Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 525 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this thread is necessary since we dominate all the sports in the world.:cool::D

Iban Mayo won the match-omnium of the six hours of Euskadi, celebrated in Anoeta´s velodrome. It was pretty surprising because he beated fastest cyclists as Igor Astarloa or Alejandro Valverde appart from Joseba Beloki.:cool: Mayo won Valverde in the final for 0.1 sec.

In women, Joane Somarriba tied with the russian Zoulfia Zabirova.

In the ciclo cross world championship David Seco didn´t have his day and ended 20th.:(

·
4,421 Posts
There's a cycling forum in XT!!!

Anyway it's a good idea to have a forum to talk about other sports but try to speak about cycling in the cycling forum!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
How do you all think about Euskaltel's new signing Albizu, he came from Barloworld (former Mercatone Uno).

I've to admit I don't really know him, only heard his name sometimes...

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know Bio, but I don´t consider this new so important for world cycling to put it in the cycling forum. I think this thread is ok to put news about basques in other sports.:)

I don´t know much about Albizu either Knoert, but he must be good since Euskaltel has let a space for him while he negotiated with UCI his exit from Mercatone to the point that Madariaga said he had a place for Albizu and only for him, in case he couldn´t leave Mercatone Euskaltel wouldn´t sign any other. I know there has been problems between Euskaltel and Cafés Baque amateur team in the past, Mayo passed in the last second while Astarloa and Albizu had to go to Italy to pass to profesionalism. Olarra (the rival) riders are always first option. I also know that Albizu is friend of Mayo so I´m pretty sure he´ll be in the Tour helping him.

In the presentation of the team Madariaga said they have changed "the chip" for this season, no one will go for free, all will work for Mayo and Zubeldia in le tour. David Etxebarria and Samuel Sánchez will go for the classics, then le tour with everyone working for the 2 leaders, and Samuel Sánchez and Gorka González will go for la vuelta, depending if the leaders ride la vuelta or not.

Also mention that Mikel Zarrabeitia (2nd in Vuelta, winner of Euskal Bizikleta...) has retired due to his problems with injuries.:( Good luck to Mikel from now on!

Another thing, TAU Baskonia (Vitoria-Gazteiz) is the leader of the ACB league in basketball with the great Macijauskas and Noccioni.:cool:

1 Tau 19 3
2 Pamesa 15 7
3 Barcelona 15 7
4 Adecco Estu. 13 9
5 Manresa 13 9
6 Real Madrid 12 10
7 Unelco Tenerife 12 10
8 Unicaja 12 10
9 DKV Joventut 11 11
10 Caja San Fernando 11 11
11 Auna 11 11
12 Breogán 10 12
13 Fórum 8 14
14 Casademont 8 14
15 Lleida 8 14
16 Fuenlabrada 8 14
17 Etosa Alicante 6 16
18 Polaris Murcia 6 16

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Let's hope it will work then, everyone for Iban and Haimar!

btw, how about Egoi Martinez, he's done very well so far in youth-"games" (right word?), could the forthcoming season become his one, does he go to le tour/vuelta?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Txupa said:
Another thing, TAU Baskonia (Vitoria-Gazteiz) is the leader of the ACB league in basketball with the great Macijauskas and Noccioni.:cool:

1 Tau 19 3
2 Pamesa 15 7
3 Barcelona 15 7
4 Adecco Estu. 13 9
5 Manresa 13 9
6 Real Madrid 12 10

16 Fuenlabrada 8 14
17 Etosa Alicante 6 16
18 Polaris Murcia 6 16
Are Macijauskas and Noccioni basques? :rolleyes: :D

Visca el Barça, a respect for the European Champions.

Som-hi Etosa, we can still save us!!

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knoert said:
Let's hope it will work then, everyone for Iban and Haimar!

btw, how about Egoi Martinez, he's done very well so far in youth-"games" (right word?), could the forthcoming season become his one, does he go to le tour/vuelta?
Yeah, let´s see how Egoi develops this season, he won last years tour de l´avenir. He´ll have to work for a spot in le tour´s team I suppose.

Koeman4 said:
Are Macijauskas and Noccioni basques? :rolleyes: :D
I know, the mafia in basque basket is costing us not having any basque elite player, none. All the public money goes to TAU and Querejeta...sorry Karajeta:devil: invests it in foreign players, they don´t form players, TAU is destroying basque basketball. It´s pretty sad that even Bilbao Basket with the money difference is doing much more for basque players than TAU, actually it sounds really strange but the team that has done most is Unicaja Málaga,:eek: they have 2 (let´s hope) future stars as the Urtasun brothers.

Who was the last decent basque player? pff no idea, Galilea? Laso? Morales? nothing really special, now we have Iturbe, Asier García, Javi Salgado and some more in ACB but not stars as Catalunya has for example, I really envy you: Gasol, López, Navarro, Grimau... Catalunya would be a favourite in an eurobasket.:star:

The other side of the coin is that we can enjoy first level basketball every week in Gazteiz, the best basketball in Europe for my taste. Potential NBA players as Macijauskas, Noccioni or Scola plus a future star as Tiago Splitter, we had him 2 years in Bilbao and trust me, he´ll be great, and a fantastic coach. But none of them are basque.:(

But well, if Querejeta doesn´t stop it with his mafia tricks fortunatelly we will have Bilbao Basket next year in ACB and the sun will start to shine again for basque basket.:cool:;)

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Txupa said:

I know, the mafia in basque basket is costing us not having any basque elite player, none. All the public money goes to TAU and Querejeta...sorry Karajeta:devil: invests it in foreign players, they don´t form players, TAU is destroying basque basketball. It´s pretty sad that even Bilbao Basket with the money difference is doing much more for basque players than TAU, actually it sounds really strange but the team that has done most is Unicaja Málaga,:eek: they have 2 (let´s hope) future stars as the Urtasun brothers.

Who was the last decent basque player? pff no idea, Galilea? Laso? Morales? nothing really special, now we have Iturbe, Asier García, Javi Salgado and some more in ACB but not stars as Catalunya has for example, I really envy you: Gasol, López, Navarro, Grimau... Catalunya would be a favourite in an eurobasket.:star:

The other side of the coin is that we can enjoy first level basketball every week in Gazteiz, the best basketball in Europe for my taste. Potential NBA players as Macijauskas, Noccioni or Scola plus a future star as Tiago Splitter, we had him 2 years in Bilbao and trust me, he´ll be great, and a fantastic coach. But none of them are basque.:(

But well, if Querejeta doesn´t stop it with his mafia tricks fortunatelly we will have Bilbao Basket next year in ACB and the sun will start to shine again for basque basket.:cool:;)
To tell the truth I don't follow much Basketball, I've read somewhere that an ex-TAU player playing for Estudiantes (nice team BTW) did a great match against TAU. Well, I don't know how Basket is working in Euskadi. You have only one team and it seems that the priority is to have a top team with foreig stars. They are doing a good job, they sign well and cheap, and that's good for the team.

In Catalunya we have the best generation of our history, Barça and "la Penya" are doing a great job with the kids. Besides, if we add now Caprabo Lleida, Ricoh Manresa and Casademont Girona, we see that our Basketball is working really well. Gasol, Navarro, Raul, Grimau, etc. are amazing, as you say, we could have a NT favourite in any tournament. I wish to see more players of our land soon.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They don´t buy so cheap, TAU has one of the highest budget I don´t have the numbers but probably the highest between the pure basketball clubs, and probably even above Madrid. And a big amount of that money is public, and around 1000 of the people that fill the buesa arena come from Bilbao and Donostia, basque fans have to go to Gazteiz if they want to see first level basket. And obiously Querejeta wants to keep things this way, to the point that he does everything possible to destroy basketball in Bizkaia and Gipuzkoa and prevent their clubs to promote to ACB.

In Catalunya things work differently, the fact that the main club Barça bases it´s budget from the football section lets the public money and the support from the institutions be shared between the rest of the clubs, and all of them work with the young players. It´s a different case because in Catalunya there´s always been more basketball tradition but still things are being done better there.

I´ve always liked La Penya, became a fan in the good times, with Villacampa, Jofresa bros, Thompson, Smith... those were the good times...:cool: When I was a kid I tried to get as many games from Athletic and Caja Bilbao live as I could, and then on tv I liked to watch the dream team and Joventut.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Interesting to read about European Basketball.

Not to sound arrogant, but most people in the USA are not aware of Euro Baskaetball leagues, and if they are, its usually because a player was not good enough for the NBA, and they goto play in europe. (Kind of like how the only way European people hear of US soccer or MLS, is if a player who is old or out of form goes to the USA to play, like Hristo or Lothar)

BUT, with the influx of extremely talented Euro players , I believe this will change. Some Americans are aware of Barca and Real Madrids Basketball teams. I cant wait till their are great Basque Players in the NBA, Like Peja, Dirk and Kirelenko.
Gasol is pretty good too, but is very soft.

Do you guys follow the NBA? There was once a player named Mark Aguirre:D
http://motorcitybadboys.com/aguirre.html

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=AGUIRMA01

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the very center of Bilbao.:D

You made a good comparison, many people say a player can´t be considered good if he doesn´t demonstrate it in an european top league, in the NBA the same, that´s the reason players as the great Bodigora (who has refused many times to go to NBA) will never have recognition outside Europe.

But there are more players crossing the ocean every day, and the level keeps on balancing, there´s still a difference but I don´t think Euroleague top teams will do very bad in NBA, at least it wouldn´t be a ridicle as in the past.

This years Olympic Games will be very interesting, I think teams such as Lithuania, Argentina Serbia (if they bring the stars) or even Spain (ejem Catalunya:rolleyes: ) can be a headache for the US, even if they bring a good team. I´ll support Puerto Rico:cool: it´s the only sport they have a good team, appart from baseball but I don´t like it much.

I follow NBA, less that I´d like since to get a game live you have to be awake at 3 or 4 am:sleepy: but well, I get as many relive games as I can. I´m not a big fan of any but always had a spot for Indiana Pacers since I´ve always been a fan of Reggie Miller and the Celtics too. I can´t stand the Lakers though.:yuck::D

You´ll have to wait to see a basque in NBA, there isn´t any player coming with quality enough to go there.:( But at least you´ll see players that are playing for basque teams soon, Macijauskas and Noccioni have enough quality to go there and become important NBA players. And if nothing strange happens Tiago Splitter will become a star, the brazilian was the youngest player in a World Championship ever (last year, being 16), has played the last two years in Bilbao doing great and now is playing for Tau, he´ll be great, he has everything. And well, during his time in Bilbao he became a hardcore Athletic fan and he still comes to San Mamés so something is something..;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I do follow the NBA and Tau. BTW Tau are losing right now in Polland in halftime.They must win 2 out of these last 3 games to be in the top 16 in Europe. Come on!!!:devil: :devil: :devil:
It´s not because of you, B2B,but my favourite team are the New York Knicks and they´re on fire again:devil: :devil: :devil: . About Mark Aguirre, I remember him playing for the Mavericks and the Pistons and I heard that he´s an assistant for Wilkens in the Knicks, isn´t he?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
iparralde said:
I do follow the NBA and Tau. BTW Tau are losing right now in Polland in halftime.They must win 2 out of these last 3 games to be in the top 16 in Europe. Come on!!!:devil: :devil: :devil:
It´s not because of you, B2B,but my favourite team are the New York Knicks and they´re on fire again:devil: :devil: :devil: . About Mark Aguirre, I remember him playing for the Mavericks and the Pistons and I heard that he´s an assistant for Wilkens in the Knicks, isn´t he?
The knicks have been playing well again, a big win against the Pacers yesterday.:cool:

Mark Aguire is an assistant coach, hired by Isiah Thomas.

Iparralde, what made you become a Knicks fan? Are you sure it wasn't me?:dielaugh: ;)

Did you hear that the New Jersey Nets are moving to Brooklyn? FRank Gehry designed the building. it looks like the Bilbao Guggenheim.
A building in Brooklyn looks like the Bilbao Guggenheim, I am the orginal Bilbao2brooklyn, not frank gehry!

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BioJedi said:
I have iust heard that they will do a motor urban circuit in Bilbao, but it's only a rumor
Yes, some kind of Monaco style for Formula Nissan, the second most important after Formula 1 and above Formula 3000. Ander Vilariño races there.:cool:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Iparralde, what made you become a Knicks fan? Are you sure it wasn't me?
I´m a Knick fan a lot of time ago, they´re a different team from the others and looks like the relationship between fans and team is closer than in the other ones, more in a "european way". Besides the Madison is a special place.

Did you hear that the New Jersey Nets are moving to Brooklyn? FRank Gehry designed the building. it looks like the Bilbao Guggenheim.
Yes, I heard it. What people in Brooklyn think about it? Are you excited or will remain loyal to the Knicks?

Yes, some kind of Monaco style for Formula Nissan, the second most important after Formula 1 and above Formula 3000. Ander Vilariño races there.
Do you know that Erreala was one of the sponsors of Vilariño´s car last year? His car was spectacular. It had Erreala´s colours!!! It would be funny to see this Erreala car in the streets of Bilbo;) :D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
iparralde said:

Yes, I heard it. What people in Brooklyn think about it? Are you excited or will remain loyal to the Knicks?

Great Question.

I'll try to give an analogy or example for Basque Soccer.

Suppose, You live in Gernika, and you are a Athletic fanatico for your whole life. You have liked them for over 20 years or more. But one day, a very wealthy man decides that in Gernika, there needs to be a team just like Athletic, that will have a beautiful stadium,that plays in the Primera, that has as big as a budget and in every way will be like Athletic, but in your hometown.

What do you do?

Your whole life you have loved Athletic. But your whole life you have loved Gernika also,(To people from Brooklyn, it has a feeling of Spiritual Importance, like Gernika does to Basques).

I don't know, but I think I will stay with the Knicks!

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
309 Posts
About basket, do u know something about Jay Larranaga?, i think he played at Charlotte Hornets, he is now with Caja San Fernando (Seville), he has basque relatives but he plays with the irish nt :eek:, :confused:,next year at ACB :cool: he could be a good signing for Bilbao basket.

·
4,421 Posts
Next week is the Sokatira Mundiala, world tug-of-war chanpionship in Scotland, a friend of mine is going there, she is on a team but won't conpete.

It seems that it will be trouble for the Basque NT specially after the last world games in Japan where the girls whent down the first place of podium because they put the Spanish flag and the anthem. The international federation decided to fire all the Basque teams from that conpetition, and force then to go as Spain NT in the future.

In the world cup they make a a conpetition of clubs and a conpetition of nations. There is not problem to participate as clubs but as now they are forced to go as Spain, the problem is that none want to participate as Spain NT, and if they want to bring clubs they must participate also as nation.

The Basque clubs made a meeting to take a decission, and watching that none wanted to participate as Spain they decided one thing, they are going to go as Spain, to participate with clubs, but to participate as NT they will choose the team members in a random way, so probably the girls, beeing one the best of the world, won't win this time.

For thouse who don't know tug-of-war (sokatira) is one of our rural sports, also played in other parts of the world, there aren't clubs in Spain so we allways whent as Basque NT, but after the troubles of the last years now they force us to go as Spain. Our NT is one of the best in the world, specially girl team. The international federation aims to make this sport olimpic, that's the main reason they are trying to make us go as Spain.

1 - 20 of 525 Posts