Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In what is sure to be a controversial topic of discussion among Liverpool fans, Michael Owen declared that he'd be open to a return to Anfield. Personally, although I was hurt and pissed with the way he left in the summer, i'd welcome him back with open arms for two reasons. One is that he is still a world class striker, and I think he and El Moro would form a perfect partnership. It seems as well that perhaps his return would be incentive for Gerrard to sign a new contract and stay with the club.

What do you guys think?

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...l=Football_Home

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Blame Real Madrid. They lure away players like Owen and Ronaldo who are disillusioned with their club, only to undertake spending initiatives and build a team that has become less competitive than either of Liverpool or Inter ever were.

Still, at least Owen can say that he hasn't been given enough of a run in Spain though, and can justify his desire to leave in those terms. Also he's a guarantee of goals for Liverpool (or anyone) and therefore better than spending a packet on some unknown quantity in my opinion.

but i'm wondering is another striker a huge priority at Liverpool? Surely two or even three out of Baros/Cisse/Owen/Morientes won't be at all happy on the bench.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Could see him coming if we sold off Baros. Otherwise, too much money for too many strikers when it could go elsewhere.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
whoo would love it, absalutely love it. pitty the storys from sky sports so its completely unreliable

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Although he moved in such a sad manner in the summer, I'd welcome him back, but it would be ridiculous imo if we paid more for him coming back than what RM paid for him :wallbang:

And yeah, we should sell Baros if we want to bring back Owen, otherwise we'll have too many strikers (6 I believe). We should work on getting a creative attacking midfielder (Rosicky perhaps) and a reliable CB (Hyypia & Pelle were acceptable this season, but we'll need someone better at the back to partner Carra if we want to improve more next season)

·
Registered
197 Posts
i fear he could face the bench also if he comes back!

cisse, mori, baros, mellor,

we HAVE to sell one, IF owen comes back.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
no7 said:

why he's better then all 4 of them, Baros will be going in the summer anyway and Mellor is hardly going to be getting i the first team I rate FSP above him.

Can't see this rumour happening, Sky Sports are neally as bad as tribalfootball for bullshit

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
no7 said:

no owen back :shades: :nono: :nono: juz stick to the current situation....cisse..mori deadly striking partner....we also have double M....Milan and Mellor...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
maybe he said that after Liverpool won 2-1 against juventus.... :drunk: :drunk:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
why he's better then all 4 of them, Baros will be going in the summer anyway and Mellor is hardly going to be getting i the first team I rate FSP above him.
Exactly :thmbup:

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Cant see it happening to be honest. Benitez has his long term vision of 4-2-3-1. Owen simply doesn't fit into this system.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think if Owen became available Benitez would be interested, his hands were pretty much tied when he had to sell him.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Though he isn't the MO10 we knew back in teh Treble years, i'd still be interested if we got him for under 8mil.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
eymc said:
can consider.......as baros leaving for valencia!!

is that true??? :googly: :googly:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
If he comes here for a price less the one we got for him, then we should. :)

There's nothing wrong with buying a striker of proven worth and ability, who has had a huge hand in bringing us our good fortunes a few seasons back, who himself has not ruled out such a move. Owen was part of Liverpool's image just less than a year ago along with Gerrard, and getting him back in his current mood of frustration of not being able to prove himself at Spain would only make him a more effective performer. PLus he's only 26, and he has at least 4 good years in him left. Him coming back would also ease the pressure on Gerrard.

Tactically, with Owen back in the team, we can afford to let go of Baros & Mellor, and keep a roster of strikers of Ciise, Moro, Owen, Flo & LeTallec. This is more than enough to see off our striking problems in the next 6-8 years. WIth him back in the side, we will not be short on pace and killer instinct up front, alllowing Rafa's 4-2-3-1 system to really take shape. AN incentive is that, if Rafa decides to change his formation anyhow, we'd have a great group of different strikers to complete any sort of change in formations and attacking approach. Rafa can also play a 4-4-2 system with greater effect as Owen is more at home in that formation compred to Baros.

If Baros is going to leave, Owen would be the perfect replacement. If Owen were to return, Baros would be the perfect sacrifice.

Yes to Owen :cool:

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
I don't see Owen coming back if liverpool dosn't qualify for the CL. He want's to play in the CL. If lpool dosn't qualify for the CL than he probably moves to Arsenal or Chelsea (damn).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm all for a owen-gerrard swap :smileani:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
Though he isn't the MO10 we knew back in teh Treble years, i'd still be interested if we got him for under 8mil.
How do you work that out? According to my Spanish 'friend' he has never scored 20 goals in the Premiership in one season yet last season he scored 16 goals in 29 appearances during a season disrupted by injury. Early in the season he had 8 goals in 12 games, before the injury if I recall correctly.

And despite scoring 16 goals in 29 appearances a lot of numpties claim he had a bad season, probably read it in the sun or something :rollani:

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
do you also remember how pissed and non hard workign he was for much of last season? Hell half of the people here were pissing all over him telling him to F8ck off to real madrid and now we all want him back ?

sure the numbers may add up, but he isn't as fast and his game's changed a bit, which is what i really meant to say

1 - 20 of 25 Posts