Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owen won't commit long-term to Liverpool
tribalfootball.com - March 29, 2004

Michael Owen will sign a new contract with Liverpool before the end of the season.

However, the Sunday Mirror says the deal will only extend his stay at Anfield by one more season.

Boss Gerard Houllier had been hoping to persuade 24-year-old Owen to sign a new five-year contract. But Owen isn't prepared to commit himself long-term because of the uncertainty at the club.

An Anfield insider said: "Gerard Houllier was looking for a much longer deal that would have kept Michael at Liverpool until he was nearly 30.

"But, understandably, the player isn't keen to sign up for that length of deal given the uncertainty at the club and the lack of success in terms of trophies. Another season at least takes some of the pressure off Gerard Houllier and leaves Owen's options open.

D

·
0 Posts
Sell him, replace him with Eto'o. Cisse and Eto'o would be unstoppable. Get an RW, a CB, an LB and a new manager and we'd be set. Guily, Ferrari, Quedrue and Mourinho would be perfect.

Dudek

Finnan-Henchoz-Ferrari-Quedrue

Guily-Gerrard-Hamann-Kewell

Cisse-Eto'o

Boss: Mourinho

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
1 More season ? Why so we can go through this again next season ?, if he wants to sign a one year deal we should let him and then sell for a bigger price, because with less than 18months on his current contract we wont get as much for him as we would normally ala what we did to Leeds for our Harry.

He can either sign a long term contract and or go to where he wants in the summer.

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
It obviously depends on whether Foolier stays. If he's not off in the summer Owen will be. This way he ensures you get some money for him, at least.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
kinda glad, but kinda sad. i mean, we could sell him for good money. if he will rekindle his liverpool fire i will be glad to take him still.
he's got to show the FANS what he is capable of.
he's got to show the CLUB what he's all about.
and he's got to show the WORLD that he can still cut it.
face it, he hasn't turned all his potential into goals, and all that hope we piled on him, he plays like shit now. I don't know if its houllier's fault, or he wants out, but if he's going to stay another season, he can't waste a starting spot.

bring back the Real Liverpool Owen. We still believe in you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
if its for one more season, then that must mean Liverpool next season will win the Treble :D

why? if Owen is goin now, Liverpool will be making a big loss, and no profit. SO! next season Owen will be the top scorer and bring bak the good ol liverpool winning days

D

·
0 Posts
We got him for nothing, he's scored lots of goals for us, we'd get £20mil if we sold him.

What loss would there be?? we could easily replace him for that kind of cash. Samuel Eto'o is a better player and would cost about half that. Eto'o and Cisse would destroy any defense in Europe.

·
Registered
394 Posts
if he will rekindle his liverpool fire i will be glad to take him still.
maybe if/when houllier goes, Owen might hit form again. I hope so for Englands sake at least. I still rate him.

Can't understand why Eto is still at Mallorca though. He is very underrated, and a consistent goal scorer. (i'm pretty sure he must be finishing in the top ten goal scorers in la liga each season)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think next season will be Michael Owens last season as a Liverpool player. Unless the club bring in a new manager and he changes things around because we cant carry on like this. Houllier is turning our club into a shambles

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Owen tells Liverpool: I'm staying
tribalfootball.com - May 11, 2004

Liverpool striker Michael Owen has pledged his future to Anfield.
"We will sort something out amicably next summer," he said. "I won't just up and leave on a Bosman.

"I have the rest of this season and all next left on my contract but talks have already started on a new one."

"Inevitably, the talks are complex though and don't get done in just a week. But I certainly see myself at Liverpool next year. Why not?

"I'm not in football for the money. And that is largely what it means when players sit out their contracts and go for free.

"I've got a reasonable collection of trophies already, but I want more and that's the main thing in my mind.

"I read that the manager [Gerard Houllier] says he expects me to go abroad at some stage and I certainly would not rule anything out.

"I am very ambitious and want to play at the highest level but there is now reason that can't be with Liverpool."

D

·
0 Posts
he's going to sign a one/two year extension and leave next summer unless houllier pisses off back to france.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts