·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the standard via soccernet

----------------------------------------

Gunners line up Pires as Lazio target Overmars
By Steve Stammers in
Casablanca

Arsenal will renew their efforts to sign French winger Robert Pires from Olympique
Marseille if they sell Marc Overmars to Lazio.

Overmars, who will play for Holland in Euro 2000, has emerged as a £15million
target for the Serie A champions.

In contrast, Arsenal could snap up Pires for around £6m - and the player is keen
to come to Highbury.

As France complete their warm-up games for Euro 2000 with a clash against
Morocco in Casablanca in the final of the King Hassan II tournament tonight, Pires
made it clear he wants to play for Arsene Wenger.

The French star said: 'I have seen how playing in England has helped players like
Emmanuel Petit, Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry. I would love to join them at
Arsenal. It would be a big benefit to me, I believe.'

The Italian club's interest in Overmars comes soon after the news that Juventus
want Vieira.

Lazio vice-president Massimo Cragnotti is expected in London in the next three or
four days in an attempt to thrash out a deal.

Overmars still has three years left on his contract at Highbury but, as was seen in
the stubborn stance taken by Nicolas Anelka a year ago when he success-fully
demanded to join Real Madrid, contracts guarantee only hefty financial
compensation, not loyalty.

If he gives his representatives the go-ahead, a deal can be arranged without him
having to leave the Dutch camp. And the indications are that if the deal is
attractive enough, Overmars will leave.

He has been constantly linked with a move to Barcelona for much of the season
but that evaporated when his compatriot Luis Van Gaal was sacked as manager.

But Lazio would also appeal to the ambitious Overmars who joined Arsenal three
years ago from Ajax for £7.5m.

----------------------------------------

As the season drew to a close my views on the possibility of ovarmars leaving was one of indifference. If he preferred to play at barcelona then he could f*uck off. However, my opinion has modified considerably since then, the fact is that although his perfromances have been in decline since the double year, he is none the less perfect for arsenal. There is no point us employing someone who is going to put great crosses in the box since we effectively play with only a single striker, and the central midfield pairing rarely join the attack. What we need is someone who is going to cut inside, attack the box, and score goals, which is what overmars does so excellently. With overmars and pires, flanking viera and petit in midfield, I feel we genuanly have a chance of greatness. We don't need the money, wenger already has a tranfer budget of around £30m and I doubt he will spend in excess of that whether overmars is retained or otherwise. I doubt overmars would push for a move to lazio, seria a is not primera liga, and lazio is not barcelona, it also means that he probably would never get the oppotunity to leave for the nou camp. So why sell?

However if the worse does come to the worse, and he does depart, who will replace him. Lazio has certain players that could intrest wenger, Nedved or s.conceicao, however I feel neither is particularly likely to join us. Another alternative would be gronkjaer form ajax, who has reportedly been looked at by arsenal in the past, or lurling who would be able to cover both the wing and the 4th striker positions. What I do feel certain of though, is that if overmars leaves, then pires will definatly be a arsenal player next season.

·
Registered
14,769 Posts
This is an interesting offer from Lazio, i wonder what will happen to all the midfields in Lazio if they are looking forward to purchase Rivaldo as well.

Well i think this is a fight between Barca and Lazio, because i think overmars is keen to leave arsenal with the disappointing season.

what do you guys think??

BTW, even though i like lazio a lot, i hope they would fail with the new purchases, because buying new players mean buying new problems, i hope theyd realise that in time.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you.
It's the best to keep the winning team.

------------------
Forza Lazio

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i reckon no one is going to leave arsenal this close season
petit has just said that he doesnt want to leave.....but it was from soccernet
overmars has said he doesnt want to leave
pires i think will come even if no one leaves. i read that he had signed for arsenal, and would do a medical after euro2000

------------------
LOOSE MOOSE

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The asking price for Overmars has now jumped up to 25 million, Lazio has also given up on Rivaldo

[This message has been edited by Lazio_Miha_11 (edited 07-06-2000).]

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Overmars Lazio deal twist ««
Arsenal are reportedly ready to sell Marc Overmars to Lazio if they meet a £16.5m fee and give them Juan Sebastien Veron in return.
The reports claim that Arsenal are essentially unwilling to release Overmars but are tempted by the possible size of what would be a new club record fee.
It is even suggested that Arsenal will try to tempt Veron into a move to London but this would seem to be extremely unlikely.
Arsenal have not made any comment on the matter as yet but it is concerning that the club have not denied the essence of the story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's up to Marc Overmars himself then he'll stay at Highbury.
He's willing to stay at Arsenal and finish his contract and has spoken very little about a transfer to Lazio, his agent hasn't said anything either.
If this Veron and money exchange is true, coach Wenger may have other ideas as to where Overmars will be playing next season.
I personally think Overmars will stay with Arsenal for at least another season.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Lazio has extended Veron's contract till 2002 a few weeks ago, so I don't think he's involved in this deal...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i really doubt lazio would swap veron for overmars
veron in my opinion is much better than overmars
veron is probably considered to be one of the best in the world, while overmars is damn good, hes not one of the best

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i really doubt lazio would swap veron for overmars
veron in my opinion is much better than overmars
veron is probably considered to be one of the best in the world, while overmars is damn good, hes not one of the best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts