Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us have (or have had) our own heroes in football. There's at least one guy you'll always look out for. You'll download all his goal movies, search the internet as much as you can on him, buy all types of memorabilia on him, be ecstatic when he scores.

For me, that person is the great Youri Djorkaeff. I was drawn to his style of playing - somewhat odd (the flailing of arms and a completely alien way of moving), but at the same time with great class. I'd be happy for days when he scored and excited when I see his name in the starting lineup or even the newspaper. I almost went to heaven when he scored what proved to be winning goals against Czech Rep and Spain in Euro 2000.

Here's the thing - how do they become our heroes? Zidane moves with grace and has heavenly skills, but he doesn't get to me the way Djorkaeff does (at the moment). Most of you were won over by Baggio in the same type of way. I'll always support France and Inter, but if DJ doesn't play in 2002, things won't be the same. Do any of you feel that way about Baggio or any other favourite player? Has anyone felt that way about previous heroes?

One thing's for sure. I have great memories of him playing. Those are invaluable for any soccer fan.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Well now it is Zanetti. No matter what he never ever has two consecutive bad games....NEVER!!!!!!!!

I mean the man epitomizes exactly what i stand for in life and that is why i love this guy.

He plays consistently. He is disciplined and unselfish. He is not a glamour player and doesn't have a whole set of people following him around and i appear like just another Zidane or Figo junkie.

He carries the ball with such grace and it is SOOOOOOo impossible to get it off of him. Posseses a shot out of this world plays for my second favourite nation Argentina and is captain of my favourite team.

Grande Zanetti!!!!!!!! il capitano dell'INTER.

il Tractor even scored agoal against my most hated team that probably put hm up there over Baggio as my all time favourite player. Baggio runs a good second but its Zanetti by a long long way and Pirlo will probably push Baggio down to third on my all time list anyway.

FORZA TRACTOR!!!!!!! il grande Javier Zanetti.

I remember one day i was talking to some English scum and he was talking about Giggs running all over INTER.....i said no Beckham will be the danger man because Giggs will not kick aball in the match. He said ha!!!!! Who will stop Giggs. I said Zanetti......he laughed.....Giggs didn't.....HILARIOUS!!!!!! Sadly we lost but you know....

Zanetti has given me so many memorable moments, PI$$INGS on many such as Giggs Anderton Guly Pesotto Gattusso.....he has even done well against the great Maldini.

The great Javier Zanetti is simply the greatest. South American flair mixed with European discipline....will be remembered as even greater than Redondo i assure you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi guys!

Interesting reading!

Let me ask you two a question each.

Firdaus: What was your reaction when Djorkaeff scored his magic goal against Roma at San Siro two seasons ago?
That was pure magic and the crowd gave him standing ovations for five mins and I felt like i just entered a new dimension.

ilTazz: Do you remember the UEFA cup final 1998 against Lazio.
There are 4 moments I always will remember from that game.
1 The jerseys!!! The beautiful UEFA jersey that UMBO gave us that year. Pure class!!!
2 Bam bam gave us a hard fighting goal in the first half.
A typically bambam goal.
3 Ronaldo didnt play at his best but he sent Marchegiani to the 6th stand when he danced past him. I mean danced!!!
What a guy! I miss him.
4 Last but not least. The SCUD from Javier ZANETTIs foot.
I went round my appartment like a crazy dog after that one.
I use to pick up that tape and watch that goal over and over. JAVIER ZANETTI the soul of Inter.

´My heroes are:
Lo ZIo! 20!!! years with INTER. No more comments.
Recoba. But he has lost some points on my list because of his cries.
Toto Scilacci. I really liked him when he played for us in the black n blue jersey.

Nice posts guys.

Joakim

·
Registered
45,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joakim: that Djorkaeff goal was like a dream. I could not believe my eyes. It was the most beautiful goal I have ever seen in my whole life. I've seen highlights with some amazing goals by other players, but as you put it, that goal was 'pure magic'.

Here's the question (once again) - there must be something more than skill that makes you fall in love with a player.

As Tazz said, Zanetti represents what he stands for in life.

I believe that Djorkaeff does the same for me. He is French and represented the new generation who pushed away all racial barriers. He's a real fighter, with great confidence.

Here's where I turn everything onto DJ:

Does anyone else think that he should be considered amongst the heroes of French football? Soccer fans can be so fickle. Djorkaeff was the French star until the 1998 World Cup. He was their most prolific scorer and had accomplished great things.

He was forgotten after the World Cup because of Zidane's rise to the entire occasion. Now Zidane's Euro 2000 performance (which I thought was better than his World Cup performance) has been played down because of his indifferent game in the final. Trezeguet is the new face (he's a great player though).

Cantona is still a French icon, despite DJ scoring more and achieving more than him. If Platini, Tigana, Giresse, Fontaine, are considered French legends, Zidane and Djorkaeff should at least be placed alongside them.

Djorkaeff gets no recognition. That's the chip on my shoulder.

I

·
0 Posts
Firdaus, my favorite player is also Djorkaeff. I can sympathize why you like him so much. I totally agree about Djorkaeff getting no recognition. Only a true fan can appreciate a player like Djorkaeff. Djorkaeff gives every thing to his team. He puts every thing he has on the field. He plays with so much heart and determination. He's probably not the most flashy player but he's the most committed. He plays all out until the last second. He's the reason I began to support Inter. So I would have to say his hard work ethic attracted me to him. He SHOULD be up there with the Zidanes, Platinis, and Fontaines.

The thing that pisses me off is when people question the coaches decision to put Djorkaeff in the line-up. They say, "Oh you have Anelka, Henry, Trezeguet, and Wiltord, why Djorkaeff instead of them," stuff like that. Then when he scores the game winner everyone says Djorkaeff is awesome. Why dont they say that before the game when they questioned the coach's decision.

So that is why I like Djorkaeff.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
ye si remember that goal but to be honest from the time R9 hit the post in that match with the outside of the boot shot that match was over.....

the biggest ever goal that Zanetti scored would hav eto be the one against ENgland....it was awsome absolutely awsome....Veron passed it in and Zanetti made Seaman look retarded...HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORZA ZANETTI il migglore giocatore mundiale

how's my Italian guys?

FORZA INTER!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts