Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Socceroos coach Frank Farina has picked five home-based players for this month's internationals against Iraq and Indonesia - Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka have been overlooked again due to injury.

Liverpool ace Kewell and Middlesbrough forward Viduka were also unavailable for the international against South Africa last month.

Former Olyroos captain Ljubo Milicevic is called up to the senior national team after shaking off a long-term injury that ruled him out of last year's Athens Olympic Games while Farina has said that Ned Zelic is yet to make himself available for selection.

Socceroos squad is:

Goalkeepers: Clint Bolton (Sydney FC), Zeljko Kalac (Perugia), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough)

Defenders: Steve Laybutt (Ghent), Stan Lazaridis (Birmingham), Jon McKain (National Bucuresti), Ljubo Milicevic (FC Thun), Craig Moore (Borussia Monchengladbach), Kevin Muscat (Millwall), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers), Jade North (Newcastle Jets), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace), Tony Vidmar (Cardiff City)

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma), Tim Cahill (Everton), Scott Chipperfield (Basel), Simon Colosimo* (Perth Glory), Ahmad Elrich (Busan Icons), Brett Emerton (Blackburn), Vince Grella (Parma), Josip Skoko (Genclerbirligi), Mile Sterjovski (Basel), Danny Tiatto (Leicester City), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol City)

Forwards: Paul Agostino (1860 Munich), John Aloisi (Osasuna), Jason Culina (FC Twente), Ante Milicic (Newcastle Jets), David Zdrilic (Sydney FC).

Perth's Colosimo will only be part of the squad for the match against Indonesia at Subiaco Oval on Tuesday, March 29.

Australia faces Iraq at Telstra Stadium on Saturday, March 26.

"These games are very important to us in terms of world cup qualifying preparation," Farina said.

"It's a good squad. With the Hyundai A-League players now training and about to start practice matches I felt it was a good chance to get them in to the squad."

"We're urging the Australian sports fans to come out and support the team while they are here. It's such a big year with the confederations cup and the world cup qualifiers on so come along and show your support."

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
29 players for 2 games. i know Farina is trying to keep his cards close to his chest but shouldn't he be narrowing his selections down a bit by now, and settling on a team to play the crunch games later this year?

on that note where are our big "stars" Kewell and Viduka? are they really injured? with the form they (don't) have and the lack of commitment to this country they're showing we would be more or less be better off dropping them altogether.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vagabondo said:
on that note where are our big "stars" Kewell and Viduka? are they really injured? with the form they (don't) have and the lack of commitment to this country they're showing we would be more or less be better off dropping them altogether.
Yeah, they really are injured. Kewell and Viduka haven't played for months.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
that's ok then, if they're injured they can't do anything about it, i wasn't sure i don't follow the English game much and both players but particularly Kewell never seem to be healthy. in any case it wouldn't be the 1st time that either has left Australia in the lurch.

i think it's more or less shaking time for Australia, we need to settle on side and try to stick with it. players like Kewell and Viduka could be readmitted into the starting side later on but only if they're in REALLY good form. not if they've just played a few half-hearted games for their clubs and want to join the WC bandwagon at the last minute.

the policy of automatic selction of this pair of players, whenever they feel like playing for their country, has to stop immediately. it's not like they've even been especially effective for us anyway. Viduka has never delivered for Australia when it matters and has an atrocious 3 or 4 goals for Australia in about 5000 appearances and Kewell is starting to remind me of Del Piero.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vagabondo said:
that's ok then, if they're injured they can't do anything about it, i wasn't sure i don't follow the English game much and both players but particularly Kewell never seem to be healthy. in any case it wouldn't be the 1st time that either has left Australia in the lurch.
Being fair to Kewell, he really has not been able to play much in the last two years. When it isn't his knee, it's his ankles, or it's his achilles. Viduka's been injured for awhile now, because it's been Hasselbaink and a reserve player playing for Boro lately.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if Harry was forced into early retirement.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
khimik said:
Being fair to Kewell, he really has not been able to play much in the last two years. When it isn't his knee, it's his ankles, or it's his achilles. Viduka's been injured for awhile now, because it's been Hasselbaink and a reserve player playing for Boro lately.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if Harry was forced into early retirement.
Kewell has been out of luck for ages with injuries, and naturally it would be a great shame if he had to retire while still young. i think the best thing would be for both to get better again and rediscover a decent level of form, because at their best (a long time ago now) they were definitely good players.

on the other hand, we can't hold our breath for him (or Viduka) forever and offer them guaranteed spots in the side (more or less the current policy whenever they're available). we have other quality players and these two so far have only showed that they can't really be relied on to either be fit or deliver the goods if they are. Farina has to draw the line at some point.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Pretty decent squad for the matches. Always been an issue if Perth was gonna get to see a quality side. A half full Subiaco (approx. 22,000) would be a successful turnout considering everything.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
Vagabondo said:
29 players for 2 games. i know Farina is trying to keep his cards close to his chest but shouldn't he be narrowing his selections down a bit by now, and settling on a team to play the crunch games later this year?

but farina is trying out new players now so that he has good depth for the quals in november, didnt u know that?

...doesnt matter that the silly prick had 3 whole in yrs in which to test out the next generation of NT players, instead of playing the same ol dads army every single friendly vidmar, popovic, schwarzer.... FFS!! muscat, laybutt, vidmar, popovic, zdrilic, millicic.. :wallbang:

and can someone shed some light as to how players like david zdrillic and ante millicic get called up, 2 players that should never have pulled on an aussie shirt at their peak let alone now, and players like archie thompson and scott mcdonald dont??? macca is considering playing for scotland as they are showing quite a bit of interest in him, hes played in 2 under 20 WC's for us, GIVE HIM A RUN!

why is elrich is the side? i like him, but the guy is not playing football for his club in korea or wherever it is.

farina is the makita tool of the week

1 - 11 of 11 Posts