Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does it feel chatting with people from the other side of the globe? Sometimes I just can't believe that a guy I'm talking to, in a few minutes later will step out from his house and walk on the streets of Sao Paolo, Tokio, Cape Town...wherever. For me it's so fast...mankind defeated time but I can't get used to it.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
It feels good, it's strange when people of older generations can't really comprehend the stuff we can now do in our own homes.
Older members of my family really can't belive some of the stuff I can do with technology.

what is also good is you can meet really good friends form 1000s of miles away in your own home :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
When I go back to school, I am going to write my dissertation on the speed of information and its impact on immigration into the United States.

In a nutshell, my Step-Mother's fathter was Litvan. He was born in 1911. He totally rejected his Litvan roots. Did not want to speak the language, etc. There was a generation of first generation immigrants that totally rejected their old country roots. Primarily because they had no connection to the old country.

When airplanes came, that started changing. I am an example of how I still had ties to the old country. I visit Hungary regularly and know as much about my family there, as any American knows about theirs here. I still have strong ties to the old country.

Now comes the Internet. Boom...to your point. We are having conversations in a moments notice. I can find out what is happening in Hungary and follow events, as if I am living there.

The thesis is that with the speed of information, the need to assimilate as my Grandfather's generation did, is not longer there. We can maintain a connections to our roots without giving it up.

This is evident with the new crop of immigrants into this country, Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, Russians, Poles (the new Euro immigrants). The Russian community here pulls Russian jokes off the internet, watch Russian TV live, etc. And their English....it just sucks

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Somebody in Budapest saved my life today, I was talking on videophone when somebody crept up behind me but I was warned just in time! :eek: :D

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
:D
yes, although just now my connection fooked up talking to Máté.
I'm on an old modem that can't handle my speed :(

·
Banned
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
goalpdl said:
In a nutshell, my Step-Mother's fathter was Litvan. He was born in 1911. He totally rejected his Litvan roots. Did not want to speak the language, etc. There was a generation of first generation immigrants that totally rejected their old country roots. Primarily because they had no connection to the old country.
Strange! How old was he when he had arrived?

goalpdl said:
When airplanes came, that started changing. I am an example of how I still had ties to the old country. I visit Hungary regularly and know as much about my family there, as any American knows about theirs here. I still have strong ties to the old country.

Now comes the Internet. Boom...to your point. We are having conversations in a moments notice. I can find out what is happening in Hungary and follow events, as if I am living there.
Yes, internet and planes together changed everything. I just spoke to hungaria about this in Fatönksziget. Getting somewhere hundreds of miles away takes only 1-2 hours; also, via internet, you know much much more about the place than those who just visit it without going to any library - this all makes you feel you are just a few minutes away from home...[/QUOTE]

goalpdl said:
And their English....it just sucks
Why, misterrrrrr ? :D

"In a nutshell"...so it's an international phrase!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Máté said:
Strange! How old was he when he had arrived?
He was born here.

Máté said:
"In a nutshell"...so it's an international phrase!
It can be...start saying it yourself, your friends will say it, and so on, and so on. Next thing you know, it is an international phenom.
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts