Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who will it be? Its the question on the lips of every Newcastle fan at this moment in time. The main candidates being mentioned at the moment are:

Martain O'Neill: He's currently odds on for the job while a lot of bookies have suspended betting, this to me suggests something is happening. It would also tie in with a lot of rumours circulating at the moment about him being unveiled as the new manager very soon. However, having said all that stories continue to emerge through the media about him rejecting us in the hope of getting the England job.

Ottmar Hitzfeld: Would no doubt be my first choice (with O'Neill as a close second) and the choice of many other fans as shown by the Hitzfeld campaign. Freddy has denied comments rejecting the link which made me think there may be something going on, or at the least he's considering him as an option. With vast experience in European football will Freddy opt for the German?

Sam Allardyce: Rejected up before we appointed Souness and would no doubt do the same again if the England job was offered to him. However with others in the running for the England job, will Freddy bide his time to get this man? He has voiced his frustration at the lack of funds available at Bolton and there's no doubt he'd get financial backing here.

Paul Jewell: Suprise link mentioned this morning. He's doing a fine job at Wigan at the moment and remains as one of the favourites for the job. Its rumoured he's got a get out clause in his contract, this could be a major attraction for Freddy Shepherd.

Claudio Ranieri: He's publically declared his interest in the job. If offered it no doubt he would take it, he's currently a free agent and with Freddy having to pay Souness £3m after his sacking he could be a possibility. He's got experience in the premiership and the champoins league with Chelsea and guided them the semi finals. However he had a poor stint at Valencia and this could hinder his chances.

Who would you like to see as the new manager of Newcastle United?

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Steve Bruce was mentioned in todays Journal :googly: God I hope Freddy Shepherd is not that stupid!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Marcello Lippi, or if Juve kick out Fabio Capello we should get him :D. BTW anyone knew who was the manager of Bayer Leverkusen when they went to the Champions Leauge Final. I think he would be a good manager.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grobari said:
Marcello Lippi, or if Juve kick out Fabio Capello we should get him :D. BTW anyone knew who was the manager of Bayer Leverkusen when they went to the Champions Leauge Final. I think he would be a good manager.
Wasn't he also the manager that nearly got them relegated the season after?:googly: I definately wouldn't want that appointment. I would be delighted however if we appointed another German in the form of Ottmar Hitzfeld :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Grobari said:
Klauss Topmoller I think you are thinking about.

My first choice would have to be Hitzfeld, O'Neill & Allardyce are just the same and that would be another Souness esq type of appointment.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
My choice:

1. Hitzfeld
2. Roeder
3. O'Neill
4. Grandma
5. Alan Ball
6. Monkey's Heed
7. Sam Allardyce

Honestly, Sam Allardyce has done f#ck all in his managerial career except manage a team of overpaid mercenaries to upper midtable by playing a dirty style based on earning setpieces.

How he is linked with both us and England is beyond me.

Where are Sam's trophies? Where are his cup final appearances? Oh but he managed Bolton into the UEFA Cup once.

Do me a favour.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know what you mean, there's a lot of hype surrounding him. I really dislike watching Bolton because they play some really ugly football at times. I do however respect Big Sam for what he's done with Bolton. He's made them into an established premiership side challenging for the European places with a shoe string budget. His team may not be pretty, but he knows how to get results and it is ultimately a results business. How he'd cope with a bigger budget (Newcastle) or better players (England) remains to be seen. I think we'd be taking a gamble if we appointed Allardyce, I'd much prefer a manager who's won trophies and managed some of the best teams in the world. Thats why for me the only man we should be looking at is Ottmar Hitzfeld.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I like the idea of Mancini, although I don't remember him being succesfull either!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Emre hopes Mancini not on Newcastle shortlist
tribalfootball.com - March 12, 2006

Emre hopes the bookies are wide of the mark placing Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini among the favorites for the Newcastle job.
Mancini is a front-runner with bookmakers but Emre had a strained relationship with the one-time Leicester City player.

"I did not play in the last three months under him at Inter," he said. "He is a good person but maybe he did not like me for those last three months at Inter.

"But Glenn Roeder does like me and that is what is important now."

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Everton warn Newcastle off Moyes

By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer

Everton have warned Newcastle off making an approach for manager David Moyes to take over at St James' Park.

Moyes is at the centre of widespread speculation that he will be approached to permanently succeed Graeme Souness.

But an Everton spokesman told BBC Sport: "We have had no approach from Newcastle for David Moyes nor would we welcome or encourage any."

Souness was sacked by the Magpies in February, with Glenn Roeder taking charge of first-team affairs until the end of the season.

Martin O'Neill is understood to be chairman Freddy Shepherd's first choice for the job, but Moyes has emerged as a surprise potential candidate.

Moyes, however, signed a five-year contract last season.

He only recently paid tribute to Everton chairman Bill Kenwright for his loyalty when the club went out of the Champions League at the qualifying stage and the Uefa first round.

Kenwright insisted there was never any doubt about Moyes' future, despite more struggles over Christmas.

He told the BBC: "This is the guy who is helping us get back where we belong. Life is about highs and lows and there are going to be lows.

"There was never any question about whether he was the guy to get us back and going again. It was when rather than if."

www.bbc.com

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Inter Milan's Mancini interested in Newcastle job
tribalfootball.com - March 31, 2006

Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini has expressed interest in the Newcastle United job.
The Evening Chronicle says the former Leicester Coty striker has indicated that he would love a crack of the job at St James' Park and his representatives have been in touch with United.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Tottenham boss Jol in Newcastle frame
tribalfootball.com - April 12, 2006

Tottenham coach Martin Jol is being linked with the Newcastle United post.

The Journal says reports in Holland last night claimed that Spurs are bracing themselves for an official approach from United chairman Freddie Shepherd, who is understood to have earmarked the Dutchman as an attractive alternative to Martin O'Neill.

Although Jol is reported to be far from content with certain aspects of his relationship with the White Hart Lane board, Tottenham officials are confident that he will still be in charge at the start of next season, and any approaches look certain to be turned down.

Jol's countryman Guus Hiddink - linked with the Newcastle and England posts - has announced he will take over as Russia coach after the World Cup.

==========================

Inter Milan coach Mancini closer to Newcastle move
tribalfootball.com - April 10, 2006

A move to Newcastle United for Roberto Mancini is getting closer after the Inter Milan coach declared this would be his last season in Italy.
Mancini has been rocked after he and his players were set upon by Inter fans in the early hours Monday of morning. "This speeded up my plans to go abroad," he said.

The former Leicester City striker's representatives have made Toon aware of his interest in the job.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
:howler:

Whats Freddy playing at?

NEWCASTLE United are ready to stun football by appointing Glenn Roeder as boss in a new-look set-up at St James' Park.

Toon have been linked with some of the top young managers in the country since sacking Graeme Souness in February, but caretaker chief Roeder will be offered the job if he can take the club into the UEFA Cup.

He has insisted he does not want the job permanently, but now the former youth academy boss is close to being officially promoted after impressing chairman Freddy Shepherd with his cool head since taking charge.

The Geordie plan is for Roeder to be installed alongside a senior partner in a 'director of football' role - with Lyon chief Gerard Houllier top of the wanted list. Roeder is emerging as the leading candidate because of his good run of results - and snags with potential long-term replacements like Martin O'Neill.

The one-time West Ham manager will be offered the job if Newcastle finish the season in a European place. He could even get the nod if they finish the season in style but just miss out.

They face Sunderland today with stand-in bosses Roeder and Kevin Ball going head-to-head in a game where the winner will have a much improved chance of becoming their clubs' full-time managers.

Newcastle are six points off Blackburn in sixth place and a storming finish could transform their season.

Former Liverpool boss Houllier may be tempted to come back to England and his experience would help Roeder, whose only short-coming is his lack of expertise and experience in the transfer market.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_objectid=16955641&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=exclusive--toon-roeder-name_page.html

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Inter ponder Mancio alternative Monday 17 April, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter will target either Cesare Prandelli or Fabio Capello if boss Roberto Mancini is not confirmed in the Nerazzurri hot-seat next term.

Mancio’s future is in doubt as both the club and the tactician ponder their next move following another disappointing campaign.

Although they have reached the Coppa Italia Final for the second successive season, they look destined to finish third in Serie A and exited the Champions League at the last eight stage to minnows Villarreal.

Those results have angered fans and owner Massimo Moratti to such a degree that Mancini has said he wants to move abroad once he leaves Inter, while Moratti is thinking of selling up.

However, the latter now looks likely to keep the faith with the club even if Mancini may walk with Newcastle United reportedly interested in his services.

So who will Inter make a move for if the Sampdoria legend does decide to terminate his San Siro stint at the end of this term?

Capello is liked given his winning record at clubs such as Milan, Real Madrid, Roma and now Juventus.

Although the tactician has stated that he was set to stay with the Old Lady, a split may be on the cards after the Bianconeri’s disappointing Champions League defeat to Arsenal.

Prandelli is also an option for the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza outfit after his success in Tuscany this term.

The former Parma tactician joined Fiorentina in the summer and has turned last season’s relegation strugglers into a Champions League challenger.

Ironically, Prandelli would also become a Juventus target if Capello did land the Inter job for the 2006-07 campaign.

channel4

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All these rumours are driving me crazy, I wish we could just resolve the issue so we can get on with rebuilding the team. There seems to be a new rumour popping up every week, it really is getting boring now. Still with Roeder having to relinquish control after the WBA match surely some sort of announcement will be made soon?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Newcastle table offer to Inter Milan coach Mancini
tribalfootball.com - April 18, 2006

Newcastle United have reportedly tabled a three-year contract offer to Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini.

It's emerged today that Mancini has in front of him a £2.75 million-a-year deal from Newcastle to takeover the management reigns next season.

Mancini has already declared this month that he intends to move abroad once he leaves Inter and it's understood he is keen to work in England.

Frustrated by the lack of freedom he has on transfers at Inter, working as a club manager in England appeals to Mancini, where he knows he would not only be responsible for coaching, but also for transfers coming in and out of the club.

The former Leicester City striker has a year left on his Inter deal, but is under increasing pressure after elimination from the Champions League and last week's derby defeat to AC Milan.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Incidently Roeder has been granted permission to remain in charge until the end of the season:

Roeder allowed to stay in charge

The Premier League has given Glenn Roeder permission to carry on as caretaker manager of Newcastle until the end of the season.

Roeder was made temporary boss at the club in February after the sacking of Graeme Souness.

But the former Newcastle player was initially told that his lack of coaching qualifications meant he could only be in charge for 12 weeks.

The Magpies have won nine out of 14 since Roeder took the helm.

The statement from the Premier League read: "The board of the Premier League today announced that they have accepted Newcastle United's request to extend Glenn Roeder's position as caretaker manager of the club to the end of the season.

"The board felt that the circumstances involving the appointment of a new England head coach meant that the sensible course of action was to allow the club to extend Glenn Roeder's term in charge for an additional two matches without sanction."

Roeder made 219 appearances in Newcastle's defence after signing for £120,000 from QPR in December 1983.

He became a crowd favourite at St James' Park and was appointed Academy manager at the club in June 2005.

To me this indicates that we are looking at the same candidates the FA are looking at to replace SGE. Whatever the scenario it looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer before finding out the long term successor to Souness.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts