Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did owen really said like that.....5 goals?? :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
OWEN: NO DISRESPECT SHOWN

Michael Owen has responded to Carlos Alberto's astonishing attack on him by insisting he had never predicted a five-goal haul against Azerbaijan.

The Brazilian legend, who led his country to World Cup success in 1970, turned on Owen in a bizarre 10-minute post-match rant after his Azerbaijan side had lost 2-0 to England at St James' Park.

Owen, who carefully avoided making a pre-match vow to match Malcolm Macdonald's mark of five goals in an England game, missed several chances and was ruled out of the next qualifier in Wales with a booking.

But Carlos Alberto, clearly misguided by pre-match reports into believing Owen had predicted a five-goal salvo, asked: "Who is this midget anyway, what has he ever won?"

He went on to say that Owen "should wash his tongue" and that he should "clean David Beckham's boots".

Owen reacted to the withering personal criticism by releasing a statement.

He said: "If he (Carlos Alberto) checks my pre-match quotes he will realise that I never said anything about scoring five goals - I would never be so disrespectful.

"He would, though, be perfectly within his rights to criticise my performance - I've certainly had better games in an England shirt.

"Fortunately I am a mentally strong person and believe I will learn from the experience and continue to improve as a player and person because of it."

In his post-mach press conference rant Carlos Alberto said of Owen: "This man - what's his name? The number 10, the small one who doesn't play in the Real Madrid first team - said that if Poland beat Azerbaijan 8-0, England should score at least eight and he'd score five of them.

"But he must respect everyone. Who is Michael Owen anyway? What has he ever won in football? He plays for Real Madrid but he is always on the bench.

"It is not right for him to say that he can score five goals against Azerbaijan. Where are those five goals tonight?

"He didn't score one. Sven-Goran Eriksson is a good man, he should teach him to respect everyone. Who is he anyway? Who is he?

"I have a history in football but what is the history of this guy, this midget? He ought to clean his tongue and wash the boots of David Beckham as they are so wet."

Owen had done little to earn Carlos Alberto's wrath in the build-up to the game, having pointedly failed to respond to questions about Macdonald's record, dating back to 1975 against Cyprus.

"I wasn't aware that five was the record and that's a fantastic feat. I've scored four goals a couple of times before, but I don't remember ever scoring five in a game," he had said on Monday.

"But 8-0 against Poland has certainly got everyone thinking there could be a few goals about.

"Many years ago, there were plenty of cricket scores in international football and these chances are few and far between, but winning the game is the most important thing."

Something was, however, then lost in translation, prompting Carlos Alberto to conclude: "He is not a man. I would say this to his face if he was here.

"I just hope he is back on the bench when Real Madrid play this weekend."

Eriksson jumped to the defence of Owen, who has previously been voted European player of the year and won several cups with Liverpool.

The England coach, who seemed bemused by the ferocity of Carlos Alberto's attack, backed Owen saying: "From what I know about Michael Owen, he would never say things like that. It's not his style.

"He might have said that he hoped he would score a lot of goals, but he would never have said that he would go out and score five goals or whatever. I'm sorry if there was any misunderstanding."

·
20,440 Posts
Ill move that to the C&P thread later.

·
20,440 Posts
thats what he said before the game:

Owen gunning for Al record
by Patrick Goss - created on 27 Mar 2005

Michael Owen is keen to move level with Alan Shearer in the all-time goalscorers list for England, with the Real Madrid star insisting that there is no better place to do it that St James' Park.

Owen scored in England's 4-0 thumping of Northern Ireland on Saturday, and another goal will take him level with Newcastle hero Shearer.

With England due to play Azerbaijan on Wednesday in the North East, Owen is hopeful that he can continue his goalscoring form and continue to move up the goalscoring chart.

"It would be nice to do it at St James' Park," said Owen.

"I'm friendly with Alan and I'm sure if I do it up there then he'll be the first on the phone to congratulate me. It would be nice if I could do it on his ground.

"I think about history a lot of the time, and whenever I score I look in the newspapers the next day and see where I've moved to in the scoring chart.

"And I know if I score another two I'll jump up to fourth ahead of Tom Finney.

"Getting the all-time record is obviously something I think about and hopefully it might happen one day in my career.

"I'm only 25 and I've got plenty of games to come and the main barrier to me is not getting those games through a loss of form or injury."

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
He didn't say anything wrong...

but still, Carlos Alberto's attack was hilariously psycho!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
What exactly is a midget?

·
20,440 Posts
"If that is the case then I accept his apology and apologise back to him," he [Carlos Alberto] said.

Accept his apologies? Wasnt Carlos Alberto the one who couldnt read and blasted him? :confused: That guy is a joke.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Setzer said:
Didn't he win something called Golden Ball? :rollani:

:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
acmilan2005 said:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is he capable of scoring 5 goals in 1 match...... :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
dude u never heard of carlos alberto perreira.............he was the star of the 1970 worldcup and made franz beckenbauer look like a clown in the world cup..........micheal owen is nothing compared to him..............

ps: no offences meant to the kaiser

·
20,440 Posts
bronx_bull said:
dude u never heard of carlos alberto perreira.............he was the star of the 1970 worldcup and made franz beckenbauer look like a clown in the world cup..........micheal owen is nothing compared to him..............

whoever he is or thinks he is, he has no right to trash a person publically like that. its just disgraceful. :thmbdown:

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LaBlanca said:
whoever he is or thinks he is, he has no right to trash a person publically like that. its just disgraceful. :thmbdown:

:thmbup: :thmbup: :thmbup:

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
LaBlanca said:
Agreed. Owen obviously never made those remarks if you know Owen.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
bronx_bull said:

Carlos Alberto Torres (Parreira never was a footballer and was a physio in Brasil's delegation in that cup)... And Brasil didn't face Germany in their run on that wc...

Indeed a legendary right back (personally I would pick Djalma Santos over him in an all-time team, though) but surely not the star of that team (he was the captain and a fundamental piece on the squad for his leadership though). His goal against Italy (last goal of that final) was something special (specially if you consider the great build play prior to the thunderous strike)...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
yea owens too nice a guy to make such remarks, hes soft-spoken and hes scored again for us!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts