Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Can you Londoners please direct me to any sites with job listings that an American like myself can apply to?

And by job listings, I mean entry-level jobs in finance/consulting/banking or anything relating to the sort. Thanks.

In London of course. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Sounds interesting. I seriously hope my future career resides in another country, especially Italy, Spain, or perhaps even Venezuela. London would also be a great option.

I hope there are quite a few opportunities for you, Pulsar.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the words, Andy...however, my desire for an overseas job is not based fully on an interest in the foreign world......I need to expand my search, as I'm largely successful at about 5 and a half months thru my 8 month job search period. I got 2.5 months left, and I need to find something...the ones I have gotten so far have been so so....

My first priority is in security analysis, and trading...

Then comes investment banking (traditional) and consulting

Ohh yeah hedge funds are at the top of my list

I did an internship at a hedge fund this past summer.... So that is a plus...but lack of entry-level jobs in the industry for beginners out of college

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
pulsar, u want to go to london to work?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Interesting Pulsar. So I assume you are currently majoring in Finance? I still have to declare my major and right now it will probably be the joint scientific and administrative major of Energy, Business, and Finance.

Seeing that there are indeed a lot of finance majors across the United States...you haven't had any trouble finding job possibilities at all?

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I came in as a pre-med so I have a Biology major which I finished up. I also am doing a major in Economics, and a minor in Finance (surprisingly only a minor is offered for finance)

I got mostly rejected at all the big banks (Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Wachovia) but did well in my Banc of America interview (sales and trading, MBS/ABS) and despite a great final round interview IMO, didn't get a job.

After that, I mostly have been getting small sales job offers and offers from boutique banks, which I don't want. My permanent home is in the NYC area, and I figure I might as well just be unemployed for a while and look for a job after college than take on in the middle of the boonies in South Carolina or Tennessee at a boutique, not getting much pay.

So now I'm expanding my horizons, b/c I feel that perhaps Europe might be the lucky charm for me....

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Well I wish the best of luck to you, Pulsar. Keep in touch.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, same to you.

So my question -

I know Barclay's has a huge position in the English markets.....

And besides the global presence, Deutsche Bank, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, JPMorganChase, Goldman Sachs, Merrill......what are the top English-exclusive banks/IBs/trading firms?

More importantly, what are the top firms on the Street? Or in other words, on the LSE? The ones who control the marekt making for many stocks/firms....

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Good Luck Puls. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Good luck Pulsar, though you'll need several years of relevant experience before you'd be accepted for a job in analysis or consulting in some of the biggest financial institution.

Hedge funds and short houses in general performed badly in 2005, so it may not be an appropriate time for you to consider starting your career in this industry. My advice is to start with a smaller firm, have at least 2 to 3 years experience before jumping ship to a more prestigious company.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, ilgenio.

There ar emany people living it up in London- anyone have a few sites?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Goodluck Pulsar. In a few years I will be doing the same looking for a job in europe. Mainly for financial and security reasons.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Al Capone said:
Thanks for the advice, ilgenio.

There ar emany people living it up in London- anyone have a few sites?

Good luck with everything Pulsar

Maybe try real estate and move to southern california

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I hear, the real estate bubble will soon burst. Nonetheless, thanks for the information and good lucks, but what I really need are some sites.....:(

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No one can help me?

I tried GOogle but I find nothing good

1 - 15 of 15 Posts