Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I cannot set a poll here,I will just paste the candidates from Il Romanista web site.We have been linked with many managers.Who do you think can bring us back some success or is best suited for our club.Its well known that Il Capitano would like to see Zeman return.Or would you prefer Ancelotti,an ex-Romanista player who won the scudetto with AS ROMA in 1983.Whose style of calcio do you like watching?Our manager will undoubtedly want to bring new players in,so who do you feel can turn us around next season.Click on below to see the list.(If you like Primo,please feel free to edit this and set it up as a poll.You may wish to add Prandelli to the list.Although,I hear he refused the job already.Thanks).

http://www.ilromanista.it/sondaggio/pole.php

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Hi. We need someone who provides compactness on defense and width on offense. I know, that sounds like a duality.
My number one choice, for the reason above and because he can create us a regista, would be Ancelotti. Spalletti would be my second selection, as his 3-4-3 would kind of suit us and it's my preferred set up.
But I realistically don't envision either of those coming. Therefore, we move down to the next tier of candidates. Ranieri would be boring and unsuitable. Zemen and Mazzone know what it's about, and I wouldn't mind either of them. Mazzone has squeezed lemon juice from dry lemons with Bologna this season, while Zemen, credit to him, but his tender squad tends to fall apart. Mazzone would be a solid, if not spectacular, pick. I would trust him w/ Roma, but he really is at the end of a wonderful career. Zemen could be the one. :nervous:

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
i have no idea, i would want Prandelli back i guess...he was the one who was hired originally, maybe he will return with Roma. Maybe we can get Trapattoni lol

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
why Prandelli's name is not mentioned anymore??

i read an interview with Rosella she denied Spalletti rumors, and mentioned something about a project which she prefers to keep it quite..

i pray she means Prandelli !!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
1. Ancelotti - without doubt the best option. So classy, so intelligent, so full of knowledge. Creates a team from stars.

2. Spalletti - a good runner up. Intelligent tactics; offensive, width and a solid unit. Not too offensive.

3. Cosmi - He is crazy.. and Romanista by heart. :D That's my main reasons. As manager, he probably is somewhat young for us.

4. Zeman - not contracted, outspoken and a favorite among players and fans. However, his style doesn't appeal that much to me.

5. Mazzone - great with young players, but is getting too old himself.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thotobald said:
1. Ancelotti - without doubt the best option. So classy, so intelligent, so full of knowledge. Creates a team from stars.

2. Spalletti - a good runner up. Intelligent tactics; offensive, width and a solid unit. Not too offensive.

3. Cosmi - He is crazy.. and Romanista by heart. :D That's my main reasons. As manager, he probably is somewhat young for us.

4. Zeman - not contracted, outspoken and a favorite among players and fans. However, his style doesn't appeal that much to me.

5. Mazzone - great with young players, but is getting too old himself.
Very good resume of the candidates.I would like to say that the syle of Ancelotti's play both with Milan and Juve was very boring.Very solid at the back and midfield and play on the break.As for Spalletti.He may be another Del Neri.A very good provincial manager whose style and technical composition is too regimental for a club like ROMA who can rely on the flair and ability of a few individuals.We forget that managers like Spalletti can make average players play out of their skin just like Del Neri.As they all run and work for each other.Unfortunately,this approach does not work at the BIG clubs.You need a better approach to man management with the Shevas,Totti,Del Pieros,Cassanos etc.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Zeman would be my go to guy. People tend to make too much of Lecce's poor defence this season, and point to that as a reason why he wouldn't work here. Their defence has been pretty abysmal, but with respect to Diamoutene and Rullo, they're two of the worst defenders i've ever seen, genuinely, there's very little you can do with them. lazio had one of the tightest backlines in Europe a couple of seasons ago with Zdenek in charge, our defence was pretty sound with him in charge too(and on paper, our defence then wouldn't even come close to Mexes, Cufre and Chivu), as well as being the leagues top scoring, and most entertaining team. If he made us that good, and that exciting then, with Sergio, Balbo and an inexperienced Totti, can you imagine what he'd do with Montella, Cassano and a Totti in his prime? :dazed: :drool:

Equally as important, i would love to see us distance ourselves from Juve and the north. The one single, most effective move we could make to do that? Hire Zeman.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
That's a good point about Spalletti. I think we've seen it plenty of times before with other managers possessing similar qualities, it tends to become a lot harder when you suddenly coach a big fish. So we need to take that into account when he hire a new manager.

As for Ancelotti, partly also Mazzone and Zeman, they know what it takes to manage a top club. Tactically, I have a lot to say about Zeman. He would be a salvation for our tridente, especially Totti. Totti would be given space, that surely turns France' on. But I doubt we'd be fighting with Milan and Juve with Zeman, mostly because of a defensive aspect far from classy. Having said that, I think there's too much talk about how his football is headless, because it clearly isn't. He just focuses more on the original concept of football, to score more than the opponent. And people often think he's a crappy organizer, but I disagree. Whether he is suited for Roma again, I don't think so. We need someone like Ancelotti, but he's like..way out of our league. So there's the rest: Spalletti, Cosmi, Zeman, Mazzone, Ranieri etc.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
I would love to see Zeman in charge. I want exciting football, and frankly, realistically we won't win the Scudetto in the next few years, so at least we could enjoy attacking style football and many goals from our team. And he hates Juve with passion, which is a huge plus in my book. :)

Spalletti is my second choise.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Demandred said:
I would love to see Zeman in charge. I want exciting football, and frankly, realistically we won't win the Scudetto in the next few years, so at least we could enjoy attacking style football and many goals from our team. And he hates Juve with passion, which is a huge plus in my book. :)

Spalletti is my second choise.
I agree totally with you on Zeman.Truly,he plays the most exciting football.He wins 5-3 or his team loses 4-3.There is always a spectacle,and when you have our attacking flair even better.My downside about Zeman is that there was a reason he left the first time he was with us,and with the Sensis still in charge,it may be opening up old wounds.Sometimes,its better to move on and not go back into the past.Having said that,Zeman has always done well with both Lazio and ROMA,and with a bit more patience may have delivered a Scudetto our way.He deserves to manage a TOP club.
P.S.There seems to be a lot of favouriticism towards Ancellotti.I just do not think we have the players in defence or the proper defensive midfielders to play his style.He has a very solid back four at Milan with Gattuso and Seedorf in front of them.He likes soaking up the pressure and hitting on the break.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, but why exactly would Ancelotti consider leaving Milan for Roma?

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AMOROSO! said:
I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, but why exactly would Ancelotti consider leaving Milan for Roma?
Firstly,well publicised fact that he has had run-ins with Berlusconi who would like see a more cavalier style of play and criticed his manager when he played just one attacker up front.
Secondly,as long as Ancelotti wins a major prize,he may be under no pressure to leave.Finishing second in the league or going out of the CL,will be seen as failure to the Milan president.He invests heavily in the squad but expects to win also.
Thirdly,everything comes to an end and it may be our new beginning as Carlo Ancelotti is a clsose friend of Conti as he played and won a Scudetto with him in the early 80s. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just noticed this article.While it places Zeman in pole position,it states that Il Capitano has made it a pre-condition of signing a new contract that ROMA tie up Zeman as manager.It may just be paper talk or Il Capitano is fed up with all the Del Neris and Vollers of the world and knows how Zeman works as a coach.
Also to note,it says that Bruno Conti will be named as our Director of Football in June.He will be responsible in advising the club on the appointment of a new coach and the buying of players.Very good news indeed. :star: :star: :star:

Here's the link,ROMA

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Seems as though il Capitano is trying to have a finger in each pie . According to calciomercato.com yesterday, he also supports the idea of appointing Cosmi as manager, but Cosmi says he is only willing to concentrate on Genoa. :stuckup: :)

I doubt we can get Ancelotti for next year but it would be awesome with Carletto/Conti running the show. all we would need then is Baldini back and some $$$$ and the norrthern clubs would be running for cover. :fero: :D

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
Realistically, he won't do that. I am confident he'll come back and claim his throne sometime in the future, but even his love for Roma can't cloud his judgement; he has the best position in Italian football right now - best team, security, great organization etc etc.

As said, one day he'll come, but for now it's only journalism.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
ZEMAN: "A FINE PARTITA PARLO DEL FUTURO..."

(Ansa) Zeman- Roma, stasera l'annuncio?
E' molto che se ne parla, finalmente sembra proprio che il ritorno del tecnico boemo sulla panchina giallorossa sia questione di poche settimane.
A confermarlo, seppur con poche parole velate, è lo stesso Zeman che, a sorpresa, annuncia che stasera parlerà del suo futiro. Negli ambienti vicini alla famiglia Sensi si vocifera che sarà proprio lui il tecnico che dovrà guidare la rinascita della squadra di Totti, Chivu e Montella.
Il ds del Lecce, Pntaleo Corvino, non smentisce nè conferma: " Abbiamo una partita importante stasera. Zeman alla Roma? Non posso parlare, credo che se il mister ha detto che parla stasera, evidentemente, qualcosa da dire ce l'ha..."

:sweeteye:

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are the results so far in a poll run by AS ROMA newspaper,Il Romanista
Its close between Zeman and Ancelotti. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 194 Posts