Xtratime Community banner

1161 - 1180 of 1180 Posts

·
Registered
59,138 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Would have liked to see Karim back in Eredivisie, even with us, but I'm sure he's enjoyed it down there too.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I watched the RB Leipzig - Mainz match this weekend (ended 3-1) to see St. Juste and Boetius play. Jeremiah starts at CB and is still rated as one of the fastest CBs in 1.Bundesliga. Still, the Mainz defense is leaky. Jean-Paul came on around minute 70 and looked as lost as he did at times with Feyenoord.

BTW, ESPN+ is carrying 1.Bundesliga this season (every match!) and one weekly 2.Bundesliga match. I have switched over to watching German futbol and leaving the BLM-obsessed MLS for the dustbin. MLS keeps adding a new team or two each season which greatly waters down the talent. $$$$$ is ruining MLS when it was showing some promise a few years back.

You all should go over to the German forum and take the ESPN Bundesliga quiz. Based upon a bunch of questions, it selects the German club for you to follow. I got Hoffenheim. I suspect most USAers will go with Bayern Munich. I LOVE the Stuttgart kit, so that is whom I follow. If I were ever to visit Germany, that is the part that I would most likely visit.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I followed the MLS a bit when Zlatan played there, heh.

As for Germany, my brother lives in Hamburg. That's a very cool city. There's lots of beautiful old towns in Germany though.

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
Borussia Monchengladbach for me :D in that quiz.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
As for Germany, my brother lives in Hamburg. That's a very cool city. There's lots of beautiful old towns in Germany though.
I remember you saying that your brother was a St. Pauli fan. I didn't realize that St. Pauli was a district in Hamburg. I know Germany like the back of my head! Hahaha.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Watched St. Juste and Boetius again, yesterday, in their 1-4 loss to VfB Stuttgart. Boetius got the secondary assist on the Mainz goal, but then things fell apart. His play was praised by the commentator, but as the match wore on the Boetius attitude began to emerge, flip-flopping around and generally being useless. Too bad. He had such promise as a young player with Feyenoord, who used him as a left winger. Mainz has him playing the #10 role.

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
We indeed expected a lot from Boetius after his promising debut against Ajax at the age of 17. His second spell with us was disappointing though.

Talking of former wingers, Elvis Manu is now at Ludogorets after being released by his Chinese club. Manu made a telling contribution earlier in the week with a goal and assist as Ludogorets qualified for the Europa League group stages. I think they'll be a good fit for him, just like with Lukoki.

Idrissi has left AZ for Sevilla. We get 200k from the 12 million euro deal. Every penny counts I guess in this Corona period.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I watched St. Juste and Boetius again this past Friday, 4-0 loss to Union Berlin. Mainz is competing with Schalke to be the worst team in 1.B this season. 2.B looks to be on their horizon.

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
What's up with Schalke by the way? Huge stadium with a big crowd (pre-Corona) , not a dime to spend and looking pretty hopeless.

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
No foreign adventure, but Willem II and a reunion with Martin van Geel and Jacky Mathijsen for Jan-Arie :D

Apparently the foreign side interested was Turkish second tier side Boluspor as well as Emmen and Twente.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Over in another futbol forum, Luc Castaignos has been accepted into the Freddy Adu Hall of Shame, for players who never even got close to achieving their over-hyped potentials. Once bought by Inter Milan from Feyenoord, Luc now plays for Korean SECOND division side Gyeongnam FC .

Summerville? Zirkzee? Are you paying attention?

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
Second division :cautious: His scoring record has become progressively worse since he left Twente. There he at least was able to outpace the likes of Jack Mathijsen and score a few.

Daryl Janmaat has had his contract terminated by Watford. He wants to go back to Holland. If you look back clubs which need a RB, one which springs to mind is FC Utrecht.

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
'

Our man has joined Derby County :cool: where he joins Cocu and Rooney. Currently in 20th place so not the best of starts.

Jonathan de Guzman has gone to OFI Crete. Midtable side nowadays. 26c there today 😮

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Our man has joined Derby County :cool: where he joins Cocu and Rooney. Currently in 20th place so not the best of starts.
Kazim-Richards!

Derby County - Watford match to be carried by ESPN+ today so maybe I'll watch it. Doubt that K-R will start but considering how few goals Derby has scored, maybe Cocu will bring him on in the second half.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Derby County lost at home in an empty stadium 0-1 to Watford. Kazim-Richards didn't even suit up as he isn't match fit yet. Derby County was pretty pathetic, especially in the offensive zone. Rooney was all by his lonesome up top and his teammates were incapable of giving him a decent cross or through ball. Cocu is expected to be given the sack shortly.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I guess Kazim's role will be to cover for Rooney? There are similarities in their playing styles, even if Rooney might be of a different pedigree!

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Tony Vilhena assisted on Krasnodar's only goal in their 1-1 draw with Stade Rennes in the first group stage match of the Champions League. Krasnodar are in Group E along with Rennes, Chelsea, and Sevilla. Tough group.

1161 - 1180 of 1180 Posts