1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liedson leads Sporting revival
Wednesday, 16 February 2005
By Rui Matos Pereira at the José de Alvalade

Sporting Clube de Portugal recovered from conceding an early goal to take a 2-1 advantage into the second leg of their UEFA Cup Round of 32 tie with Feyenoord.

Sporting fightback
After going behind to a goal from Bart Goor on eleven minutes, Sporting fought back thanks to efforts from midfield player Custódio and Liedson to gain the upper hand at the José de Alvalade stadium - and they held on despite Custódio's second-half dismissal.

Goor stunner
Sporting started well, with on-loan midfield player Hugo Viana hitting a first-time, right-foot shot against Patrick Lodewijks’ crossbar, but with eleven minutes on the clock it was Feyenoord who took the lead. Right-back Gianni Zuiverloon hit a low shot, which was cleared into the path of Goor, who curled a shot from eleven metres past Portuguese international goalkeeper Ricardo.

Sporting level
Sporting, who struggled to settle after their opponent’s early goal, gradually worked their way back into the game with quick passing moves between their most creative and technically gifted players and it was with one of those moves that José Peseiro’s side levelled the match. With 22 minutes played, Viana skipped past Goor before crossing for Custódio, who fired in unmarked from nine metres.

Home pressure
Sporting pressed forward looking for another goal and, on 32 minutes, Custódio shot from just outside the box forcing Lodewijks to palm around the post. The pressure brought a second goal four minutes later, though, as Ricardo Sá Pinto supplied a pinpoint cross to an unmarked Liedson, who rose higher than Zuiverloon to head past Lodewijks.

Kalou change
During the break Feyenoord coach Ruud Gullit introduced Salomon Kalou to try to improve his side’s attacking options. However, Feyenoord’s best effort on goal in the second half came in the 59th minute, courtesy of Goor, but the Belgian’s shot from distance was excellently saved by Ricardo.

Lodewijks saves
Just five minutes earlier, Sporting had forced Lodewijks into two consecutive saves from a 30-metre Fabio Rochemback free-kick and a Sá Pinto effort which the Feyenoord keeper magnificently saved stretching to his left.

Custódio off
With 26 minutes to go Sporting were reduced to ten men after Custódio was sent off for a second bookable offence - pulling Dirk Kuijt when the Dutch striker was through on goal. But even with that disadvantage, it was Sporting who threatened most, Viana sending a 35-metre free-kick narrowly wide.

Last chance
Feyenoord increased the pressure on the Sporting defence in the dying moments and, after a Kuijt shot had been deflected for a corner by João Moutinho, Kalou beat the offside trap only to head into Ricardo’s hands.

Coach dismissed
With just five minutes to play, Sporting suffered another set-back when coach Peseiro was banished from the technical area after an altercation with the assistant referee. But on the pitch his side held on thanks to Ricardo, who kept out Kuijt's late, close-range header with his knees.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sporting's Peseiro picks up touchline ban
Monday, 21 February 2005

Sporting Clube de Portugal coach José Peseiro has been banned from the touchline for one UEFA club competition match after being banished from the technical area in his team's UEFA Cup Round of 32 first-leg tie with Feyenoord last week.

Return leg ban
UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body announced the verdict on Monday after studying the case, which arose when Peseiro was dismissed in the closing stages of the game at the Estádio José Alvalade in Lisbon, which Sporting won 2-1. The ban will apply to the return leg in the Netherlands on 24 February.

Referee criticism
The UEFA disciplinary body heard from official match reports that Peseiro had left the technical area on several occasions during the first half to criticise the referee's decisions, and was involved in an incident in which he shouted at one of the assistant referees - with referee Stefan Messner eventually banishing him from the touchline.

Banned from tunnel
UEFA ruled that for the return leg for which he is suspended, Peseiro will be able to watch the game from the stands. However, he will not be allowed in the dressing rooms, the technical zone and the tunnel, or on the bench or the pitch before and during the match.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Way to go, Holland!

Their fans sent projectiles hurling at Sporting's team when they beat the keeper for the first time through a chip by Liedson.

Pitiful, game had to be stopped for around 8 minutes while the physicians attended to Rui Jorge who was hit by one of them.

Extremely pathetic of the Dutch at the stadium.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Sporting won 2-1, 4-2 on aggregate.

Great games of football in both legs, overshadowed by the stupidity of a select few at the Rotterdam, in fact they may have well been the only Feyenoord fans there, I never heard a peep out of the Dutch.

·
Registered
58,950 Posts
BeiraMarense said:
Way to go, Holland!

Their fans sent projectiles hurling at Sporting's team when they beat the keeper for the first time through a chip by Liedson.

Pitiful, game had to be stopped for around 8 minutes while the physicians attended to Rui Jorge who was hit by one of them.

Extremely pathetic of the Dutch at the stadium.
what's this "the Dutch"? :rollani:

luckily you corrected yourself in your second post, but please word yourself better in the future before branding a whole nation to a minority of completely braindead numbsculls every half decent Feyenoord fan is ashamed to be associated with.

But all in all a very poor night for us. Both footballing where Sporting clearly technically and man for man too were the better side and also off the pitch thanks to these stupid people. As you see I don't even call them fans. They are embarassments.

Liedson as usual was dangerous when the chance came but Moutinho impressed me coming in for the suspended Custodio and looked so assured at such a young age.

Also a better night for Ricardo , but when did he decide to become all so excentric and mad? when he played for Boavista, he wasn't like this at all.

Anyways congrats on the win :) and if you play the same good football you will go far.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sporting's final fantasy alive
Thursday, 24 February 2005

Sporting Clube de Portugal are through to the last 16 of the UEFA Cup and a showdown with competition debutants Middlesbrough FC after a deserved win in Rotterdam matched their first-leg triumph against Feyenoord.

Cagey start
A cagey start saw neither team establish any real dominance and it was not until the eleventh minute when the first opportunity arose. Rogerio found himself with time and space inside the Feyenoord half of the pitch, and his delightful through ball for Sá Pinto breached the offside trap. However, he shot straight at goalkeeper Patrick Lodewijks with the goal beckoning.

Kuijt chance
Feyenoord's main hope of finding the net lay at the feet and head of top scorer Dirk Kuijt, and the prolific striker nearly gave the hosts a 16th-minute lead. The 24-year-old ran onto a long ball, shrugging off defender Hugo in the process, only for Sporting goalkeeper Ricardo to dive bravely at his feet and deflect the ball away.

Kalou miss
Patrick Paauwe began taking more of an influence in the Feyenoord midfield and he created the next opportunity for the home side on the half-hour mark. His raking long ball was perfect for Salomon Kalou, but the Ivory Coast striker shot over the bar whilst under pressure.

Sporting breakaway
With the score deadlocked at half-time, Feyenoord knew they would have to come out with more attacking belief in the second-half, but as they pressed forward they were hit by a Sporting breakaway goal.

Liedson chip
Liedson broke clear from the halfway line with the Feyenoord defence appealing for offside. As Patrick Lodewijks came out to narrow the angle, the Brazilian forward expertly chipped a superb goal over the onrushing keeper to increase Sporting's advantage.

Play suspended
A break in play followed, after the referee led both teams off after what appeared to be some objects thrown from the crowd onto the pitch, and on their return Sporting continued to catch Feyenoord on the break.

Superb free-kick
The decisive second goal came with just six minutes remaining when Brazilian playmaker Fabio Rochemback thumped home a sensational free-kick from over 30-metres out, giving Lodewijks no chance.

Hofs consolation
That goal meant Feyenoord would need to score four times to go through and that was never likely to happen. However, the home fans did get something to cheer with two minutes left on the clock when Nicky Hofs scored from a tight after a neat lay-off from Kuijt.

Sporting through
The goal was only a consolation though, and it is Sporting who go through to the last 16, where Middlesbrough, who eliminated Grazer AK tonight, are the latest obstacle to the Lisbon club's dreams of playing in the final at their own Estádio José Alvalade.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sporting played really well tonight I think, their only problem is that they're so irregular...
As for Feyenoord, I hope they sort it out in the coming years, because quite frankly, I was kind of disappointed for the great Rotterdam club to be in this situation: this team looks to weak for Feyenoord's traditions.

·
Administrator
24,773 Posts
congratulations to sporting, its a great result, and tbh i wasnt so sure they would make it, muito bem:)

·
Registered
58,950 Posts
tbh = to be honest. those internet abbreviations :rollani: :D

MCdread said:
Sporting played really well tonight I think, their only problem is that they're so irregular...
As for Feyenoord, I hope they sort it out in the coming years, because quite frankly, I was kind of disappointed for the great Rotterdam club to be in this situation: this team looks to weak for Feyenoord's traditions.
agree, not only techically were we inferior but our positional play and organization was poor and even for less technical sides, it's something sides can get to learn and be sucessful with as we saw with Greece and almost esvery single German side down the years :)groan: :D). We lacked that and at stages looked like a school-team.

But the main problem for Feyenoord is that the good talents they've had, they've sold to foreign clubs for almost nothing or worse still not even given a chance to some. Home grown talents like van Persie who as we all can see now at Arsenal is very talented we benched and just let go for peanuts and in return we constantly get second rate foreigners. All in all a poor purchasing policy and scouting policy from the clubs top but I won't get started on that as I can write pages and pages about it :groan: :D

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Wally said:
what's this "the Dutch"? :rollani:

luckily you corrected yourself in your second post, but please word yourself better in the future before branding a whole nation to a minority of completely braindead numbsculls every half decent Feyenoord fan is ashamed to be associated with.

But all in all a very poor night for us. Both footballing where Sporting clearly technically and man for man too were the better side and also off the pitch thanks to these stupid people. As you see I don't even call them fans. They are embarassments.

Liedson as usual was dangerous when the chance came but Moutinho impressed me coming in for the suspended Custodio and looked so assured at such a young age.

Also a better night for Ricardo , but when did he decide to become all so excentric and mad? when he played for Boavista, he wasn't like this at all.

Anyways congrats on the win :) and if you play the same good football you will go far.
I'm pretty sure they weren't Spanish or Italian? I could always be mistaken...

Just spurious anger, that's all.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UEFA Cup round of sixteen draw

NYON, Feb 24 (SW) - Draw for the UEFA Cup 2004-05 round of sixteen, as held on Friday, December 17th at the governing body's headquarters in Switzerland.

Middlesbrough - Sporting Lisbon
Sevilla - Parma FC
Steaua Bucharest - Villarreal
Lille - AJ Auxerre
Olympiacos - Newcastle United
Shakhtar Donetsk - AZ Alkmaar
Partizan Belgrado - CSKA Moscow
Athletic de Bilbao or Austria Vienna - Zaragoza

First legs to be played on March 10th, second legs scheduled for March 16th and 17th.

copyright © Jonathan Roorda

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Arsenal chase Portuguese international keeper Ricardo: report

Fri Mar 4, 2:17 PM ET

LISBON (AFP) - English giants Arsenal have reportedly made an offer to Sporting Lisbon to hire their international goalkeeper Ricardo Pereira at the end of the current season.

According to the private Portuguese radio TSF radio, Sporting have already begun looking for a replacement for 29-year-old Ricardo, who scored the winning penalty in Portugal's 6-5 shoot-out win over England during the quarter-finals of Euro 2004, the station said.

Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger is reportedly unhappy with keeper Jens Lehman, who is likely to leave in the next year, it added.

Portugal boss Luis Felipe Scolari, who coached his native Brazil to victory in the last World Cup, picked Ricardo as the national team's first keeper, edging out veteran Vitor Baia of FC Porto, when he took over the Portuguese side in early 2003.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Sporting Lisbon midfield ace Hugo Viana is determined to prove Newcastle United judges are wrong to write him off as a flop.
Viana has been outstanding on-loan at Sporting this season and ahead of tonight's UEFA Cup clash with Middlesbrough, said: "I am really looking forward to playing again in England.

"And I am determined to prove to the fans in the North-East what I can do and that I am a good player.

"Middlesbrough are a very good team but it would mean an awful lot to me if I could help us beat them.

"I tried my best to make it at Newcastle but I think everyone would agree my game is not suited for English football.

"I know it, the Newcastle fans know it - and I think manager Graeme Souness should know it as well.

"Now I am back in Portugal I feel far more comfortable and I am enjoying my football again. I am playing every week and scoring goals.

"I made the most of my time at Newcastle but I think most people would agree it is better for everyone if I move on.

"I've spoken to Sporting and they will do everything in their power to keep me.

"I never asked for that £8.5m price tag but maybe my value as a player to Newcastle has changed now."

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.