Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article is a bit of a surprise, and just when rome seems like he could possibly be walking to the good side he says something stupid again take a look. I think Fred needs to add this ass to his list with tommy smyth

Rome Is Spooked, Admits U.S. Has 'Good' Team
by Jimmy LaRoue
Somebody handed Jim Rome an article about the U.S. men's soccer team, and it scared him in the same way that we might be if we received a notice from a bill collection agency.

It downright frightened him.

What is it that frightens him? Let me put it in his own words:

"We're good. We beat Mexico."

He spent the better part of five minutes yesterday on his radio show lamenting this. It's Halloween for Rome right now. He doesn't need a haunted house to scare him; he just needs to hear that the U.S. team is winning.

On defeating Mexico, he said: "That's humiliating. We beat you in soccer. That's embarrassing Mexico. You should be ashamed of yourself."

Of course, he started his tirade by saying that "the fact that we're no longer the worst team in the world bothers me." Pretty soon, he said, we'll be beating the likes of Germany, England and Italy. Mexico is supposed to be good, he said. Soccer is their sport.

I probably shouldn't break it to Rome, but the U.S. did not beat Germany and Italy--not this time anyway--so he shouldn't quite hit the panic button. But those are the only two teams to beat the U.S. in 2002. But Jim, the U.S. had beaten Germany twice in a row until the recent match in Rostock.

"It scares the hell out of me. We might advance. We might advance out of the group," he fears. We need to regain our soccer inferiority complex in a hurry, he said. "We need to lose spectacularly."

This fact scares me: Rome actually knew all four teams in Group D.

What happens if the U.S. becomes good at soccer, he asks? Kids that stopped playing at the age of eight, might play until the ages of 10 or 12, he said.

"I'm afraid that it's already too late" to turn back the tide of more kids playing soccer in the U.S.

"Anything other than a last place finish in the World Cup is unacceptable."

Rome must be looking for Steve Sampson right now. He would have found him in his own backyard if Sampson had been hired to coach at UCLA, but alas, it was not to be. But the national team will be invading SoCal (as he likes to refer to it) soon enough when the team's training facility is constructed. It's coming at you head-on. You can't avoid it much longer.

This is what happens when you ignore facts staring at you in the face, Romie. You find out--in retrospect--that it's easier to admit defeat early on and pay the bill. You tried to pretend you never got the notices by exclaiming about riots, low scores and the beautiful game. But it can't mask the truth that you now admit: "We're good."

The bill collection agency has sent its notice to you, Romie. Sam's Army is pounding on your door, and we're all here to collect.

See, you've forgotten to pay your due respect to soccer, and now it's time to pay up. Admitting the U.S. team is good is a solid first step.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
hehehehehehe interesting article ... ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Last year I reffed in the USA Cup. The largest youth soccer tourney in the country. 800 teams, 450 refs, 12,000 players. The program guide, which listed all the teams, the schedules, and last years champions, also had advertisements. Sure enough, Jim Rome's tv show had a quarter page ad.

Thanks Jim. For supporting youth soccer in America.:howler: :howler: :howler: :ass: :ass: :ass: :embarass: :heart: :scream: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :ass: :ass: :ass:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Who the heck is Jime Rome?

Hey guys. Sorry to show my ignorance (once again), but who is this Rome character? I've never heard of him here in the mid-wastelands. Know this though, if Doc and Lil' don't like him, neither do I!

Oldplayer

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Old..Jim Rome is a sports guy based out of LA...if you have Fox Sports Net he has a show called "the last Word."

His claim to fame is he hosted a show on ESPN and had a fight with Jim Evrett the ex-NFL QB, when he insisted on calling him "Chris" the whole show. The "Chris" knock was that he was calling him the name of the famous womens tennis player Chris Evert. basically Rome was calling Evrett soft and a woman on National TV.

He is an idiot. He knocks soccer all the time...knocks the WInter Olympics, and also knocks everything American is not good at in the summer olympics. Anything outside of baseball, basketball, and helmet ball is a non-sport in his eyes.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Ya this guy is as bad as they come. They have him on twice a day up here. I can't watch his stuff.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Sometimes I wish Jim Everett had beaten the shyte out of "Romie".

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Rome thinks he the authority on everything and that people must listen to him, all because he likes to open his mouth and run it off whenever possible.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I really believe this.. someday soccer will reach critical mass.. and these guys wont be able to poke fun at it. It'll be fun to see. I'm interested to see what happens during the worldcup... imagine if we advance! whooohooo!

Given the recent (and unfortunate for the game of soccer) major injuries to the portugal national team.. advancement is looking all the more likely. *knock* on wood.

- I'M OUT

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I stopped taking this guy seriously when Jim Everett made him cower like the girl that he is.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts