Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
I thought you could share me some of your advice since I know some of you have been in Milan already :)

I'm thinking of going there as well, but I don't know exactly when, I think it's in between April-June.

I need to know as much as possible about good-okayish hotels, but I don't need included meals. They shouln't be too expensive (i don't need 5 stars ;) ), but in the middle of the city, so I can reach many sights without much problem.
Also, I have no idea where San Siro is located, or more importantly how to get there (by bus? metro? ...)

Maybe some of you might have an idea for good shopping places/streets :pp?

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Will prob be going there too around that time also. San Siro is situated in west of city. Tram will get you there, on lotto line. Hotels near the Central Station are cheap enough. It's easy walking distance to Doumo, and Milan centre, etc.

Milanello is a different kettle of fish too.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
The main train station in Milan. Centrale Stazione in Italian. Look it up on google.

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
there is this big topic about this stickied just above this ;)

Maybe I go to Milano in spring. I haven't decided on my other trip, but I should have enough resources for both.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you stay near the Central Station I would suggest taking the metro to the city center (Duomo). Spending your time walking in more interesting areas :) Why not go to Castello Sforzesco.

For hotels you could browse http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187849-Milan_Lombardy-Hotels.html for some advice. Good site with reviews and ranking of hotels.

How long do you plan on staying? Lots of beautiful areas nearby, in my opinon a long weekend is enough in Milano :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I'd consider 3-4 days, since I hear from everybody how Milan is not a 'beautiful' city :pp

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
yeah I'd consider 3-4 days, since I hear from everybody how Milan is not a 'beautiful' city :pp
I reckon it would be much nicer in april than in winter when most peeps visit. Also there are many nice places nearby. still 3-4 days I am sure is enough, unless you need 5 more for shopping ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only need 1 day for shopping, but I don't have anything against then occasional windowshopping in between sights :)

I meant that Milan isn't considered a great city to visit for sightseeing.

·
Scudetto
23,385 Posts
Where do you go to see the beautiful "fashionable" Italian people? ;)

If I'm lucky I might be there mid-May.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in Italy in 2006 (in Rome, Naples, Sorrent, Amalfi, Pompeji...)
and didn't find any 'beautiful, fashionable' Italian people :pp
maybe everywhere I went, there were only tourists? :angel:

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
There are several hotels near Centrale Stazione, which are fairly nice and not too expensive. I was there in May 2008, and really enjoyed it.

I think the San Siro is on the Rho line (Lotto being the actual station).

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
There are many cheap hotels near Stazione Centrale, you can make your booking online at www.venere.com

Some budget hotels I've stayed within walking distance from Centrale:
- Hotel Casa Mia (though rates have increased over the past 2 years)
- Hotel Bolzano
- Hotel Serena

Milan is not a city for sightseeing so I reckon a 2 day stay is sufficient.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are many cheap hotels near Stazione Centrale, you can make your booking online at www.venere.com

Some budget hotels I've stayed within walking distance from Centrale:
- Hotel Casa Mia (though rates have increased over the past 2 years)
- Hotel Bolzano
- Hotel Serena

Milan is not a city for sightseeing so I reckon a 2 day stay is sufficient.
thanks. Are these 3 okay, or did you notice something weird?

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
From one of the threads above:

To those looking to buy tickets: as Manuel has said I bought mine online when I saw the last derby during a backpacking trip around Europe. Buying online is a lot of money. Not only that but you cannot choose where you sit (but you'll be amongst Milanisti) so there's a bit of a lottery with it. Despite the high prices if you've never been to the San Siro before to see Milan play I would recommend it if you can afford it. It's cliché to say it, but nothing beats the atmosphere of watching Milan play at the San Siro, and in a derby match, well a whole new level. Also if you buy online choose a reputable site, do a little research beforehand. If you intend on staying at a hotel in Milan you can often get better package deals which makes it easier than buying/booking everything individually.

Luciano's idea of buying a season ticket makes much more sense, because a season ticket is actually cheaper than buying a ticket online.

If any of you guys definitely go ahead and purchase a ticket one way or another I recommend that you stay at the Ostello Piero Rotta if you want to save some money and can do without hotel luxury. It's less than 20 Euro per night, a few mins walk from the QT8 Metro stop, which is the next stop along from Lotto Fiera 2 (which is where you get off to go to San Siro) so it's an ideal location.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts