Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So these aren't too far away now starting on 5th August and for us in Europe it means staying up late for the first time since the Atlanta Olympics.

We'll no doubt be looking to improve on the 4 medals we won at the last Olympics, which is incidentally the most we've won since the break up.

Undoubtedly our strongest hopes of gold lie with Nole & our Water Polo team who must feel like it's their time to finally win that gold medal but I imagine that other medal hopes will include both basketball teams, our female volleyball team, Ivana Spanovic, Milica Mandic and our shooters who traditionally have strong performances.

We currently have 105 athletes competing in 14 sports but I'm not sure whether there will be more to add before the Games begin. This is actually a reduction on London.

Sadly it's the fist time since the break up that our men's volleyball team have failed to qualify.

No word on who will be flag bearer as Nole has said that someone else should get a chance to do it. Teo, Milica Mandic & Ivana Spanovic have all been mentioned.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it.

Latest article I found suggests he's doubtful but can't see anything confirming whether he'll be competing or not.

He's not on the official list and I'm not sure what the deadline is.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have much time for Moka to be honest. He calls Kalinic a new player in the NT ffs!

Bobi only has to apologise to Sale for letting him know the situation too late. Don't think too many people would risk injury for €21m.

Simply an agreement should have been reached. Gorbet has been called up for France and was I'm the same situation.

Our chances don't fall away with Bobi not there but not sure why we'd weaken ourselves for no good reason.

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
At Eurobasket we got bullied by Valanciunas and Lithuania. Big guys with his talent will just dominate vs Raduljica on the boards and offensive end. Jokic is a better defender but hes also young and hasn't filled out his body so he too would be pushed around by guys like Valanciunas. Bobi is the one centre that we have who can be a wall in the paint and put up a good fight. That's why we desperately need him IMO. Our lack of paint protection will be our downfall.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Line has been drawn under this.

Think it's time to just forget about it and get behind the team. Whether it's the right decision or not will be known in about 5 weeks from now.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
IMO this is absolutely the right decision. It sends a message out to anyone who isn't ready to give his full 100% for the NT which, unlike our football NT, is an institution with a proud tradition to uphold. Some short term success can never weigh up to the long term benefits that Sale is creating with this move.

Besides, he told Boban to be ready to fight for his spot next year, so he's not writing him off completely.

But I agree, time to get behind the team!

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
Bjelica's agent reporting he's not recovered from his injury and won't be going to Rio. Huge blow if confirmed! :grinch:

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goodbye medal chances.

According to the camp before he was expected to get the all clear so what's happened? Minnesota and Thibs being cvnts?

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll hope Macvan is okay to go and that's it. If not then we go with the team we played with in the Qualifiers.

What's the point of our players going to the NBA if they're going to have these bullshit problems every summer when it comes to playing?

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
Bircevic looked solid in the qualifiers but the Olympics are a whole different story, we are f**ked without Bjelica.

Jokic can play PF so that's a positive but that means Raduljica is our only option at C which is not a good thing. Hopefully Macvan recovers.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Macvan has apparently started training.

Ivana Maksimovic, silver medalist in London, will carry the flag at the opening ceremony. Feel like Milica Mandic should be the one if she's available given that she's the one that won gold in London.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
Yeah, Mandic or Spanovic based on her recent performances. I mean, shooting is nice and all that, but I don't even consider it a real sport tbh.

Good to hear about Macvan. :thumbsup (1):

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
25-22 lead after one quarter Vs France.

Were down 11 at the start, but came back well through the Teo-Jokic connection and Bogdan's sharp shooting. Looking like a proper team, just a shame we don't have that added weapon in Beli.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
50-44 lead at HT

Some of the team play we're showing is nothing short of amazing. You can see that certain players have gained fitness, while others have improved their form and Djordjevic's mark on the team is very clear.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
82-68 after 3 quarters of play.

What to say about these guys? Just hope they don't peak too soon like last year, but from what I can tell we still have a gear or two left.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
Final result: 105-88 :eek:

Beat France 3 times during this preparation period now, out of 3 games. No coincidence anymore, especially after this rape. FT's were excellent, Macvan seems to have adapted quickly and will bring a lot to the side and Teo, Bogdan and Jokic are clearly our key players with an extremely well functioning machine of a side to support them. With Beli there, I'd be convinced we'd make the final, now I'm a 70% certaintly. :D

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
Teo injured in the loss to Argentina. hopefully it's nothing serious.

Realistically I don't think we have the depth or defence to medal but I really hope I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 365 Posts