Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
England squad to play Germany: Carson, Hart, James, Bridge, Davies, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Mancienne, Richards, Upson, Barry, Carrick, Downing, Lampard, Gerrard, Wright-Phillips, A Young, Agbonlahor, Bent, Crouch, Defoe, Walcott.

Hmmm, quite interesting squad. No Beckham, thank the lord. Mancienne is the obvious WTF moment, especially since he isn't even a good young CB. A lot better out there, Taylor must be thinking whats the point considering how well he has done with Newcastle and especially for the England youth setup (our best defender). If he wanted an untested player, surely Sturridge is the better option considering he has actually played properly for his club, has an amazing record and can fill in for Rooney's absence. No one else could certainly.

Richards, Carrick, Young, Hart, Agbonlahor and Bent all finally get their deserved inclusions. Shocked that Capello has picked them but then again this is a friendly and he'll probably drop them all for a proper game. Bentley should still be in the squad IMO. I assume Joe Cole isn't fit enough yet.

Crouch, Downing and Upson the main negatives for me. Davies I don't rate either.

All in all, one of the more promising England squads in a while. A good mix of experience and proven young talent.

My team:

----------------------Hart

---Johnson---Richards-----Terry/Davies---Bridge

---------Gerrard-----Carrick----Lampard

------------SWP------Bent----Young

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Terrible defensive options Capello has selected there. What the hell is he thinking picking Mancienne and the continued inclusion of Upson. Hell I would rather have Michael bladdy Dawson in there then those two. Taylor would have been a perfect call up in light if the defensive injuries and he is certainly more capable than Davies at this point. King wouldn't have been a bad pick as well, even though he can only get through about a game a month. I understand that Mancienne is showing promise but there is no way he is ready to play for England. He is raw and has lots of potential but that is the extent of it.

Good to see Bent in there, he deserves it but then arguably so does Owen. I get the feeling like Michael's days are numbered with Capello in charge, he seems to want to give the youth more of a chance.
I think that team will struggle against a big, physical, experienced Germany side especially due to the distinct lack of experience in the England squad. I would have liked to have seen a guy like Phil Neville come in because although he is not great, he has been there and done that and can be a calming influence at the back.
No Bentley in there as well, unlucky in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"would have liked to have seen a guy like Phil Neville"

Where abouts in south africa do you live?

;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I haven't seen much of mancienne but he had a touch like a brick wall, i'm really shocked about that. Though I know he won't play.

Agbonlahor's pace will be very good against a wooden looking defence I think.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
I'm surprised Richards is in the team. His form hasn't improved since the last squad, when he wasn't picked. Then again, I don't know who else is available.
Isn't that something to do with Mark Hughes' persisting on playing him at left back?

I'm surprised he didn't even make the squad in the last couple of England games.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lampard and Gerrard ruled out. :(

Bullard who is an absolute twonk called up for no apparent reason other than taking shit freekicks.

And PARKER finally called up!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! Capello is actually getting better at squad selections, he is somehow waging a war against the curse of England managers. :eek: :happy:

Parker and Carrick in midfield hopefully? No real AM in the squad.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I doubt Carrick will look very good against Germany, or ever look good in an England shirt. Carrick needs good players around him to look good himself, he needs intelligent players making intelligent runs with fast passing football. And a midfield partner who allows him to express his game, which I doubt neither Lampard or Gerrard would ever, particually Gerrard who would probably rule over Carrick with his Hollywood passes.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marc forgot to mention that Sturridge is currently injured. Again.
Point was there were better young players around to call up. :) I just like naming Sturridge every chance I get. Its hard to tell when Sturridge is injured considering how insane Hughes' selections are sometimes.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Gerrard is "injured".

So is Hart, but his is legitimate.

Gerrard is injured not 'injured', theres no doubt about it and there never was, we aren't united, we don't lie about players getting injured and get away with it.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Plainly not true and the facts don't bear it out , gerrard has played for england with an injury before now. Poeple still seem pissed off that Liverpool dared to schedule in an operation for gerrard in englands time rather than Liverpool's time which is preposterous, putting biased club loyalties aside tell me what club would make their own player have an operation to miss their own games if the could help it? none.

Other than that when gerrard is fit he is always willing to turn up for england, more fool him.

On the other hand rooney was fit enough to go to a kanye west concert last night, that chest infection and slight iccie cough must be killing him

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Plainly not true and the facts don't bear it out , gerrard has played for england with an injury before now. Poeple still seem pissed off that Liverpool dared to schedule in an operation for gerrard in englands time rather than Liverpool's time which is preposterous, putting biased club loyalties aside tell me what club would make their own player have an operation to miss their own games if the could help it? none.

Other than that when gerrard is fit he is always willing to turn up for england, more fool him.

On the other hand rooney was fit enough to go to a kanye west concert last night, that chest infection and slight iccie cough must be killing him
You soft bastard. Are you really defending Gerrard and Liverpool over this?

Rio Ferdinand is not injured. Wayne Rooney is not injured. Darren Fletcher is not injured. The only reason Carrick's been let go is because he's coming back from injury and needs the games.

We've pulled these players out because we've got Aston Villa on Saturday followed by Villarreal on Tuesday then the derby the following weekend. Considering all of that, the last thing we need is a knackered squad turning up to play a very good Aston Villa on Saturday.

I don't know what the fuss is about. It's a stupid time to be playing friendlies, but if they have to be played then players like Bent, Carrick, Agbonlahor, Young etc should be getting a chance to show what they can do.

Is anyone really going to care what the result is tomorrow? No. I'm sure all we care about is some new faces coming in to the side, showing what they can do on the international stage and putting up a decent performance.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I care, its bloody Germany. :wth:

You wouldn't have Rooney without his England performances, nor Rio, nor Hargreaves (unlucky) etc.. They defined those players and raised them to the next level, simple as that. And most of them came from other clubs, in ENGLAND.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts