Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of this "our league is garbage" stuff on our forum over the years, I realy don't know what you people expect from a country of 4.4 million people.

The old Yugo league was great, amongst the top in Europe, but that was a nation of 22 million people, and national pride as well as city pride on the line week in week out. None of the former republics can repeat that sort of commitment from fans and clubs alike. So let's just forget that league.

The main factor in that league's success and why people are so nostalgic for it, was the rule for players going abroad, you had to be 28.

Imagine our league if all 28 year olds and under weren't alowwed to leave. Dinamo would have Olic, Butina, Balaban, Sokota, Leko, Mikic...Hajduk Tudor, I. Leko, Pletikosa, Sablic, Srna, Carevic, Seric etc. Osijek Babic, Vranjes etc. Varteks Budan, Bjelanovic, Vugrinec etc. etc. etc. Zadar would have Prso, Rosso untill 2002... Quality players all..

Our league is about as strong as our assoc. and population allow. In BiH nobody bitches about how weak the league is compared to Spain, Italy or Holland...we know the quality is not top notch, but you go for your team anyhow. And the roatian league is better...

so don't expect miracle Champions league runs or Uefa semis from Croatia, just expect that we can develop youth and have a fairly strong NT for such a small nation...

Ero's quick thoughts...

·
©
7,230 Posts
Sorry to say but a league where you have to read about matches being fixed, where anybody that kicks a ball straight leaves the country and where average attendance is 1,000 people, is a garbage league in my opinion.

I don't look at it in terms of population. I look at it in terms of talent. Croatia has amongst the most players playing abroad in the whole of Europe. That means there are heaps of good players out there that could be playing in Croatia if the conditions were right. It also means alot of players have been sold and let go by croatian clubs. What have they got to show for it? Where has the money gone? Then there are players like Strupar and Rapaic who do come back to help only to leave again disgusted at the state of the league.

The Czech Republic is a small country yet their clubs do very well in Europe and Sparta is in the CL almost every year..

There is no reason our clubs can't do that and it has nothing to do with the old league or age restrictions. I mean players are leaving at ages 17 and 18 now! And worst of all it is for free!

It is unrealistic to say we will keep all of the talent in Croatia because that won't happen, nor should it, but there is no reason why we can't have a league where only the best leave and not whole teams every year.. It is also unrealistic to say the stadiums will be full every week but there is no reason why a figure of 5,000 people to most games cannot be reached.

As for BiH, the lack of quality there is made up by the many rivalries which Croatia hasn't got.

·
Registered
36,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is an issue of administration, players leaving young etc. I agree that clubs and the HNS should take a long hard look at the situation, look at the problems and evaluate possible solutions and tactics that could be implemented in order to better the situation.

But my point is about fans expectations, which are the same in Croatia as they are here...they expect huge acheivments, yet hardly any go to games etc. They bitch and moan without really looking at the entire picture. Our league this year is probably the most compeitive since independence, but it still doesn't force people into the stands...

·
©
7,230 Posts
Ero said:
But my point is about fans expectations, which are the same in Croatia as they are here...they expect huge acheivments, yet hardly any go to games etc. They bitch and moan without really looking at the entire picture. Our league this year is probably the most compeitive since independence, but it still doesn't force people into the stands...
Ok, I get ya now. I totally agree aswell. My cousins are dinamo fans and when I ask them why they don't go to games they say they don't know. Almost as if it isn't a fashionable thing to do. But then they yell infront of the TV when the game is on..

I suppose we are starved. For us it doesn't matter what the quality is or how many people go because it is still Dinamo or Zrinjski or Hajduk and we don't get to see them much..

·
Registered
36,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'd never use the term garbage but I think the quality is poor. It was much better in the mid 90's then it is now. I thought it got ruined in the late 90's when the HNL bumped the league up to 16/18(?) teams for a couple of seasons. That's when the quality seemed to go down hill. Hajduk and Dinamo will always be strong as long they keep signing the best players from other clubs...the rest of the teams may have a good season or two.... As for achievements in Europe, I don't expect a Croatian team to be playing in Champions league every season but I sure as hell expect them to get past an amateur team from Ireland!

this is an issue of administration, players leaving young etc. I agree that clubs and the HNS should take a long hard look at the situation, look at the problems and evaluate possible solutions and tactics that could be implemented in order to better the situation.
It's been said and done on every internet board I've been on since I've been on line. We can come up with answers and solutions, I believe the most popular one is to get rid of the current administration. It gets talked about in the media and by our former star players like Zvonimir Boban who heavily criticized state of the league. To date nothing seems to be done other then drop the league back down to 12 teams.

U

·
0 Posts
Ero said:
The old Yugo league was great, amongst the top in Europe
Yes Ero, but that is also tru! the Yug league from the year 1985/1991 had the ranking number 5 in europ and sometimes number 4 and was one of the best league i the world and Zvezda show that 1992 in the Tokyo Final..

But lets remember like you say that It was 22 million people in yug and also the best players playd in the YUG league and not abroad.

But i'm very proud over my team Vardar who won the YUGO league 1987 and was one time runners up between this years when the yugo league was one of the best in europ from 85 to 91....

·
Registered
36,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even Mostar, we've left a cafe full of friends to go watch Zrinjski, they decide not to go...if all the guys interested in football go to every game, we don't have enough stadiums...but like this..

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Its our mentality. Clubs have to spark us somehow!
I mean, i remember when Split Co., our basketball club had full Gripe every time. Why? Because we had Repesa, we had Radja, and we were something. And its not even football. Its just the way it is.

·
Registered
36,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah you know what I mean...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts