Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys and girls its over. We waited 16 years to bring a decent team to the cup, and with all that happened, of course if we won this game, we would have been good favorites to win the cup. But could of should of. We lost the game. Now who is to blame? The coach, the players namely joao pinto, and beto? who is to blame? My candidate is joao pinto. He made a blantent foul to injur, no way did he go for the ball. Can you honestly blame beto for the foul. The commetators were amking it seem that korea was goin for the tie, they were in it to win, if beto let him go it could have been a goal. He shouldnt have MUCH blame. AO, how could he not put in a player like rui costa in this game. Joao pinto was bitching about how he should be starting this game, everyone knows rui costa wouldnt make that mistake. It was just a horrible performance for us this WC. You knew when jpinto got that red card, u had a feeling we werent goin to make it, even though the US was down, there was something inside me that was like it wasnt goin to happen. ANd in all honesty the US did not deserve to be eliminated. The only way in my eyes that said if we deserved to be their was if we won todays game, cause the US deserved to be in. The fact is we can all honesty say, our portuguese team that we came to love, didnt show up, or just doesnt have it in them no more.

There was some good points in this game, that i am happy about. 1. even though baia let up that horrible goal, he saved i think at least 3 break away shots, i was happy with his performance. I think our defence did better then what people expected they would do against this ****in fast korean team. They only started to light it up in the second half. They didnt give a lot of spark, in this game, i think our team did a good job stoping that. ANd i am also happy with the way we played down 2 men. We still had a good 4 shots on goal, that we should have converted, esp. the nuno gomes. I am real happy with the way figo, sergio conceicao, paulo bento, pauleta, and jorge andrade played. andrade added a spark to our offense, he is fast and could move with the ball. Why didnt he start? Paulo bento worked hard all game. Figo and especially sergio conceiacao did their best to create chances with this korean team esp. sergio, it just didnt happen. It wasnt meant to be for us.

I am down but i am not out. No matter what happens i am proud of this team, and i am proud, dead proud of being portuguese.

VIVA PORTUGAL:fero:

but i am hurting right now:( :depress: :sob: :frownani: :cry: :broken:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Conceição had this wonderful chance, I started crying when I saw how unlucky he was and also Gomes and Pauleta...

There were this stange decisions but yeah I'm proud of the team I love to support! Even if I'm not Portuguese I don't care how my country does from now on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man i'm tired of excuses.. They lost and thats all to it.. Take it like a man, and dont play the blame game... You win some and lose some... Instead of being sore losers, be gracious and congrat the Korean team.They won, and we have to tip our hat to them...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
who are u talkin about kid? If u read my post u c i never said nothing about how we were the better team today

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Gentlemen, please. Let's not start going off on each other. Here, I am sipping on some Macieira still and have enough for all of us. We all need a stiff one after today's performance...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
act to my level? ur the one prouncing around in this forum critsizing everyones opinio here. If anything ur a little immature prick. I dont care how old u are, or that respect to elders ****. dont come in here acting like a jack:ass: , or else ull get told where to go:finger:

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Portugal4ever- First, welcome to the forum. I wouldn't go out of my way to Ogolo's post. They Portuguese were knocked out today, and there was a reason for it. Decisions made by a few players (I'M LOOKING AT YOU JOAO PINTO) played a part in today's loss. This is a forum where we can talk about the game and why the result came about. Personally, I'm not mad at the Portuguese team, just very letdown (For a team that would make you mad, look up the story of the '86 WC team :mad:)

Korea came as advertised: Quick and feisty, but lacking the technical abiltiy that you see out of the world's elite. That said, you get behind two guys on them and they will make you pay. Kudos to the Koreans, they could have simply played out the game and qualified. They instead took advantage of Portugal's self imposed disadvantage and rewarded themselves with a win.

Portugal will have a new treinador at Euro 2004 and a few new members of the starting squad. I hope they can carry on the gains this generation has made. Let there be now doubt, this squad of players has raised the bar for Portuguese football. It is now up to the new guys to take Portugal to the next level.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hear ya! JVP's move was very stupid!!!! Right in front of the ref! What did he expect? JVP actually argued with the ref after!!!!

It's Ironic how the supposed Golden Boy of the Golden Generation is the one who f*cked us when all the money was on the table! This was a Golden opportunity to actually win the World Cup and now it's the same old sh!t! Root for Brazil!!!

Beto's sending off was a little more understandable although he was not playing smart at least he wasn't trying to actually clip a Korean!!!!

I am very dissapointed in our NT and especially JVP!!!! Damn I wish Rui Costa started!!!! Oliveira needs to be fired and we need to bring in a foreign coach who doesn't play favorites with players who have no business starting!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
u want to no what KID im gonna drop it cause im not goona look like a the immature one, i aint having a great day so i let u slide this time. P.S. u are a hipocret though

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Smarten up guys, don't be childish.

Sadly for us, the better team won today. Here's my take on the game, and if you disagree with me, which I expect many will, then all I can say is you're entitled to your opinion.

Some of the blame obviously has to go to the players, (some more than others J.V.P.), but properly, this defeat should be hung around the head of Oliveira. If he wasn't incompetent, then he must have been bribed.

How could he not put on R.C. as soon as J.V.P. got red carded? Nevermind that he made the first mistake of not starting Rui, but it is just inexplicable that he did not use him after. He made many other mistakes, using up our substitutions on exchanging defense players then leaving himself without an attacking option, but worse than that was the HUGE mistake he made of not preparing the players 'mentally' for the game. If this tournament has shown anything, it's that technical ability and experience do not take a back seat to having the proper attitude and work ethic. The Koreans outworked us, and more than that they brought more heart to the game than we did.

I was so ashamed for the game of futebol when Italy and Mexico wasted the last 5 minutes of their encounter by not playing each other and just kicking the ball around their end to preserve the tie result.

Today, I am ashamed for the game AND my country which tried to do the same thing with 50 minutes left!

I understand the tactical decision to try and play for a tie. But for heavens sake, NOT when the game isn't even half over! That was cowardly. I'm sorry, but there's no other word for it. They were there to play, not cower like frightened children in front of a team they should've beaten 9 out of 10 times. The Koreans took the initiative, risked the goal like men - and deserved to send us home. Too late we woke to the danger and then with 9 men started dominate, but with desperation. Shame on Oliveira for wasting this opportunity, for wasting this talent, and for not removing himself if he wasn't equal to the task. We betrayed ourselves by not playing our beautiful game - and this is the just reward. We tried to weasel our way to the next round, when God gave them the talent to do more.

I said it before, and I'll say it now, for me it would have been preferable to me to see them play with heart and lose, than proceed and play like cowards. My heart is broken today, but hopefully Portugal will learn some lessons from this, and act like men when they play in 2004.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts