Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you pay attention to other World Cups...
i.e. Brasil just won the Beach World Cup, did anyone care??
This year there is also the Futsal World Cup that only happens once every 4 years, with Spain winning the last 2! Does anyone care about this World Cup?

What about youth World Cups, are you more prone to pay attention to those than to a beach or futsal tournament?

Me? I freakin love futsal! So I definately want to watch it!

anyone else?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Beach WC + Futsal WC are great! :thmbup:

Yesterday arvo I walked past the TV and to my surprise they were showing highlights from the Beach semi finals. Immediately I was hooked. Futsal is great also, but here it's quite tough to find any coverage. Admittedly I watch more of these youth events, mainly because they get more air time, but I must say I'm developing quite a liking for futsal and beach futebol.

·
Legend
1,550 Posts
I watch beach whenever its on. However, I don't read or search for it on the web (regarding news and other related information). I've seen some fantastic futsal youtube videos though . . .

·
Legend
1,550 Posts
Also, I've never seen futsal on television. Is that common in Brazil?

·
Administrator
53,561 Posts
Beach soccer is broadcasted often enough when its important event, like recently. But besides some show of agility and touch, beach soccer is quite boring, not really that much of the fun that is in football.

On the other hand, Futsal is like they took only the fun parts of football, but yeah, as reo said, they NEVER broadcast futsal here. I dont think I ever seen a game televised, at most a highlight for the sport news.

P.S Ofcourse one watches the youth world cups for football, when one remembers atleast.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I challenge you all to watch this years finals- the goals were AMAZING... Beach soccer goals are usually top notch! I love watching the touch and insane 3/4 court shots that bullet to upper corner shot with bare feet!

go to FIFA.com and click on the homepage to watch the highlights! Its good stuff I think...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I pay a lot of attention to all non-FIFA tournaments including the cups organised for those non-recognised nations. I am a board member of an organisation involved with non-FIFA football so I more or less have to follow it from close range :)

Also, I pay attention to the women's world cup. Both the players and the play :thumbsup: It is the only discipline of football where Norway is actually good...

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Neither are played here in England so get little coverage. Futsal is sometimes on on Eurosport but I don't watch it really.
On very rarely it seems, which is a shame because futsal is a great sport. Eurosport do show a lot of beach football, which is alright to watch for a little while but soon gets boring IMO. Much better to play, naturally.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
I think futsal gets very coverage though because people here play five-a-side football instead. Maybe if people played futsal it would generate more interest.
True, which is a shame because all 5-a-side football is here is a scaled down version of pub league 11 a side. The main difference is that the overweight builders cant slide tackle so they just maul you in some other way (and get away with it). I dont even think most of my friends know what futsal is.

·
Registered
70,573 Posts
Futsal's great because the countries with no technical skills/smarts get exposed big time when playing. No coincidence that Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Russia, Portugal, and Italy are the powerhouse sides.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I would watch it but it does not get televised around here

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
True, which is a shame because all 5-a-side football is here is a scaled down version of pub league 11 a side. The main difference is that the overweight builders cant slide tackle so they just maul you in some other way (and get away with it). I dont even think most of my friends know what futsal is.
I play five-a-side, and my team play some wonderful stuff. The use of boards however reduces the need for accurate passing, but it does mean players have to be quick and skilled on the ball.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
I play five-a-side, and my team play some wonderful stuff. The use of boards however reduces the need for accurate passing, but it does mean players have to be quick and skilled on the ball.
I used to play outdoor five-a-side with no boards. I've played it indoors too and in special 'cages' both with boards and the game has a much different tempo and feel to it. Outdoors somehow encourages more of a physical kick and rush approach. In our leagues there were some decent teams too but the vast majority contained aggressive players aided by referees who turn a blind eye. Rino Gattuso would be king in my old league.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts