Xtratime Community banner

2461 - 2480 of 2505 Posts

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
After all the pessimism here (which is normally my job ;) ) I had a good feeling about today, thought she has a decent chance after her good performances (but my opinion isn't worth a lot in tennis). Really happy for her, great job Simona!
On CNN they talked the usual bullshit: "Do you think being able to win her 24th title was too big of a burden, all eyes on her..." Come on give me a break these have to be one of the weakest excuses ever considering we talk about one of the greatest female tennis players ever...all eyes on her, poor girl, she's not used to this, leave the young talents alone goddammit!!

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
Serena looked so unfit, slow and in a horrible condition overall....how can you reach with her movement and agility the finals of a Grand Slam final?! This and a 56! minutes long final (how is equal pay in Grand Slams fair to men?) tells a lot about the quality of women tennis.

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
From the moment they play 5 sets you are admitting they have bigger challenges than women...of course it's not fair
I don't understand how you exactly mean this, could you explain?

Even if women would play 5 sets it wouldn't be fair, men generate much more money (sponsors, viewership...) and this is how show business, sports, etc work.

·
Registered
16,087 Posts
I don't understand how you exactly mean this, could you explain?

Even if women would play 5 sets it wouldn't be fair, men generate much more money (sponsors, viewership...) and this is how show business, sports, etc work.
Yes, but one can argue that lack of proper promotion hurts the popularity of womens tennis. The debate seems to be around promoting as much womens sports, that there is a bias. But IMO in the end men's sport is more competitive and that results in more popularity no matter how promoted it is. And the fact that men are able to play 5 sets in tennis is an evidence of this. It's like comparing an U21 game to a senior one

·
Registered
42,475 Posts
I'm more interested in WTA actually. Women's tennis gets bashed a lot, for things like the quality and the inconsistency of the players, lack of true rivalries etc. but I like the unpredictable nature of things. Barty winning the French when clay is her weakest surface says it all. On the men's side there's basically three possible winners total.

·
Registered
69,564 Posts
I have to agree with Jeffrey there, I prefer women's tennis too.

I watched Nadal vs Kyrgios and was horrible. More than a ****ing hour without a break.

·
Registered
69,564 Posts
Festivalul Olimpic al Tineretului European (FOTE) s-a încheiat ieri la Baku. Destinată sportivilor cu vârste între 14 și 18 ani, această competiție, care se ține din doi în doi ani începând cu 1991, este locul potrivit pentru afirmarea viitoarelor staruri ale sportului de pe Bătrânul Continent.

În ultima zi a întrecerilor, delegația României a cucerit cinci medalii la gimnastică în finalele pe aparate de la bârnă și sol la feminin și la sărituri la masculin și una de argint grație echipei feminine de volei.

Astfel, totalul a ajuns la 19 distincții (obiectivul fiind de 8-10 distincții), dintre care patru de aur, zece de argint și cinci de bronz. Medaliile de aur ale delegației „tricolore” au fost cucerite de Georgiana Lavinia Antuca (lupte, cat. 46 kg), Giorgia-Barbara Hagianu (judo, cat. 40 kg), David Popovici (înot, 100 m liber), Bianca Andreea Costea (înot, 50 m liber).

GSP

·
Registered
42,475 Posts
Andreescu made the final of the Rogers Cup where she'll face Serena. I've seen highlights of the latter's matches and I have to say, Serena's movement is looking far better now. She was in good form in her win against Osaka. Will be tough for Bianca.

·
Registered
69,564 Posts
Third woman to reach the US Open final in her debut (in the Open era) after Pam Shriver (1978) and Venus Williams (1997).

First tennis player (man or woman) born in the 2000 decade to reach a GS final.

Her record this year is 44 wins - 4 defeats. Nadal is 46-7, Federer 43-7, Djokovic 41-8...and the next woman is Barty 45-9.

Her career record against top10 players is 7-0. No other player won her first 7 matches against top10 players, only Serena did similar (5-2).

Her family come from Valcea county, where her grandparents live

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
9,978 Posts
I think I remember reading somewhere that her mother used to live/work/study in Craiova.

2461 - 2480 of 2505 Posts