Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when your goalie gets a red card and there are no more subs to be made, one of your outfield players steps in to play goalie. We've seen Rio Ferdinand do it. Who are the others and who are the best at it?

·
*the drum drum*
43,002 Posts
Tuncay Sanli had a run there in the European Cup last year in the classic Turkey v Czech Rep. match.

Rustu the legendary Turkish GK was actually a forward until his late teens when he was 'forced' to play in goal one day and excelled so much at it that he was forced into a permanent switch. I think he was 17, and seeing him make clearances with his feet and take a penalty one day I can't understand how he ever played as a forward because he's woeful with his feet.

Daniel Pancu and Bobo have played in goal for Besiktas, Pancu in a classic match that they won 4-3 away to Fenerbahçe.

·
Registered
62,645 Posts
Farinos (Valencia-Inter in the 01-02 UEFA Cup) comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I remember Niall Quinn did it for Man City. Scored a goal then saved a penalty.

·
Administrator
53,215 Posts
Hehe, a certain bald Croat player is the best I have seen ;) :shades:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

·
Registered
46,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to give Dagoods an orgasm but I think it was Pineda who stepped in goal for Udinese against Inter in the 97/98 season when the keeper got sent off for a handball just outside the area. Ronaldo took the free-kick and scored the clincher for Inter. Djorkaeff scored from a backward header earlier. So it isn't the best example of a successful run in goal but since this memory is the closest Dagoods will get to getting laid, why not?

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
Michael Tarnat for Bayern back in the day, I think he played around 30 minutes as their keeper and still managed to keep a clean sheet despite Bayern being down two men.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
I remember Elber also being the goalie for Bayern.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
O'Shea has to win it for that one-on-save against Robbie Keane. Absolute quality. He's certainly a better keeper than he is a left back.

·
Registered
46,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would agree, but after hearing about the heroics of guys like Quinn, Petric, Tarnat and even Glen Johnson, I'm not so sure now...

·
Registered
27,416 Posts
David Di Michele, saved a penalty from Vucinic a few years back, after scoring two goals in Udinese's 5-4 win over Lecce.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts