Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day I spent a while trying to talk a team-mate of mine out of quitting our team and moving to the over 35 league. He's an 36 year old Dutch fellow and the best defender I've ever played with. He's silky smooth on the ball, he reads the game so well and he is a superb at tackling. He just adds class to our back line.

He is still undecided but it got me thinking about older professional players. The more I thought about it the more I realized there are still quite a few very good footballers 35 and older.

Barring no injuries could this team be competive? Maldini marshalling the defense? Mihajlovic whipping in corners and freekicks? Fran and Cocu linking up on the left? Scholl and Cafu dominating the right? Bergkamp running the offense with Shearer and Zola to bag goals?

For arguments sake all these players were born 1970 or later, Cafu turns 35 this year. I came up with these off the top of my head, I might have missed someone. I think this team could get a champions league spot in any of the top leagues. Maybe a poll would be nice.

-----------------Cañizares
Cafu -----Mihajlovic---Sensini----Maldini
------------------Bosvelt
---------Scholl-------------Cocu
-------------------Fran
-----------Shearer------Bergkamp

Bench - Kahn, Chiesa, Costacurta, Batistuta, Linke, Zola, Ferrara

·
Premium Member
27,260 Posts
Very interesting thought, I must admit. But honestly, I have no idea what to expect from such a team. They have class and experience, no doubt. But speed, stamina, reflexes etc?

I don't know, but since you mentioned it, I'd love to see such a team compete...

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Shearer was born in 1970 .....forgot about Bosvelt, I'll add him :thmbup:

Sensini in my eyes in one the the best defenders to ever play in Serie A. He can play as a DC, DM and has been a key player for Udinese this season.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Take Mihajlovic out, put Sensini in defence and Bosvelt at dm. Mihajlovic is vulnerable at cb. Furthermore, Cocu is played out of position but he's played at lb a couple of times so i'm sure he'll do well. Also i'm not convinced all these players could play all matches 90 mins for a whole season. But it looks like a decent team. Won't become champions but top 7 should be possible in any league. Nice topic :thumbsup:

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some good observations, I'll change the line up a little bit :thumbsup:

Mihajlovic has been having a good year and he gives up little if anything to Sensini in defending. His set-pieces more then make up for it. Cocu can play anywhere on the left, but he is better in midfield.

How about moving Maldini to left-back, Mihajlovic/Sensini in the middle and Cocu/Bosvelt into midfield....

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right Bench :D

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
if Pessotto is over 35 then i bet that he can catch a spot i this team :thumbsup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Of course , much better than Maldini or Cafu eh ? ;)
I'd put Zola instead of Fran.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts