Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Otto Bariæ podnio ostavku (01.04.2004.)
ZAGREB - Samo tri sata nakon prijateljske nogometne utakmice u Zagrebu izmeðu Hrvatske i Turske (2:2) hrvatski selektor Otto Bariæ podnio je ostavku na svoju funkciju. Ogorèen napadima novinara, te predsjednika saveza Vlatka Markoviæa, koji je u društvu predsjednika države Stipe Mesiæa i legendarnog francuskog reprezentativca Michela Platinija pratio utakmicu u Maksimiru, Bariæ je izjavio kako više ne može ovo trpjeti, te je zbog zdravstvenih razloga primoran napustiti mjesto selektora. Kap koja je prelila èašu je bila izgleda izjava predsjednika Stjepana Mesiæa, koji je napomenuo Markoviæu da Hrvatska nema igre, te da se mora razmisliti o novom selektoru. Ova izjava još ne bi ni bila problematièna, da nije došla do uha uvijek znatiželjnih novinara, koji su to prenapuhali i stvorili mali politièki skandal. Prema nekim razgovorima koje je Markoviæ obavio odmah nakon tih dogaðaja, vrlo je vjerovatno kako æe Hrvatsku u Portugal voditi bivši reprezentativac Slaven Biliæ.

·
Registered
69,081 Posts
There was another one about Soldo coming back to play for the NT. Although I agree Soldo is still a good player for his club and was a great player in the past, do we really need him? Why not respect his decision of retirement. I find it terrible that Baric is begging a 37 year old player to step into the NT when we can call up younger players like Vranjes, Ivan Leko, Carevic etc..

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Compared to Soldo our young players look like shit. Soldo is a great player now. That's why it would be great if he was back. Vranjes, Leko, Babic are inconsistent. They can play good some games and sometimes they play bad.

Soldo isn't coming back unfortunately.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have to disagree with you Super Croat. I don't doubt that the quality of Soldo its just that I don't see any point in bringing him back just for Euro. Soldo has been unfortunate during his NT career, because he was usually on the bench, because he simply couldn't break into the first 11 of a great side.

A lot of our young players are inconsistant, but we have to persist with them. They are our future and I think that bringing Soldo back is a step in the wrong direction. Besides we have many players that can play his position, but I take your point that he would be more reliable than some of the others.

Baric has to sort out the midfield. Unfortunately Kranjcar has been injured and we haven't been able to see what he can do for the NT. The only player that we seem certain of in midfield is Rapaic on the left. I have a feeling that Baric still has doubts over Srna, Leko, Rosso and maybe a couple of others. I hope that he doesn't resort to Tudor in midfield, but I wouldn't be suprised.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Soldo was the only decent player at WC 2002 along with Rapaic. The rest of team was a let down.

How about bringing Soldo back for that onfield leadership and experience that is so important to his club team? Would you see the point then? Bottom line is with Soldo in the team, the team is much stronger.

If it was possible to make the team stronger for Euro, wouldn't you do it? Makes sense to me...we are not here to build the team for the next WC. We are at Euro to try and win. To win you need the best players you can get. In this case we can't get Soldo unless he changes his mind. I really don't see a problem in asking him. He his playing excellent soccer consistently and really is better then our younger players in mid.

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
Soldo is the best Croatian midfielder NOW...IMO he wuld be a great addition to the team..

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
No disrespect to Soldo or to Croatian soccer but if Soldo is our best midfielder now? then we SUCK! and shouldn't even be going to Euro in Portugal

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
That is disrespecting Soldo... He is one of the best midfielders in the Bundesliga. It's not that our younger players don't have talent...it's just that we need that "rock" in mid-field. Soldo is an excellent player right now...I wouldn't care if he was 50 and playing the way he is...he'd be in my team.

·
Registered
69,081 Posts
it would be OK for him to play in Euro 2004 but he can't play in the qualifiers for the World Cup because that is when we need to test the youngsters like Carevic, Pranjic.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
I'm not disrespecting Soldo but he has never been a super great player. He was always a good hard working solid defensive midfielder. I don't know how he on this version of the N/T can be that impactful? Like in 2002 when he played very well but what could he do with all the below average players around him? Maybe in Stuttgart he has the proper personel around him and he can do his job all the better and rightfully so recognized for it but it still wont solve any of the problems for our N/T! We need a guy that can distribute the ball creatively and precisely in the midfield(attacking) role. If Soldo comes on it still wont solve that it only might encourage Baric to force N.Kovac there like in 2002:rolleyes: .Maybe Kranjcar can do that but time is almost up and I personally think it is for him to get into the A team and make an impact in Portugal(I hope I am wrong) maybe J.Leko or I.Leko can fill that role otherwise I dont know if we will have a guy like that come Euro. Plus looking at Soldo's interviews he has repeatedly said he doesn't want to play anymore for the N/T! that sounds a lot like a guy that has given his all for the N/T in the past and has put it behind him trying to focus on his club team football and vacation time with his family in the summer. It doesnt sound like he is super pumped to play on the big international stage again and we need guys that are hungry to still prove themselves(Prso-Tudor-Srna-Rapaic-Leko-Sokota-Klasnic-Babic). Its not like we would be calling back Robi Prosinecki like we did for the W/C 2002 qualifiers after he said he would not play for the N/T anymore if Ciro was still coaching it. Robi was a superstar world class player who we desperatly needed after Boban and Asanovic left and sure even though Robi wasn't always in the best shape compared to Soldo who im sure is still the hard worker he always was, Prosinecki had that something special that not a lot of players have and to take a risk on him seems more understandable to me than to bring back Soldo who like I said before is a good mid but is not a player we are desperatley lackin. Also we have younger guys that can do the job maybe not as great as Soldo but they are definetly developing into being even better than him if given the right chances to showcase thier stuff.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
CroatTommy said:
I'm not disrespecting Soldo but he has never been a super great player. He was always a good hard working solid defensive midfielder. I don't know how he on this version of the N/T can be that impactful?
Soldo played every minute of every game at France '98 except for the Argentina game. He was a very important defensive player that allowed our mid-fielders to play more of an attacking game. He's not flashy, he wont 'wow' you with his skill but, he would make the NT better if he was playing in it.

I watched about six games he's played in this year for Stuttgart...he leads there mid-field...he may not be able to dribble through guys like a Zidane...but he can distribute the ball as well as any mid-fielder in the World and he can score goals. The two games I watched Leko play, Champions league against Inter, he was great but he was playing as an offensive mid-fielder...not defensive. Soldo and Leko in the middle would be great together.

There is no risk in bringing back Soldo if he is playing at the level he is at. He is playing at a higher level than any of our other mid-fielders. Robi was well past his best at the last WC as was Suker who didn't score goals anymore. Soldo is STILL playing at a high level. He is rated higher than both Babic and Vranjes. Most soccer experts would say he is better than Leko right now. He's not a player that is past it.

I know he's not going to play as he stated...I just said there was nothing wrong in asking him. I'd feel our chances would be better with him in the team for Euro.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Fair enough SuperCro.

Yeah I don't get a chance to watch Stuttgart or any other team in the German league at all almost. Mostly we here in Ontario with cable tv get Serie A and English Premier league mixed with the Champions League.

·
Banned
852 Posts

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Its not like I haven't seen Soldo play before remember he played for the national team before;) and at 37 years old I don't think he has picked up any new moves so I was basing my comments on his previous performances for the N/T and his style of play.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't doubt the ability of Soldo, I just don't think it is worth bringing him back for Euro. Let the younger players gain experience at a major tornament, which will hopefully allow them to further develop.

The problem I can see is that if Soldo does join the team for Euro and doesn't perform. Everyone will be asking why we brought a 37 year old back to the team and what a waste it was.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I think he's proven in the past that he can perform in a big tournament and his current form is better than anyone else's in mid-field.

It's not like Soldo is a shadow of his former self. Some could argue he is in the best form of his life. 37 is old for soccer but, Soldo doesn't look like a 37 year old on the field. He has the endurance to play 90 minutes in Bundesliga and Champions League...

Our current players in mid-field lack consistency and confidence. Something adding Soldo to the mix would definately fix.

I had a proffessional coach once tell me that to be successful you have to put your best players on the pitch. Soldo is our best player in mid-field right now.

You don't play younger players in a big tournament just for the sake of giving them experience. You put your best team on if you are trying to win. Euro is not a practice tournament...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts