Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another curious twist to Fiorentina’s tale, Coach Ottavio Bianchi has been appointed the club's President.
The decision was made official during today’s Board of Directors meeting.

Bianchi, who will also remain on the bench until the end of this season, becomes the 19th President in Fiorentina’s history.
Before taking over from ex-boss Roberto Mancini, Bianchi was the director of sport at the troubled club.

The former President, Ugo Poggi, resigned this week just two months after his appointment.
Poggi had protested, “the club has absolutely no plans for the future. Had I known the situation, I would never have agreed to become President.”

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chiarugi is new Viola Coach

Fiorentina have revolutionised the club set-up with two major changes this weekend.

Coach Ottavio Bianchi has been appointed as the new President, while Luciano Chiarugi will sit on the bench for the remaining five games of the season.
It was previously believed that Bianchi would become the first Italian ever to be both President and Coach of the same team, but the former Technical Director backed out of the management post.

“I feel embarrassed,” he noted. “I really was not expecting this job. We are trying to put together a group of professionals who can run this club in a healthy manner and try to return to Serie A immediately, if that will be possible.”

Bianchi is the 19th President in the history of the troubled club which remains deep in debt and virtually relegated.

“All plans must of course be made within the financial possibilities of Fiorentina,” added Bianchi. “From today I will start thinking about who can be the next Coach. It’s a decision that will force me to take many different situations into account.”

Assistant Manager Chiarugi will take over the team until the end of the season. He becomes the third Coach of the campaign after Roberto Mancini and Bianchi.

The decisions were made during Friday’s Board of Directors meeting in which former President Ugo Poggi resigned due to what he called “a lack of prospects or plans for the future of Fiorentina.”

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
it doesn't matter who is president. I could be president or the Pope could be president and it would not matter. VCG runs the show. and that is the problem. nothing is being solved by appointing this new president.

thanks for the information sebastien

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
sebastien said:
Poggi had protested, “the club has absolutely no plans for the future. Had I known the situation, I would never have agreed to become President.”
I don't suppose it ever occurred to him that as President he might be responsible for developing some plans of his own!?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Mutti in Viola boss link Thursday 11 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palermo boss Bortolo Mutti is said to be of interest to Fiorentina. The Viola outfit, set for Serie B football next season, see Mutti as the man to take them back into the top flight.

Reports from Italy claim that new Fiorentina President Ottavio Bianchi, who just weeks ago was the Viola Coach, is to contact the former Napoli tactician in a bid to convince him to take the Franchi position.

However, Mutti is doing an excellent job in Sicily and he’s unlikely to be released by the club. Other possible candidates for the Viola post include Renzo Ulivieri and Edy Reja.

Meanwhile, Bianchi is also said to be working on a number of sales. High wage earners such as Nuno Gomes, Angelo Di Livio and Enrico Chiesa (pictured) are all expected to be sold in a bid to ease the financial crisis.

The latter, in particular, could raise sufficient funds for the debt ridden club. Having already turned down a move to Lazio last September, Chiesa is set to start a new bidding war.

Despite having missed almost all of this season with a knee ligament injury, Milan, Juventus and Lazio are all set to show an interest in the international. The Rossoneri are said to be leading the hunt.

channel4

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Carson35 said:
Palermo boss Bortolo Mutti is said to be of interest to Fiorentina. The Viola outfit, set for Serie B football next season, see Mutti as the man to take them back into the top flight.
What a joke!

Palermo is in 7th place in serie B, and not headed for promotion. Are we to assume Mutti could do even better with next year's Fiorentina, after all the talented players have been sold?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts