Xtratime Community banner

361 - 365 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
I was in Knin during the entirety of the Olympics but luckily my parents have retired there 6 months of the year and have got themselves Total TV so I was able to watch most of it, lots of late nights but definitely worth it.

Absolutely fantastic Olympics for us and we'll probably never be near the top of the medal table but then again the interest for obscure individual sports doesn't really exist and the government doesn't exactly have the funds to provide those athletes with the facilities they need to maximise their talents.

To send 4 teams in 3 different sports and come away with 4 medals was a fantastic achievement. To win a medal in track and field for the first time in 60 years was amazing (Shame for Ivana's fault jump where she was 1cm over because that looked huge), our first medal in wrestling in 30 years (apparently there's lots of kids taking this up?) and our first basketball medals in 20 years. To top it all off our Water Polo team with their gold medal and the volleyball girls...that last point vs USA gives me goosebumps everytime.

About the men's basketball team...it definitely felt very much like the World Cup...2-3 record, finishing 4th, a spirited performance against the favourites...I was confident once I saw our route that we could make the final. The first game against the Aussies, we lost on attitude and a slightly strange line up in the closing minutes of the game.

It was a fantastic achievement to make the final however, I did not believe it once the news came out about Beli but seeing how they performed in the groups, kind of playing in second gear and then that group performance vs the Americans when the referees really had to help them out in the closing quarter showed me that we had nothing to fear.

We should have beaten the Croats more easily but it's never going to be a blow out when we play them and then the game against Australia...we did what we had to do...match their intensity and physical/bordering on dirty play and we'd be okay.

Raduljica really surprised me, he played very well. Teo established himself as a genius, Bogdanovic disappointed but for his showdown with Bojan. Markovic does what he always does for the NT (I really hope he doesn't retire) and Jokic is a player who we'll hopefully rely on going forward.

I think I'd start having some serious questions about Nedovic and I think it's time for Guduric and Zagorac to get into the 12 providing they continue to develop this season. With Bjelica and Bobi hopefully there next season then I think we're top 3 favourites for the gold, if not the favourites. What I'd just like to see is an easier group than last time so we don't have to hit the ground running. There's definitely no one to fear in Europe and I like the fact that Sale learned from last year's semi final vs Lithuania where they very much beat us in the same way that Australia did in the group stages.

·
Registered
27,238 Posts
I was just in Sombor a few weeks ago. Didn't know he was from there. Sombor produces quite a few notable athletes.

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
I was there this summer too Serb, really nice city. Seems like they actually try and take care of it unlike many places in Serbia.

·
puzz!eshock
1,814 Posts
another success in rio for our paralympians. from a total of 16 athletes competing we
managed to bag 9 medals (3 gold, 2 silver and 4 bronze) including a world record by
zeljko dimitrijevic in mens club throw. he threw 29.96m adding nearly 3m to his own
world best, which he set in his first throw. god bless em all got to be proud on a great
achievement :proud:

361 - 365 of 365 Posts