Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ok! I know this is off the record here and its nothing to do with soccer, but can someone please tell me the main significance that there is to a Turkish mustache. I know it symbolizes things and its an age old thing too!

But what does a Mustache mean in Turkey? I know for me, i don't have a mustache and if i did, i would look like you guys a little, but on any case, does it mean manly hood....if i had a long mustache does it mean im powerful?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Lemme guess Yoav, you saw some guys in a Kemal Sunal film, right?;) :D

I suppose some guys see it as a sign of masculinity or strength or whatever, but I don't know many guys with the mustache, honestly:D

I think it looks pretty bad, actually, i will never try to grow a mustache:tongue:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really, didn't see that film, but what i ment was it culturally known....

because in in India, people keep there hair, not that it means that if the longer the better, but they can't cut it off, and in Pakistan they have beards but no mustache.....

So i kinda wanna know what head/facial appearance have to do with culture.

And i thought Mustache have something to do with the ottoman empire, if you look a picures of Europeans from Germany, Italy, Greece, France and England from 1880s and beyond, they have one way of mustache design and the turkish have there own?

Is having a longer mustache a sign of manhood, nationality and strengh?

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I think out of all the turks I know including my own family only 2 have mustaches and they are both old. I dont think mustaches are common among young turks.

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I am not expert, but I can say that it was a common practice to have a mustache about may be 100 years ago. Most of the people had mustaches.

Now, there are still a lot of Turkish men with mustaches, if you go to a remote village you'll see that men with mustache is a lot more common;)

IMO, it's symbolizes the maturity and wisdom more than manhood;)

Young kids especially in villages want to have one, to look like their elders (not that there is anything wrong with it;)

In cities the story is different, most of the men prefer not to have one.

For the younger generation in cities, it's out of fashion:tongue:

I personally never had a mustache, it doesn't fit me.

But, I like goaty.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I have a mini-goatie right now, but it is not because I am trying to grow one. It is because I am too lazy to go and find my razor and shave more then once a week:eek: :tongue:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts