Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think our biggest flop or dissapointment has ever been in your eyes,It could be anyone.Obviously to mind comes Patrick Kluivert promising so much yet arriving under a dark cloud and perhaps unable to show us what he could really do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,529 Posts
Redondo, easily.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
17,146 Posts
I don't think it's fair to say it was Redondo as he was hacked down most of the time by injuries and after that, he was never the same player he was before. What a pity!:groan:

One that truly dissapointed was Rivaldo. We were all expecting marvels from him, specially after his brillant World Cup where he was the MVP and best player for Brasil....However, to be fair, his personal problems got in the way and prevented him to have the serenity to focus on his game. Another great pity!:eek:

Cheers.;)
 

·
1st Tier Poster
Joined
·
49,958 Posts
That was before my time, but from what I heard it seems that Lentini's transfer was quite a flop. Wasn't he the world's record signing at that time?

From recent times: Redondo and Rivaldo. Fernando was most highly rated defensive midfielder in the world when we bought him for quite a high price...and then he was out for 2 years and eventually played only a couple of unimportant games for us.

Rivaldo's small contribution wasn't really a surprise for me, despite his good WC2002. He had a dissapointing season for Barca in 2001/02, when he looked like a completely another player compared to his fantastic form in 2000/01. Also Serie A wasn't a right league for him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
pcpc said:
hard to imagine a bigger flop than Lehmann, except for Ian Rush!
Considering that he is doing fine with Arsenal, now is even allowed to compet with Kahn for NT position, I think we have made our due contribution to other less fortunate ones, though we might have suffered... :smileani:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
aim said:
Considering that he is doing fine with Arsenal, now is even allowed to compet with Kahn for NT position, I think we have made our due contribution to other less fortunate ones, though we might have suffered... :smileani:
Lehman is inconsistent and can not really competently deal with crosses in a manor that gives confidence to the team. I would even go so far to say that the goalie is the weakest spot for Arsenal. Also it should be noted that Kahn has slipped up and his performances are not what they once were. I would say that by the performances of both those goalies that the best person for the German #1 is Hildebrand. It should be said that I haven't seen Hildebrand play in a while so feel free to tell me I am wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,061 Posts
Huh? If Lehmann is good in one thing (as most German keepers, in contrary to most non-German keepers including the WC ones, e.g. Casillas), it is intercepting crosses.

Nontheless I agree he is inconstant. But for sure not even close to our biggest flops.

Economically, Lentini and Redondo have to be mentioned due their injuries, while Jose Mari just flopped without any excuse ;)

Javi Moreno was quite crappy too, Winston Bograde, Michael Reiziger, Patrick Kluivert, Rivaldo, Ziege, Ba... the list is so long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,190 Posts
Psycho said:
Huh? If Lehmann is good in one thing (as most German keepers, in contrary to most non-German keepers including the WC ones, e.g. Casillas), it is intercepting crosses.

.
When Dida retires we should sign him again :cool: It will certainly brain shock Billy&Paolo, that due to this shock might rejuvenite 10 years :hopefull: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Lehman is terrible at clearing crosses and corners. He is very liable to make mistakes like that. He often losses it in the air and sees it again at the last second, then having to make a quick action to recover.

But before we start arguing about this. I'll go talk to the Arsenal forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Both Ba and Ziege had a good season or two in them before they turned from gold to manure. Jose Mari and Kluivert was expected much of and neither had and good reasons for failing. Rivaldo is obviosly high on the list even if we did well without him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zeige was one I really had high hopes for,of forgot about him.Had that much potential yet didn't really shine at the San Siro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Psycho. I've talked to some Arsenal supporters and they agree with you so I will agree with you as well. It just seemed that when ever I watched an Arsenal game Lehman always srews up from a cross or a corner. I guess I haven't watched very many games then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zangari_Italia said:
Psycho. I've talked to some Arsenal supporters and they agree with you so I will agree with you as well. It just seemed that when ever I watched an Arsenal game Lehman always srews up from a cross or a corner. I guess I haven't watched very many games then.
I tried telling that to the gunners fan's sometime back in all niceness that Lehmann was so overrated and prone to silly mistakes. ;)
In terms of the Zizou option I never heard of that,but if it's true . :eekani:
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
17,146 Posts
Quivering said:
Didn't the management have an option on Zidane but picked Ba instead?
No. It was between Ba and Figo and Galliani and co went for the younger one. :lala::googly: At the time, Ba was an up and coming phenomena but then, he dissapeared...:eek:

Also worth mentionning that both Inter and Manchester United had option on Zidane. Cantona had personally advised Fergusson to sign Yazhid but the Scott found him not fit for the English style of football. As to Inter, well, the Inter management didn't believe him to be da Inter :stuckup:

Looking retrospectively at how things turned out, I'm glad that Zidane went to Juve. I am not sure he would have turned out that mesmerizing, sublime and phenomenal player had he gone to one of those two other clubs...:lala::mute:

Cheers.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
San Siro said:
I don't think it's fair to say it was Redondo as he was hacked down most of the time by injuries and after that, he was never the same player he was before. What a pity!:groan:

One that truly dissapointed was Rivaldo. We were all expecting marvels from him, specially after his brillant World Cup where he was the MVP and best player for Brasil....However, to be fair, his personal problems got in the way and prevented him to have the serenity to focus on his game. Another great pity!:eek:

Cheers.;)

Could you imagine a fully fit Redondo now instead of Pirlo??? Even after 2 years injury he put in a few stellar performances.....
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top