Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are ur thoughts on Ericsson's suprise decision?

To me its a big shock, and as good as the youngster is, i just cant see him being a captain....

MAYBE Neville would have been a better choice! But sol and rio would have been da obvious back-ups for Becksy (But i believe they are both injured!)

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
As much as I am proud to see him at that position I don't think there is need to do so much fuss over it like the media seemingly does. It's just one friendly game, not the World Cup final. As said, I have a feeling it's just a preparation for the future.

Still, great honour for him. :)

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Sure he's a good candidate for captain in the future, but now???
for someone who doesnt like England or the English league your sure on this board alot....

Dont worry Beck's will be back in time to put on the 3 lions shirt

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
England’s new captain, Michael Owen, this morning spoke of his surprise at being named as deputy to David Beckham for tomorrow night’s game against Paraguay whilst the Manchester United start recovers from his foot injury.

Owen, who is England’s second youngest captain ever behind Bobby Moore, said; "It’s obviously a great honour to be named captain,

"When the manager told me I was straight on the phone to mum and dad and friends and family.

"It was a complete surprise. People had been naming a few that could get it but it was a surprise and a pleasant one. (Being at Anfield) completes it all, in front of your home fans on the pitch you know best.

"It’s something I’ve always dreamed of, to get it at 22 is sooner than I imagined. It’s going to be a great occasion.’’

"I wasn’t expecting to be named the captain. There were a lot of other names in the squad (who could be captain) and still could be. If a couple of leading candidates were injured then there are other candidates.

"Playing at Anfield could have had something to do with it. But so many other players could have been captain. It’s an honour to do it.’’

Owen does not believe the captaincy will change his approach to the game.

"I will try to be as natural as possible. I won’t do too much different, no screaming and shouting.

"If that prepares me right for the game then I’ll stick to that. I can lead by example.’’

Owen believes his own youthfulness, and that of the team, can only help them in the future.

"We are a young side so whatever we do, we are going to improve.

"We have the attributes now to have a very successful World Cup.’’

Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard was "over the moon" for his club team mate being named skipper and said; "He’s very happy, he’s back at Anfield with the armband.

"He’s had a bit of a hard time lately but he scored on Saturday and been made England captain which will give him a great boost for our last few games."

Gerrard also believes that playing against Paraguay who play a different style than England ared used to will help them to prepare for Korea and Japan.

"I’ve watched Paraguay a couple of times and they will be similar to Argentina in a way so it’ll be a good way to prepare for the World Cup game.

"We need to give the fans something to look forward to, to put on a good show and get a bit of confidence of going. We’ve had a few bad results lately and we need to put them behind us and start winning again.

"Everyone’s starting to talk about the World Cup a lot more and everyone’s looking forward to the World Cup a lot more now.’’

·
Registered
3 Posts
Michael Owen hasn't got enough experience yet, i would still have beckham as my captain.
But would you have Seaman in goals????Hes past it now surely!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Russell said:

for someone who doesnt like England or the English league your sure on this board alot....

Dont worry Beck's will be back in time to put on the 3 lions shirt
My best friend is a big, I mean BIG ENGLAND SUPPORTER. :D
So we always tease each other!

·
International
9,526 Posts
I can see the process behind it. Beckham as captain was a huge surprise as well...people said he's too inexperienced, and not a few said he was too 'thick'! But his actions on the pitch speak louder than any words could, and the same may well be said of Owen who does tend to conduct himself in an extremely professional manner, and just happens to be one of the best strikers in the world as well. If you have the respect of your manager, the fans and most importantly, your teammates, then theres no reason why he shouldn't try the captaincy out.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Yes they did say this, maybe he isnt Einstien, but actions DO speak louder then words, as fred pointed out. I as many others know Beckham is a simple nice guy, who tries his 100% each game, but calling him thick wasnt nice :( . ( i havent seen the Media slag Beckham off for ages, only praise-maybe a bit too much. )

I would say Owen is a role model to kid's, do we see in the papers "owen in drunken brawl" like a typical Leeds player. or "Owen in sex scandal" :D no we dont. On a whole he is a clean player who i would hope youngsters would try to aspire to, so maybe he isnt such a bad choice after all? :angel:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
There is nothing wrong in picking a young guy
I agree 90% with you, i'd agree with you for 10% more if you changed "TEAMS supported" to MAnchester united :)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Russell said:

I agree 90% with you, i'd agree with you for 10% more if you changed "TEAMS supported" to MAnchester united :)
hehhehe:D

There are two XT mambers that support ManU/Lazio, that i know of.....

And i wont be the third one;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
No to Owen...!!! :D

Yes to G.Neville or Gerrard!!!

Don't worry Beckham will make it to the WC ... if not Sol and Rio will... These are the names which certainly be the captain of England NT.

:excited:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
i agree taht he hasn't got enough experience to be the captain for England...i'd pick someone who's more experience like seaman/martyn...or maybe even g.neville...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sol and Rio are injured, so Owen wont be captain for long.
Becks, Sol and Rio must all be ahead of him!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Russell said:

How come? is this true an Italian a 'big' ENGLAND supporter? how is this possible mdelpiero10? :eek:
Dude, whoever said that my friend is an Italian?
He's Indonesian but his love for the England team is unquestionable! :tongue:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts