1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Official Rumor Thread

Leeds Warn Kewell That He'll Be Sold If He Doesn't Sign A New Deal
News Archive

Leeds don't want to lose Kewell on a free (Allsport)
05/16/2002. Leeds have warned their Australian midfielder Harry Kewell that they will be forced to sell him if he doesn't sign a new deal at Elland Road soon.

Chairman Peter Ridsdale isn't prepared to risk losing his star player on a free transfer when his contract expires at the end of next season.

"Harry will not be allowed to leave on a Bosman transfer," Ridsdale told the Yorkshire Post.

"I would think that the club will sit down with Harry some time before Christmas to discuss the possibility of him signing a new contract.

"I cannot comment on what his plans and ambitions are.

"But clearly we would have to look closely at his situation if a new long-term contract couldn't be agreed."

soccerage

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
UNITED WARN KEWELL OVER FUTURE

UNITED WARN KEWELL OVER FUTURE
by Hugh Middleton

LEEDS UNITED have warned Australian ace Harry Kewell that he will be sold if he does not sign a new deal with the club.
The 23-year-old international, who has never hidden his desire to play abroad in the future, has hinted that he could leave Elland Road when his contract expires in two seasons.

"I am hoping to stay at Leeds, I will be wearing the white shirt next year," said Kewell.

"I have still got two years left on my contract and hopefully I'll be here for those two years.

"My thoughts have always been that I would like to move at some stage in my career because I would like to try a different country.

"I came here when I was young and have always said I would like to try Italy or Spain, but at the moment I am happy at Leeds and feel we could do something here."

Leeds Chairman Peter Ridsdale is adamant that he will not allow Kewell to leave on a free transfer and if he does not sign a new deal is prepared to sell him rather than risk losing him for nothing.

"He will not be allowed to leave on a Bosman transfer," Ridsdale told Yorkshire Post.

"I would think that the club will sit down with Harry some time before Christmas to discuss the possibility of him signing a new contract.

"I cannot comment on what his plans and ambitions are, but clearly we would have to look closely at his situation if a new long-term contract couldn't be agreed."

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Well according to the official site both Harte and Mills want to stay, so I doubt they'll leave. All these Bowyer rumours just seem a bit unbelievable, I really doubt he'll leave.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Everybody is saying they want to stay, it does not mean that they will. They can't exactly say they want to leave, it will make them look real bad. If they go after saying they didn't want to leave it makes them look like a team player. :mad: I really don't know who wil go, we all know someone has to...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I don't think so, he has to do what his current club tells him to... That is in his contract.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wednesday, May 29, 2002
Joint denial of Ferdinand transfer claim

Leeds and Manchester United issued a joint statement today to dismiss reports that Rio Ferdinand is on the verge of moving to Old Trafford.
Reports have suggested that Ferdinand has agreed to move across the Pennines and that the move will be finalised after the World Cup.

But Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale today denied the claims and said Ferdinand, who has a contract for four more years, was staying at Elland Road.

The statement read: 'The directors of Manchester United and Leeds wish to put the record straight. No deal has struck between the clubs and... Manchester United wish to point out that they have not made an illegal approach by forwarding a contract to Rio Ferdinand in Japan, or a list of houses in Cheshire for his perusal.'

soccernet

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kelly To Sunderland Rumour Dismissed By Leeds
News Archive

Kelly may leave Leeds, but not quite yet (Allsport)
05/30/2002. Leeds United have quashed press speculation that Gary Kelly was set for a ?m move to Sunderland today.

The right-back was largely sidelined last season due to the form of Danny Mills of late, however Leeds have re-itterated that no bids have been forthcoming for any players, although chairman Peter Ridsdale admits that the club may have to offload before they can purchase.

He told the official Leeds web site, "If the timing is right we will sell first, but if the timing is right we will buy. We are looking to trim the squad, but I would expect to make a positive contribution to the transfer activity during the summer."

Sunderland signed Phil Babb from Sporting Lisbon earlier this week, although Kelly has admitted that he may need to move for regular first team football.

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Leeds boss confident of landing ex-Liverpool ace McManaman
tribalfootball.com - May 31, 2002

Leeds United remain in the hunt for Real Madrid midfielder Steve McManaman.
Press reports yesterday state that boss David O'Leary has not been put off by McManaman's claims he is happy at Real and will make official enquiries over the summer.

Leeds striker Robbie Fowler has already said he'd love to see his good friend and ex-Liverpool teammate at Elland Road next season.

Adding further fuel to the fire is Real's insistence that all players - bar Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane and Raul - are available for the right price.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leeds' Kelly agrees to Sunderland move
tribalfootball.com - May 31, 2002

Sunderland have reached an agreement with Leeds United fullback Gary Kelly over a £4 million move to Wearside.
Kelly has reportedly agreed terms with the Black Cats and will complete the switch after the World Cup.

Sunderland boss Peter Reid landed Republic of Ireland international Phil Babb yesterday and is set to welcome another Irish player in Tranmere's Sean Thornton in June.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dacourt rejects Lazio to stay with Leeds

Thursday 30th May 2002

Leeds United midfielder Olivier Dacourt has killed stone-dead any chance of a deal with Lazio, and now looks set to stay at Elland Road next season.

The Yorkshire club's chairman Peter Ridsdale admitted he had been prepared to let the Frenchman go to Italy, and even agreed a deal with Lazio thought to be worth around £16 million, but Dacourt has had the final say.

"We had an offer from Lazio which we accepted and we gave the player permission to talk to them," Ridsdale told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

"He's decided against it and that's the end of the matter as far as we are concerned."

Dacourt's agent Bruno Satin also dismissed the chances of his client playing elsewhere in Italy.

"We've heard nothing from Juventus," he said. "Olly turned down Lazio and he's not interested in going there.

"He's always given his best for Leeds and it would be unfair for anyone to say anything to the contrary.

"He's playing at a big club, he likes where he lives and he likes his team-mates. For the moment Olly is staying at Leeds and there is nothing else to say."

In April, Dacourt had seemed all set for Lazio as Leeds, who did not qualify for the Champions' League, contemplated a clearout of some of the high-earners at the club.

But Dacourt has always maintained that he wanted to stay with Leeds, provided they continued to match his ambitions by keeping the bulk of the squad together.

onefootball

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
We can only hope. I'm surprised he sadi no to Lazio. Good old Ollie! :tongue:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
And that Lazio will not get anywhere... :D :tongue:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Sometimes... lol :howler:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
There is an awful lot of racial abuse at Lazio and I'm sure Dacourt realises that if he stays at Leeds for another couple of seasons he will be playing Champions League football.
I'm not sure as to whether Dacourt will go or not, I've seen so many newspaper reports saying he wants to stay and then others saying he wants to leave...I just don't know what to believe!
I think Kewell will stay on until Christmas and if he hasn't signed a new deal by then he will leave...Viduka might stay if he gets a pay rise and Kelly will go to Celtic...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I just don't know what to believe!
I don't think PR and DO know either... All this assumption from the media has made me dizzy. They really know how to mess around with stuff...

1 - 20 of 357 Posts