Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a.k.a the food and drink thread for you to post about favourite take-aways, bars and restaurants :D

i'm starving at the moment so thought this was a good idea :D

first up for discussion.

Whats your favourite curry house?

My top 3 (all in Glasgow):

1. Mother India on Westminster Terrace off Sauchiehall St.. Some cracking food in there and you can bring your own beer or wine which is always a welcome addition because it helps keep costs down a bit
honourable mention to Mother India Cafe and the Wee Curry Shop which is owned by the same guy.

2. Mr Singh's
Elderslie Street off Sauchiehall St. about 200-300 metres from Mother India. Also some cracking food in here, a bit more expensive though. Owner is a huge bluenose and it's a favourite restaurant for Rangers players.

3. Ashoka (Ashton Lane)
The Ashoka is a pretty big chain now but i think this was where it started off and its still pretty good.

There are a few places that i've heard are really good (Shish Mahal, Balbirs and one in the candleriggs whose name i cant remember) but i've never got round to checking them out.

For some reason i don't like indian take-aways that much, i occassionally get a bit of pakora but thats it. Chinese food is better for take-away IMO.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I like the Ashoka in Ashton Lane too.

I've been to Rawalpindi (sp?) a couple of times in Sauchiehall Street, but I don't think i'll be back. It's overpriced and the last time I went I found the food quite bland.

I get more Indian takeaways than go to the restaurants tbh. Shish Mahal is usually where I order from. Very good :thumbsup:

I had a haggis supper last night from the chippie. Yes, I was drunk :D

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Facilities :-

Located just outside the City Centre in the Charing Cross area of Glasgow makes Mister Singh’s an ideal place to eat before a night on the town. The place is arranged well providing more than enough room at the tables.
8/10

Bar :-

No separated bar area, however a good choice of local, international & Indian beers as well as many wines & spirits.

7/10

Food :-

If the foods good the rest pales into insignificance for me and at Mister Singh’s they have it spot on. An excellent choice of starters including the delicious haggis pakora. For the main course you have a selection of traditional Indian dishes such as Korma, Tikka Masala & Tikka Chasni. For the less adventurous the Steak Pie is worth a mention. Desserts range from Blackforest Gateaux to a range of sorbets. Not my favourite course but plenty of choice all the same.

9/10

Service :-
The jewel in the crown of this establishment is the service. All the staff wear kilts and are very friendly. On both occasions I have been there recently the manager on duty has come over and spoke to us and the rest of the diners personally. A nice touch.

10/10

Overall:-

My favourite restaurant in Glasgow. Popular with football players and other locals celebs and also great value for money.

P.S Worth mentioning Mister Singh’s do a 5-course lunch including a taxi to Ibrox for £15.95pp every Rangers home game.

Rating :- 85%

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good review Jonny :thumbsup:

The matchday special sounds pretty good, might try that out one day. Do you need to book it much in advance?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Got to say guys, the Shish Mahal is the best curry house in Glasgow I think. The lamb Bhoona is out of this world.

I'm a waitor across the road from Mother India in the Sisters Resturant above what used to be Air Organic. If anyone wants quality food then you should book up. Food is incredible, but the service is even better. ;)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I do not like Indian food much I like Thai or Chinese better. I think it is the spicies that is used as well as how it is cooked. For Chinese the Ho Wong is good but too expensive for me to eat there :( Unless someone else is paying!! Any offers? :lala: The Thai Fountain is a nice Thai, also expensive but they have a pre-theatre menu which is cheaper so I can afford to go sometimes :thumbsup:

Laddie said:
I'm a waitor across the road from Mother India in the Sisters Resturant above what used to be Air Organic. If anyone wants quality food then you should book up. Food is incredible, but the service is even better. ;)

I been to the other place they have next to Jordanhill train station (Wikipedia's 1 millionth entry!!!) a couple of times and I like it :thumbsup: I will try their new one too one day. Is it the same type of food?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
annax said:
I do not like Indian food much I like Thai or Chinese better. I think it is the spicies that is used as well as how it is cooked. For Chinese the Ho Wong is good but too expensive for me to eat there :( Unless someone else is paying!! Any offers? :lala:

Depends what would you would be offering in return - A hug for some egg fried rice? A kiss for a spring roll? A blow job for a banana fritter? :D

mmmm banana fritter...

·
Registered
461 Posts
annax said:
I been to the other place they have next to Jordanhill train station (Wikipedia's 1 millionth entry!!!) a couple of times and I like it :thumbsup: I will try their new one too one day. Is it the same type of food?
Yeah it is. I worked at the the Jordanhill place for a year, until I asked for a transfer. Same menu, just FAAAAAAAR nice in Kelvingrove. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ive got a restaurant across the road from me,Salsa,South American cuisine at its finest.I actually went to school with the head chef,he was puzzled when I asked him which part of South America that Govan was in???

·
Registered
897 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
Depends what would you would be offering in return - A hug for some egg fried rice? A kiss for a spring roll? A blow job for a banana fritter? :D
It sound like you know this well - Is that your going rate when boys take you out on a date? :finger:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Laddie said:
Yeah it is. I worked at the the Jordanhill place for a year, until I asked for a transfer. Same menu, just FAAAAAAAR nice in Kelvingrove. :thumbsup:
It was reviewed in the Herald yesterday and got a really good one :)

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
good review Jonny :thumbsup:

The matchday special sounds pretty good, might try that out one day. Do you need to book it much in advance?
Sorry it took me so long to answer. I've been on the floor for the last 8 days dreaming of banana fritters! :howler:

Few days should do it for booking. Fancy it for an XT Title Party? February sometime. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts