least make the list and I did see him score at least once...

Why do I take this up?

As you may know he played in Milan for one year and he was by many Milanfans seen as one of the worst players we ever had. I disagreed on that point and didn't think his performances was that bad since the whole team was shit at that time (00/01). He also had some good performances for Uruguay at the time. I remember he had a good leftfoot and good positioning, but where very slow. When he came to Milan he was tooted as "the next Redondo".

My question is, how good is his performances now and how good do you rate him?

Thank you in advance. :)
I didn't see him much, but the few times I did it, I thought he's a player with quality, very tough. Currently he has a fame of mad boy because he has been involved in some fights with rivals (the last one, last weekend with Carboni). But I don't see him a player for Milan and definitely he's not the next Redondo. He has scored already 2 goals, he has assisted 2 more and he leads the midfield of the surprising Osasuna, which is in UEFA Cup places now. He's having his best season in Spain (it is the second one). It is a good player for a team like Osasuna, but I don't see him in a big team.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
He is very important for Osasuna, he´s not the captain (the are more veterans) but he acts as the captain. You described him well, a good player, technically gifted, a bit slow yes, but that´s not so important when you have a fantastic hard worker as Patxi Puñal next to you. He plays every single ball in Osasuna´s midfield, makes good passes, scores free kicks, good player.

He is a hard player, gets sent off quite often and has had problems with the "gallitos" of the league; Carboni, Pablo Alfaro, Helguera... that´s probably his main problem. Sometimes it´s good to be a hard player but sometimes he is too hard, and the rivals search him because they know they can benefit from it.

His style suits perfectly a team as Osasuna, very agressive team with a hard football style and probably the stadium with the more hostile atmosphere in the league, he is loved by the fans.

Could he work in other team? Very difficult question, Agirre´s Osasuna is like a swiss clock, all the pieces work well because they know perfectly which is their role in the team, their only problem is that they miss a 9 to score all the chances they create. I don´t know what could he do in other team really, although he is an interesting player since he combines quality with agressiveness.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I have has the chance to see Pablo play alot of games with Uru's NT. He was voted by the Uruguayin public as the MVP, of our WCQ campaign for 2002, and IMO rightfully so. He was the defensive rock of our midfield, and lets remember Uru posted the best defensive record in South America.

At times he has showed that he does have the quality to play for a big team, but he has had some very serious injuries, and at bad times. I believe Athletico fans would agree as he played well for them before moving to Milan.

He is no longer with our NT team, because he wanted to rest when our new coach Carrasco was picking the team, and told him he wanted to fully heal from his injury over the summer.
Carrasco never gave him another chance, which I think is ridiculous, because he played with our NT, injured so many times, and it looks like his rest payed off, because he hasn't had any serious injuries this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts