Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ankle injury to hamper Figo at World Cup

Friday 3rd May 2002

Real Madrid doctor Alfonso del Corral expects Luis Figo's up-and-down form to continue through the World Cup due to a troublesome ankle injury.

"He has good days when he plays normally, while on others he feels pain," said Del Corral, who decided with Figo that they would avoid an operation at all costs.

"Surgery to rebuild the ankle ligaments would have put Figo out for months and meant him missing the World Cup and the final games of the Spanish season. That's why we chose the other route. His condition doesn't worry us too much," he added.

Figo picked up the injury against Porto in the Champions' League during February. Ruptured ligaments were diagnosed, but Del Corral told the player he could go on playing as treatment on his ankle continued.

"We cannot predict the consequences with certainty," added Del Corral. "But I don't think Figo needs an operation now.

"I believe he can continue recovering without missing training or the World Cup. The problem is that rest is fundamental to his recovery and Figo has not had enough time for that."

The Portugal star returned to action in early April, after an earlier aborted comeback attempt against Deportivo La Coruna in the Copa del Rey final.

"I will continue to feel the pain for quite some time, but I am glad to be able to give the coach one more option," he explained.

"It is easy to speak about the Copa final now, because everyone knows that maybe I should have waited. But I do not regret trying to play in that game because beforehand it seemed fine.

"It has been a very complicated injury and has taken a lot more time to recover from than was first thought, but luckily I have not needed an operation. I have just kept working away and it has been like pre-season training for me."

Figo has not been at his best since returning to the side and was replaced in the second half of Real's draw with former club Barcelona in the Champions' League semi-final second leg in midweek.

:sob:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Its pretty obvious Figo's not 100% fit, and that the injury is still effecting him :(

I hope he can shake it off before May 15th. I am sure Figo will be ready for the World Cup!

D

·
0 Posts
It is as if Figo cannot take any pain at all, for his size he goes down far to easy and always looks in agony when someone litterally "taps" him on the leg.

Ancle injury? Either that or the doctor has been told to say that. Figo's playing crap lately and an ancle injury looks to be the escape-goat.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DeJackal said:
It is as if Figo cannot take any pain at all, for his size he goes down far to easy and always looks in agony when someone litterally "taps" him on the leg.

Ancle injury? Either that or the doctor has been told to say that. Figo's playing crap lately and an ancle injury looks to be the escape-goat.
Is that you again SanSiro? Jeez, c'mon out of there why don't you...

:D

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
the most amazing thing is that many people thought the presence of such big names in our team would craete internal problems within the team,but it seems the players are all fine with each other,but us fans have the problems.:D

Anyway,it has been quite obvious that Figo is not 100% fit.If you analyse his pattern of bad play,you'll see it's mostly due to him having lacking that initial burst when he first gets the ball at his feet.At his best,he'd receive the ball and blow by the defender with a shoulder drop or something like that almost in one movement.He seems to be unable to pull off that shoulder drop that well these days,and it is no coincidence that the shoulder drop(IMO the move he has perfected) puts a lot of pressure on the ankle.

Hopefully he'll be okay,and can play well in the Final and also the World Cup.I'm really looking forward to him having a big World Cup,hopefully he'll capture the world's imagination again like during EURO2000.:cool: He has many detractors unfortunately(hope he makes them kiss his ass by winning the UCL with us) because of you know what ,but it's nothing a great world cup can't change.Just a few months ago,people were hesitant to put him below Zidane,but if Figo can have a brilliant World Cup,he can again lay claim to arguably being the greatest of his generation along with Zizou.:cool::cool::star::star:

Question is ,will he have the operation after the World Cup?How many months is that likely to sideline him for?3?

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
It would be a tremendous blow to see a player of the calibre of Figo miss the World Cup. The World Cup without Figo would be missing an important ingredient. I fear that this world cup may well unfortunately be hit hard by injuries to some star players such as Pires, Becks, Batigol, Crespo, Figo and others...:depress::sad::fero::mad:

Let us all hope that no more liabilities will be added to the already big list of players missing the World Cup due to injury...:eek:

Fee-Go,

Iy you're here to talk about football, you're more than welcomed. However, if you're here to insult posters and make false accusations, then you are in the wrong place my friend. Just a friendly reminder. Thanks.:)

P.S. Are you going to believe anyone to say any negative comments about Figo to be me???:eek::rollani::tongue:

·
Registered
323 Posts
the injury is alot more serious then real madrid and portugal federation wants us to believe!

like ronaldo in 98 wc, figo will not be at his best...

and to operate him is enevitable , just like kiko and other players that suffer the same injury. the fact is the other players are not even a shadow of themselfs after operation.

however figo is not like any other player! he is mentally very strong but even so i think if we want to see him play like before again , we have to look at old tapes ... to remenber what he was like... i pulled the game he played vs roma for the champions league and it was good to see him at his usual...

he won the game single handle and set the tone for real madrid's success in this year's champs..

and i'm amazed how people's memory is so short... they have the nerve to come to this forum and say he did nothing this year to deserve any credit:confused:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
eman, how serious do you thnk his injury might be?:confused:

Valdano had said that should Figo goes for an operation, he'll definitely be out for months = missing the World Cup. However, they have chose the alternative for Figo to be on treatment everyday so that he'd not miss the UCL final and World Cup. I think this is the best scenario all parties are happy with. But this could means operation after the World Cup and missing our start of the season.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think his injury is very serious - he's been off his form far too long for it to be minor - so much so that del Bosque sould think seriously about not starting Figo in Glasgow.

MacManaman has been playing better recently and he has the mobility and speed which Figo now lacks.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Unfortunately this season we got a slot lesser after sacrificing one more to Zizou and with Solari so on form, you can only expect Macca next to them..

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
ah :rolleyes:

I have flashbacks of starting Figo in the Copa final for the glory, rather then the real match needs. it went horrible.

Figo wants to start the UCL final, i can understand. But if he isn't fit, Del B shouldn't fall into that trap again. He might do more damage giving 100% in 30 minutes then 70% in 90.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Vampire Lestat said:
..But if he isn't fit, Del B shouldn't fall into that trap again. ...
The Copa final this centenary is a perfect example. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts