Xtratime Community banner

OT: TVB Drama Serials

38K views 79 replies 10 participants last post by  B*O*S*H* 
#1 ·
Alright, tame Birdie :)

Why do you want to talk about my avatar? :confused: The last time someone talked about my avatar, she hasn't let go of it and keeps harping on it :rollani: But then again, that one is a known troublemaker :fero:

Anyway, are you coming to the dinner? :)

#27 ·
Which job? XT or real-life?

paw;)

#29 ·
Alright. With a steady pay increment and handsome bonus during bad times, I would say "T'is is good.":)

I suppose Liverbird is a Chinese, from the way he talks about the Chinese shows. Fancy that he knows so well the culture here that I thought he is an Englishman.

So any plans for the weekend?

paw;)

#31 ·
He spends quite a lot of time online these days. Perhaps studying would be my guess.:)

Facial? lol? Why?:D

paw;)

#32 ·
:D Nothing. Skin's not too good. Thought I'd go freshen it up a bit. Besides, it offers eye treatment, so I might as well get rid of my eyerings. This isn't only one facial, though. It's a series of 15. So I blew quite a big amount. :sigh: :cry:

#33 ·
Not bad... Considering that you are not working soon and still spending so much money.:)

That's why the government likes you.:D

paw;)

#35 ·
You are strange... You closed the thread but did not edit out the website's name.

Sport Site

Never do homework, right? :D Must be dunno how to edit a thread.

paw;)

#37 ·
paw:

Why are you talking behind my back? Heh? I shall just keep my identity a secret. :D

Jun Lei:

It's your last day in hell today? :) Good for you. I guess when you don't particularly like a place very much, you don't wanna meet too many superficial people for lunch.

Why do you hate Raymond Lam? He is the next big thing in TVB since he looks very much like Louis. You may say that he is a cheap imitation of Louis, but he is actually quite good in the acting department.

Esther has been in the industry for a very long time already, and that is why she is very established in terms of her acting career. Ada has been around already for a good many years too. Used to have a crush on her during my younger days.

Romance of the Book and Sword? Man. I have NEVER sat down to watch one episode. Swordfighting dramas that are produced these days are very crap. The costumes look more alien than ancient. The storyline has been bastardised so much that it is a complete novel (albeit inferior version) on its own. Even though I am a Jin Yong fan, I do not think that the show interests me enough to sit down properly to watch it.

The Unbeatables III? Nah. I heard that everything is so contrived, including the storyline and the special effects (heavily borrowed from the Matrix). I rather vegetate in front of the computer than subject myself to constant cringes.

Sunny in the Kindred Spirit? I did not see him in there! Was he on? It is a nice family drama that you can sit down to when you have nothing to do or are in low-spirits. It perks you up a bit sometimes. :D

#38 ·
Who is talking about you? :mute: You are the nicest bloke on XT, plus the biggest bully around, so I had better not mess with you.:D

Now that you are continuing to chat about HK shows, leave me out since I have no idea what the frigging stuff you are talking about.:D

paw;)

#39 ·
paw:

Oh come on. Don't play dead ok? All this guessing about whether I am studying or working, Chinese or Indian or Eurasian or Malay. Tsk. Aren't you talking about me?

And please, you know that I am a NICE PERSON at heart. I am very tame actually and only becomes a bully when provoked.

This is a forum lor... we can chat about anything we like, even facials.

#40 ·
Playing dead? Who's doing that? I am not.:D

Well, it is just a guess. Surely you do not expect me not to imagine who I am chatting to on the XT right? I think Jun-Lei is a pretty young lady who likes Oreo cakes. And I was right. I think you are... Well, I am keeping comments to myself.:)

Actually come to think about it, were you ever bullied in the Liverpool forum?:D :D I thought you were the one doing more of the bullying than anyone else.

Facials? I am not interested.

paw;)

#41 ·
paw:

We all know who the big bully is. We REALLY do.

Unlike you, I certainly do not try to imagine people behind those nicks or Avatar. You can look like Michael Jackson for all I care but at the end of the day, it is the content of your posts that matter. Moreover, if we wanna see a member in person, you can always meet them when there are outings and stuff.

#42 ·
Yo Birdie :D

Well, my colleagues are a nice lot, though my boss is rather snobbish & fake :rollani: Or rather, she can't relate and sets herself a level above others. Anyway, the firm booted me out, and the only bad thing is the loss of income. I don't like the nature of the job, so no big loss otherwise.

I like Esther and Ada. Well, I prefer Esther & Bobby, they have more chemistry in the AR series, but Ada & Bobby make a rather interesting match too. Heard they're going to kill off Marco's character in AR4! :( What the heck are they thinking of?!

But I like Ada. I still prefer Jessica, though. And I like Athena Chu and Kenix Kwok. Louisa So is not bad too.

I tell ya, nowadays adaptations of Jin Yong novels are getting from bad to worse. I prefer the older series like those of Felix Wong and Miu Kiu Wai. Did you watch their version of Legend of the Condor Heroes? And the Taiwanese adaptations $uck to the high heavens. One had Little Dragon Girl wearing black!!!! :mad:

I don't know which is worse: our local productions or the Taiwanese ones. :yuck:

As for Kindred Spirit, watch the reruns. Kenix is acting as the older daughter, and Sunny should appear soon. But after that, they'll just disappear and come back only for the last few episodes. Ack.

#43 ·
Who? I have no idea.:)

paw;)

#44 ·
Oh Boy, Unbeatable III is one hell of a sucking show... The special effect look amaterish. Th plot is kinda out of the world... The actors and actress look rather fake and odd on camera... (I think Li Nanxing is one of the better 1 in the show, Yes, I think Xu Qi is the best looking actress).... To compare this wif the HK serials is really miles apart.....

#45 ·
I have seen 15 minutes of the action and I seriously wonder... does anyone seem to like the fakish style the way the show pans out? I mean, if everyone can cheat, then why does one even bother to gamble?:D

paw;)

#46 ·
Jun Lei:

Oh well, bosses:rolleyes:

TVB has killed off a lot of character for drama seials which had sequels. In Healing Hands II, Ada was killed so that Lawrence could develop his romance with Yoyo Mung. In Burning Flame II, they decided to start off with a completely different storyline (which brings to mind why they decided to call it Part II in the first place). Anyway, I just watch it for the storyline and stuff.

Flora is pretty ok as well. Kenix Kwok is becoming thinner by the day. Joyce Tang is alright but I think she has been playing too many supporting roles already.

Annie Heung, Charmaine Sheh and Sonija are the worst of the lot. Especially Charmaine, who has a very irritating voice.

As for swordfighting serials, the ones produced in the 80s are definite classics. Except for a few, those in the 90s were mainly flops due to diluted plots and inappropriate costumes used. Sometimes you even question the wisdom of the people doing the casting. My fav so far is the HSDS '87 starring Tony Leung . Man, I cannot forget that show.

Do not compare our local productions with the Taiwanese ones. Both of them are in a league of their own. :D

Hmm.. I do not recall having seen Sunny anywhere in the Kindred Spirit. Anyway it is ending its run soon and I think those people at Channel U must be sweating.

#48 ·
Birdie :)

Ack, you are so right about drama serials. I recall a few sequels that totally didn't make sense. I only just found out that Burning Flame II wasn't a continuation of BF1. :rollani: I found BF ok, and I liked Louis & Jade Leung there, but I totally couldn't stand Lee San San! :yuck: Why on earth was she a Miss Hong Kong?

I totally agree about Anne Heung, Sonija Kwok & Charmaine Sheh. I hate Sonija, she totally cannot act. Charmaine... well, she is improving a little. I can still take her voice, though I have friends who go ballistic when she speaks in Cantonese. As for Anne... she's so stiff! My friend swears that all Anne did in DIF 4 was to bob her head and have TWO facial expressions. Groan. What is happening to the quality of actors and actresses nowadays? As for Raymond Lam, I can't stand his cheeky look. Makes me want to wallop him hard! :mad:

I didn't watch the HSDS 87 with Tony Leung, but I must agree that it's a classic (from the screen shots, hehe). I have a site link with all the drama adaptations of Jin Yong novels, will send it to you when I get home. I do like the Demi-Gods Semi-Devils 1997, the one with Felix Wong & Jay Lau Kam Leng (also Benny Chan & Fan Siu Wong). And the remakes of the Return & Legend of Condor Heroes were pretty decent. Julian Cheung & Athena Chu make a :cool: couple.

Sunny appears rather early in KS, you have to catch the reruns to see him. He should be coming out soon, I think. KS is not ending anytime soon. It's got another 500+ episodes to go. :groan:

#49 ·
Can we set up a TVB drama serial thread here?

Jun Lei:

Kindred Spirit will be ending its run on 9 Dec 2002. Read it from the papers. In HK, it chalked up 1,200 plus episodes because it was only a fifteen minute show. When TVB sold it to Channel U, Channel U decided to lump some of the episodes together which is why it came to just 500 episodes here. :D

BTW, I am not a big fan of Sunny. I think he cannot act very well.

BFII is pretty ok as well. Wong Hei came up with a very good performance in this one, playing the role of a single father cum firefighter. Jessica Hsuan made a very brief cameo appearance in this one.

I have come to the conclusion that most Miss HKs cannot act. :D Charmaine was a Miss HK. Sonija was a Miss HK. Lee San San was a Miss HK. See the similarities here already?

Annie Heung became very unpopular with the HKers because of her evil character in Love is Beautiful and it will take some time before she can shrug off this public perception since she has been in serials where she plays less-than-flattering female characters.

Raymond Lam has been likened to the more youthful version of Louis. No choice, since both of them look alike (to a certain extent). *shrugs*

Damn! You should have never missed HSDS '87! It was the best of the three adaptations that TVB has produced! If I am not mistaken, it is the one which follows pretty closely to the novel. Too bad they are not selling the VCD anytime soon, because they just released the '79 version.

DGSD '97 was an ok adaptation, but I did not like the fact that TVB put Felix Wong's Hsiao Feng as the main character. I think it destablised the whole show because Duan Yu and Xu Zhu played a very big part in the story as well. LOCH was a decent effort, but ROCH was very poor, even though Louis was in it.

The other one which you did not include was the Wandering Swordsman. It was the best of all swordfighting serials which TVB made in the 90s. It was even better than the 80s production starring Chow Yuen Fatt. (I watched both! :D)

#50 ·
Yay, I successfully split the thread! :D

Birdie, totally agree with the Miss HK thing. It's getting from bad to worse. Anne was a Miss HK too! Awk. I mean, I'm amazed. San San doesn't even look good. She looks dumb at some angles. And Sonija looks flat. As flat as her acting. :rollani: I think I saw pictures of this year's winner. She looks bad. :(

Oh thank god KS is finishing. I simply cannot stand the whole thing. How on earth can people sit through it? Some plots are interesting, but there is only so much a person can take, no? Awk. Anyway, I kinda like Sunny. He looks like a lovable dork. :D His most puzzling performance to date was ATE, though. I simply cannot imagine why he'd suddenly turn from good to bad, in the twinkling of an eye! :eek:

I like Gallen Law, though. What do you think of him? Raymond Lam :rollani: Another one I can't stand is Michelle Yip. :rollani:

Never watched Love is Beautiful, but I saw Anne in a serial with Kong Wah. I don't know why they like pairing Anne with Kong Wah. Do you remember watching an ATV serial called "Silver Tycoon"? It had Felix, Kong Wah, Christine Ng, and Margie Tsang. Now, that's a good actress, I think. I like Margie Tsang. She was in HSDS 87, right? Eck, no, mistake. She was in Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain, with Ray Lui. I like Ray Lui, he's :cool: Solid acting too. And the 84 Duke of Mount Deer (Tony Leung, Andy Lau) was THE definitive version of our dear Wai Siu Bo, :D Those Jordan Chan & Dicky Cheung adaptations :rollani: can't match up.

Oh, but I liked DGSG 97 a lot. I thought Felix was :cool: It's true that Benny & Fan Siu Wong had the meatier characters, but in the novel, Jin Yong also gave quite a bit to Kiu Fung as well. The earlier version with Ken Tong was reputed to be a classic as well, but heard that they twisted the storyline a bit until it became quite odd. They made Kiu Fung like Chong Ling because she resembled Ah Chu?! :eek:

As for Wandering Swordsman... did you see the Ritchie Ren version? :rollani: Pity I never watched the Chow Yun Fatt version, though. Anyone is better than that disgusting Ritchie Ren! :yuck:

#51 · (Edited)
My goodness! Look who is talking about... Hong Kong showbiz?! :D It's still a mystery to me why all of you Singaporeans seem to know MUCH MORE than I do!! :eek:

About Miss Hong Kong, they're getting uglier and uglier in these years. :yuck: I don't know why... most people here said that the prettiest contestant in 2002 was Cerina Da Garca (spellings?! :eek: ), a girl of Chinese and Portuguese parents. I saw her on newspapers and TV sometimes but I think that she isn't all that. What is really funny was that my father once saw her without any cosmetics on TV and screamed that he saw ghost! :dielaugh:

I totally agree with what Liverbird said about Anne Heung Hoi Nam and Charmaine Sheh. No one in my family can stand their voices and will definitely switch to another channel if any one of them is on the screen! Not to mention their acting department...

I think Ms Heung doesn't get unpopular here because of the roles she acts. No one understands why she's even employed by TVB to be an actress! Is she pretty? Definitely a big fat no! Can she act? Another big fat no! I almost puke every time I hear something like "our beautiful and sexy Ex-Miss Hong Kong Heung Hoi Nam..."! I wonder who is her fan here... :rolleyes: And some old rumours said that she slept with Jackie Chan, in a house near my uni!! :eek: But who doesn't want to sleep with Jackie Chan so as to get a role in his films?! :howler:

Sonija Kwok. Hmm, she isn't too ugly but annoying.

Ada Choi and Lawrence Ng are simply the best! :sweeteye:

Anyway, we now have a new serial on TV at 9.30pm with Julian Cheung, Man Chung Han, Kennix Kwok, Bobby Au-Yeung etc. in it... Jun-Lei, interested? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.