Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
National team coach Wanderley Luxemburgo named his squad of 22 players on Tuesday 04 July in the Hotel Meridien, Rio de Janeiro to play against Paraguay on 18 July, in the Defensores Del Chaco stadium in Asuncion, and Argentina on 26 July, in Morumbi, Sao Paulo. Both games are valid for the 2002 World Cup qualifiers (South American Division).
The full list of players called up for international duty is as follows:

Keepers

Dida (Milan) and Marcos (Palmeiras)

Wingers

Cafu (Rome), Evanilson (Borussia Dortmund), Junior (Palmeiras) and Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid)

Full Backs

Antonio Carlos (Rome), Fabio Luciano (Corinthians), Edmilson (Sao Paulo), Roque Junior (Milan)

Defensive midfielders
Emerson (Bayer Leverkusen), Vampeta (Corinthians), Flavio Conceicao (Deportivo de La Coruna), Cesar Sampaio (Palmeiras)

Offensive midfielders

Ze Roberto (Bayer Leverkusen), Djalminha (Deportivo la Coruna), Rivaldo (Barcelona) and Alex (Palmeiras)

Strikers

Ronaldinho (Gremio), Guilherme (Atletico Mineiro), Marques (Atletico Mineiro) and Franca (Sao Paulo)

It was the first time that Wanderley has called up Edmilson, Fabio Luciano, Marques and Djalminha. Edmilson and Fabio Luciano have never played for their country before at any level.

Full back Antonio Carlos could not be included in the line up against Paraguay, as he has to sit out a suspension for accumulated yellow cards. He will, however, be able to play against Argentina.

The squad will meet on 10 July in Iguacu Falls where they will train until 25 July. The team will leave for Asuncion on 17 July, but will return to the Falls the next day. They travel to Sao Paulo for the match against Argentina on 25 July.

The Brazilian delegation will be staying at the Hotel Bourbon in Iguacu Falls and will probably train at Flamengo de Foz and ABC’s facilities, the same as were used by the squad training for the pre-Olympic tournament.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Praise God, Aldair is gone!!! Finally we are moving in the right direction!

OK, now I see that Luxemburgo is giving chances to some good guys, like Marcos and Roque Junior. But where is Marcos Assuncao?

And why is Cesar Sampaio in the team? It is time to end the international careers of the old guys from the WC98 team and build a new team around Dida, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Emerson, Alex and Ronaldinho Gaucho. Take those 7 players and slowly work in 4 more, and you have a team guaranteed to win!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Aldair dropped by Brazil

RIO DE JANEIRO (July 4, 2000 2:56 p.m. EDT http://www.sportserver.com) - Brazil coach Wanderley Luxemburgo brought veteran defender Aldair's international career to an ignominious end on Tuesday, dropping him from the squad for this month's World Cup matches against Paraguay and Argentina.

Luxemburgo, who named uncapped defenders Fabio Luciano and Edmilson in a 22-man squad, made it clear that Aldair, 34, would not be picked again.

"I apologize to Aldair for having managed to convince him to come back to the national team," said Luxemburgo. "I convinced him and exposed him to the criticism that he is receiving at the moment.

"I want to preserve his image...by not picking him any more for the Brazilian team.

"I thank him for everything he has done for Brazilian football when I wasn't here and everything he has done for me."

Aldair, who made his international debut against Ecuador in 1989, won 79 full international caps and played for his country in two World Cups. He won the World Cup in 1994 and two Copa America tournaments, in 1989 and 1997.

But he was blamed for giving away a goal in Brazil's 1-1 draw at home to Uruguay last week. He was mercilessly jeered by a 70,000 crowd in Rio de Janeiro, who chanted "Aldair, ask to go off," and mauled by the media afterwards.

Ironically, Aldair was left out of last year's Copa America at his own request but was persuaded to return for the World Cup qualifiers.

Brazil have won two and drawn two of their World Cup qualifiers so far but their performances have been way below the level expected of them.

"Aldair was not the only one to blame for the draw against Uruguay," said Luxemburgo, who himself had to endure chants of "Idiot, idiot" and "Get out, Wanderley" during the match.

"I'm the coach and I'm 70 percent responsible. That is how it works."

The newcomers were Corinthians central defender Fabio Luciano and Sao Paulo's Edmilson, who can play in defence or midfield.

Luxemburgo also recalled Deportivo Coruna's gifted and temperamental midfielder Djalminha, whose last international was three years ago.

Brazil faces Paraguay in Asuncion on July 18 and Argentina in Sao Paulo one week later.
--------------------------------
luxemburgo said he will not pick aldair anymore so he can "preserve his image." well, it is time to preserve cesar sampaio's image now!!!

one by one, we have to remove these old bums from the team.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
i quited liked this call up.
no aldair, no savio , no amoroso, no jardel, no elber (injured).
pity my favourites are not in, but then again they have not played for over a month and they wouold be a disaster , as they got no rythm.
Loved Edmilson, and my FAbio Luciano:):)
falcao, we need Cedsar Sampio...we need some xtra bite in the middle..also he is experienced and has never let us down..scoring 3 goals in the WC....against Ronaldo's 4!

team shouold be againt paraguay

Dida

CAfu Edimilson Roque Jr RC

C. Sampaio VAmpeta

Djalminha or ALex RIvaldo

Ronaldinho Franca

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Ze Da Fiel,by next spring you will beg Luxemburgo to start Amoroso...

Can you please list ALEX as a Pamr player from now on?

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...a Pamr player, Amo...your overexited :)

CESF
CESC

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those that thought that the national squad would remain unchanged for the World Cup qualifiers have been proved wrong - and how. Wanderley Luxemburgo has called up five new players for the next two games against Paraguay (18/07) in Asuncion, and Argentina (26/07) in Sao Paulo. Winger Junior of Palmeiras, full backs Edmilson of Sao Paulo and Fabio Luciano of the Corinthians, along with striker Marques (Atletico Mineiro) were all called up to represent their country for the first time last Tuesday.

In the collective interview that he gave after announcing the 22-player squad, Wanderley explained his reasons for selecting the five new players, why he did not call up the veteran Aldair, who has been a permanent fixture in the first team over the last few months and analysed the criticisms of the team’s poor showing against Uruguay.

Was there any special reason why you did not call upon the services of full back Aldair?

Wanderley Luxemburgo: I am sorry not have Aldair in this situation. He is a great player with vast experience and certainly deserves no criticism I was responsible for getting him back on the team but I now feel that it is time to give some new blood a chance.

And the new full backs?

WL: Edmilson is a player that has proved how well he has adapted as a full back. Despite his multifaceted talents on the field, he is a solid defender. Fabio Luciano is another young player who is coming on well. In our search for the best defensive line up I thought that they both deserved a chance.

You yourself have just stated that they are young. Do you think that they will support the pressure?

WL: A player with all the World Cup experience of Aldair still suffers from pressure. Anyone called up to don the national strip has to be prepared to deal with this, whatever their age. They have to be both mentally and physically fit - if I did not think they were then I would not invite them to join the team.

How have you taken all the criticism levelled at Brazil over the last few months?

WL: It is perfectly normal. It would be foolish to imagine that anyone can run a national team and not come in for some flack.

One of the ideas being kicked around by the sporting media is to limit the selection to players in Brazil. If you did this do you think that the criticism would die down a little?

WL: The reality of the situation is very different I am afraid and we cannot change the system now. I would love it if all the best players in the game were playing in Brazil but that is not the case and is never likely to be so. I cannot afford to lose these stars. The technical committee, press and fans all have to understand that the players currently playing abroad are indispensable. Holland, France and Argentina are all going through the same crisis.

Is Brazil going to classify?

We will undoubtedly make the Cup. I believe that we can even afford to lose a game and still go through. Not that I would relish the experience. Any comparison with tournament leader Argentina is difficult. They have a far more solid team base and a re very much more used to this type of competition, we are still adapting and consolidating our squad.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Don't know tony!:(
probably he will only play the olympics if that? His injuries are getting to him, and like most brazilina players they have not been playing as their clubs have no committment to any tournament.
The next "big tournament" only starts on the 29th...while the Copa Do brasil is in the final and the new Copa dos Campeoes is coming up.
Luxemburgo will only call MArcelinho when he notices that playing with loads of left footers will not take him anywere, then he might call Junionho (vasco) or Marcelinho!:)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
luxemburgo is talking a lot of crap when he says he is giving young defenders a chance. he has had plenty of chances to use young players and he never did it. against england and wales in the friendlies, he should have used guys like the left back from arsenal for the whole game instead of playing roberto carlos. he also used aldair and antonio carlos in those games. are these young guys? he is only putting a couple of young guys in now because he has no choice: aldair is a bum.

and i don't care how good cesar sampaio is or what he did in world cup 98, he has no future in 2002, so he should not be playing now. it is stupid to play him in the qualifying games and then put a different guy in the wc2002 team.

B

·
0 Posts
I can remember a player called Guilherme who played for Rayo Vallecano a few years ago - is this the same person as the one included in Brazil´s squad?

PS Alexx: Austria had a pretty decent start, but my beloved green-white heroes will win it anyway :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...oh my god, please go away :) This is Ze da Fiel terretory and him and me have built a strict ANTI GREEN rule here. Plus, I will be even more fanatic than Ze (yes, Ze it's possible :) ) when you trick me into a homegrown rivalry thing here. So please have mercy with me and yourself AND NEVER EVER MENTION GREEN HERE AGAIN !!!!! UUNNDDEERRSSTTAANNDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise, feel welcome at the samba party :)

CESF
CESC

B

·
0 Posts
Ooops, sorry Alexx, I didn´t mean to stir you up :) Take it easy, a second rank in the end can be a very honorable thing... :p

I wish your guys good luck against Salamina today, they will need it. (just a, um, joke)

PS: thanks for the invitation, I quite like (soccer) parties. Unfortunately, I am not too much into Brazilian soccer, but I can learn... :)

[Edited by Bateman on 08-07-2000 at 10:04]

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..check the "Kafka" thread (and ask Don Jan for the lost 325 posts)...you'll find out this is not exactly ONLY about football here...

...and no more picking, I warn you !

Still, I understand you're from Linz, so you should be in the black-white camp (which is also the ALL MIGHTY CORINTHIANS camp - and OK, Amo, the PAOK camp as well). So get real, hope for LASK today and then meet our very own Natalya and Aston Villa next round)

CESF
(which means "Central European Section of Fiel" and stands for the fine European Corinthians supporting club, founded right here in this Forum and you're invited to join, but only on the strict condition OF NEVER EVER SERIOUSLY INDEED MENTION GREEN AGAIN)

CESC
(which means "Central European Section of Campioni", as we have a just as fine Lazio supporters gang :) )

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah...
:)

CESF
CESC

B

·
0 Posts
Alexx, I´ll try to avoid anything containing something green in here in future, so everything will be A-OK.

As far as black-white is concerned, I quite like the black-white fellas from Linz since they try to get along with mainly young players.

I also read the Kafka-thread before, so I do know that this forum is not particularly only about soccer - that´s one of the reasons why I like reading posts in the Brazilian forum!

So, once again: never mind... I´ll try to obey your rules here in future. :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great ! :)
Think about joining the European FIEL we promote here on a loose basis. Even if you havn't been into brazilian football before, it's fun and you'll find out it's nice to get some influx from Ze's super commitment to ALL MIGHTY CORINTHIANS and all the great stories he has. Just sign your posts with CESF and you sport the fun to be a supporter of a top brazilian team. Rule, no actually LAW (right, Ze :) ), is to be totally against Palmeiras, the rival team from Sao Paulo. It's fine entertainment also, to have this European cross: Kafka, the french poet from Helsinki and kat, the lawyer lady from Estonia are NESF, Natalya the super-young ( :) ) blond bombshell from London is WESF and Aquila the king of comedy in Xtratime from Rome (yes Aquila, I'm still insistig :) ) is SESF. We still try to convince Amo from Greece to become the don of EESF (Amo, PAOK will be in Austria for two weeks July/August).

And don't be afraid, we do it in a lighthearted way (maybe I'm a bit deep into it by now... :) ) PLUS, there is this regular circulation of, uuhmm, pics from Brazil, for the FIEL members... :) :)

CESF
CESC

B

·
0 Posts
OK Alexx, thanks for the kind invitation to participate in your "fiel". I´m proud that you welcome me, but first I´ll take time and an in-depth look at Corinthians to analyse whether I can support the team - I think I need to know the current players and a bit of history.
But I think being against Palmeiras can be arranged... ;) ,
now I know which green you meant...

Plus, I guess it would be sort of helpful to support Lazio...but I admit, I´m more into Juve. DON´T SHOOT ME!

Greetings from Linz,
(I´ll try:) CESF

[Edited by Bateman on 09-07-2000 at 18:29]

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...nobody is perfect. Still as Laziali (Natalya, Aquila, Kafka, myself) we have a bit of Anti Zebra camp as well... :)

Maybe our very own Ze once again gives all the great info on Corinthians (Ze, you should save it somewhere and re-post on request... :) )...

Otherwise, just check back whenever you feel like it :)
(LASK are holding them to another 1-1 at the moment (65th minute)

CESF
CESC

1 - 20 of 105 Posts