Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well have a thread for this since there's enough of us who watch hockey.

How bout those Habs with koivu getting the winner in an inspirational comeback against the hated Boston Bruins!! MTL will take that series and Theodore hasn't even played at his best yet.

Leafs are now 2-2 with the Isle which is disappointing. I still can't see the Isle winning in TO, it's just not gonna happen.

Vancouver really slipped up against Detroit. The Red Wings are a powerhouse and VCR had them on the ropes but Stevie Y got the Wings back into it. I'm going for VCR but much respect to Yzerman, he's coming through when needed.

Ottawa and Lalime with the 3rd straight shutout against the broadstreet bullies. Good riddance Philly, one more game and you're done!!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ivo...as I mentioned...I was at the Colisium again tonight...and I think that the Isles have demoralized the Leafs. But, its 2 out of 3 now with TO having 2 home games so we'll see. But, there was a point in the season where the Isles had a better road record than home record. The Isles are a very good road team, and they could have won either of the first two games at the ACC.

Carolina went up 3 games to 2 on the Devils with a dramatic OT win. But, I think the Devs will take this series.

Montreal....they are playing great hockey. Its great to see Saku get back.

How about Ottawa..are the Flyers that bad or is Ottawa playing that good???

Vancouver I think blew their chance...Detroit will win the series now...

All in all the playoffs have been fun to watch this year. Especially my Islanders....:D

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Courtesy of www.nhl.com

Roy grabs series spotlight
By Phil Coffey | NHL.com
Apr. 24, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After allowing nine goals in the first three games of the series, some questions surfaced about Colorado’s Patrick Roy. Like "What’s the matter with him?"
Coming off the best regular season of his Hall of Fame career, Roy looked fairly human with a 3.00 goals-against average in leading the Avs to a 2-1 series lead.

Tuesday night, the "old" Roy returned with a vengeance, making 32 saves in a 1-0 win that put Colorado on the cusp of a first-round victory.

The 20th postseason shutout of Roy’s brilliant career was a thing of beauty for the Avs and Roy said he raised the level of his game by blocking out all the talk.

"[Tuesday] my objective was not thinking, just follow the play and not allow myself to go through some negative stuff," Roy told Jim Benton of the Denver Rocky Mountain News."I just tried to be patient and be square. I just tried to be focused. I felt like the first three games I had negative things going through my mind. That's human nature, I guess. I tried to eliminate that and think positive. I was not thinking about how should I play this situation or if by butterfly is not perfectly square on the ice. I said, 'Let's play the game and enjoy.'

Mission accomplished, although the 18,700 at the Staples Center weren’t terribly thrilled with it.

"We all played very well," Roy said. "Our defensemen had better sticks and we played better in our own zone, and the line [Jason Allison's line] that had scored seven of their nine goals was shut down. Our defensemen deserve a lot of credit."

But pass the majority of the praise to Roy.

Kings now desperate For the Los Angeles Kings, things have gotten desperate. Down to the defending Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche, 3-1, in the first-round series, the Kings now face the truly daunting task of staying alive with a road win at the Pepsi Center on Thursday night, just to stay alive.

"We played hard, we got all kinds of chances, but Patty played a great game," said King defenseman Aaron Miller, a former teammate of Patrick Roy, told Jerry Crowe of the Los Angeles Times. "When he's like that, he's real tough. We just weren't going to get one by him." "People will talk about this being a defensive game and there were a lot of physical confrontations," Kings coach Andy Murray said, "but both goalies were outstanding. We had a lot more chances than they did, but we couldn't beat Patrick."

Murray said the problem for the Kings Tuesday night was a lack of Kings players crashing the net and making it tough for Roy to be … well, Roy.

"Every one of the goals we've scored," Murray said, "the number of bodies we've had around the net has been high. Most goals, you'll see two or three King jerseys right around Patrick. We talked before the series about making his goal a magnet for the puck and for bodies. If the puck gets there and we get bodies there and we get a crowd there, there isn't a goalie in the world that can stop the puck if he can't see it. If you let Patrick see the puck, you're never going to score on him."

--------------------------

It's good to see Roy with a shutout after 3 un-Roy like performances. I don't want Colorado to win it, at least it depends on who they play on their way there but I love Roy, best keeper ever to grace the ice and he was fantastic last year.

If he's on form Colorado will probably win it and having Forsberg back in the line up doesn't hurt. Forsberg and Sakic are just phenomenal players and the whole team is a powerhouse overall.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously I'm not going for the Isle but it's nice to see them in the playoffs again. I vaguely remember their glory days and they really went through a rut for a while.

Cujo played great the first two games which was a surprise on account of just coming back.

He needs to get his game in gear for the next game.....Toronto are the favourite in the series and I think they'll win, but the Isle have proven to be a good opponent.

Watching games live is so much better, don't you think?

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Just slightly off topic but what would happen if Foresberg played in the Olympics??? Sweden would difinitly not have lost to Belorus thats for sure...

Back on topic...it will be tough to beat the Avs.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Sweden was a powerhouse team as it was, just a bad game against Belarus and with Forsberg would've been even better.

That being said, Canada would still win it, we just had opening game jitters against Sweden and nothing more;)

Keneda iz da namber van in da vrld:strong:

:tongue:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Holy cow that Leafs game was nuts. What a way to win, I couldnt believe the Islanders win on a penalty shot. All round awesome game.

Jure your right, I think Vancouver are almost gone.

Just to keep this Croatian. You guys must know that legends Peter and Frank Mahovlich are Croatian and Joe Sakic (who my parents are friends with his parents) is also Croatian. His dad is from Imotski and his mom is from Lika.

I hope the Canucks could beat the Wings tommorrow but It'll be tough.

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
the NH-what?

man, I don't recognise my own forum anymore :(

you yanks :tongue:

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yanks?:wth:

Don't let Jure fool you, this is a Canadian thing;) Sorry Jure:tongue:

Tonight, the Canadiens host the Bruins and try to go up 3-1 in the series. I think they can pull it off but Theodore needs to do what he did in the regular season. If he's on form, forget about anything for Boston.

The Wings host the Canucks, neither team has won at home in this series but Detroit has the momentum and Hasek has started playing better. Yzerman is leading the Wings right now and I think Detroit will win the game tonight.

The Avs will play host to the Kings tonight and will probably win the series as will the Blues when they play Chicago.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Yeah..I have to give credit where credit is due....its a Canadian thing...you guys have to understand that ice hockey in Canada is pretty much a religion while here in the US its more of a regional thing.

Ivo, you're right, nothing beats going to a playoff game live...its been so long for the Isles that I don't even remember what it feels like....:D

Van Cro...cool that you know Super Joe. I hear that his dad is a great guy out Vancouver way. And Frank and Pete who??? Just joking, those guys were great players. I have a book that I bought up in Canada a few years back about their lives.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It's strange because all family members and family friends thought Joe's younger brother Brian was going to crack the NHL before Joe would but that is sports. I believe Brian had more of the raw talent and Joe had the fire in him, and the fact he got drafted by Quebec when they were the worst team in the league helped because he got to play right away while Brian got lost in the Capitals then later Rangers farm system.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Van Cro..half the league got lost in the Rangers farm system...rather than develope their own players they try to buy super star after superstar....thats the Rangers....

Think about all the ex-Rangers out there in the playoffs and you can make a whole team..

Cloutier....Weight.....Karpotsev....Kim Johnsson....Tony Amonte...Todd Harvey...Adam Graves....and there are about 10 others....but that's the Rangers for ya....

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not only did they trade a lot of players but they really underachieved. They should've made the playoffs for sure.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Well, the Devils series is still not over. I still think that until they lose, they are the team to beat in the East.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah that was nasty by McLaren, he's a garant to be suspended for the rest of the playoffs and hopefully for some games at the beginning of next season.

MTL coach Therrien was furious, absolutely furious in the press conference and even said they'd hit back at the Bruin top players. I hope it doesn't come to that but it's gonna be a rough game on Saturday.

St. Louis knocked out Chicago today, if anybody actually cares about that series:D

LA stayed alive with an OT win and Detroit hammered VCR to take a 3-2 lead in that series. The series started so well for VCR and it's gone completely downhill ever since. You never know though, they might still pull it off.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Nothing wrong with a hard hitting game but that was a cheap shop. He lined up Zednik the second he crossed the blue line to take that shot at him. This is just as bad as Domi on Neidemyer last year. He will get suspended. The stupid thing about all this is that Ftorek should know better. Montreal will go after their big boys now...this series will get ugly and fast.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts