Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOCCER: Microchip football

PUBLISHED: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:38:37 +0000

January 6, 2005 -- Calls for the introduction of refereeing aids have increased after a number of high-profile matches in Europe in which goals have been wrongly disallowed. February 26, 2005 -- The International Football Association Board meets in Cardiff to discuss the introduction of new technology such as goal-mouth video and a microchip-embedded ball. Graphic shows how the Cairos system, designed by the Fraunhofer Institute in Germany, is able to deliver real-time data on ball position, eliminating time delays associated with video replays.

Interesting :)

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
It will cost too much I think. Why transmitters all around the field, why not just 3, one in each goal-post and one in the bar.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Cost too much?

My home phone is 2.4 GHz.. hahaha

It won't cost that much, and it's only a 1 time fee to install in the stadium, and the chips inside the ball are relatively cheap...

Even a $100,000 system is cheap, relatively speaking, when you consider that a disallowed legit goal can make the difference between a player's performance bonus, potential relegation of a team depending on the score, or getting knocked out of a European tournament!!! The stakes in results are potential millions, and such a system's cost pales in comparison.

The only issue I can see people having with the system is that foam inside the ball, and if it will affect the ball's movement...

·
Registered
967 Posts
I say no because it does go against us as well as for us :nono:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i seriously dont think cost is an issue in multimillion dollar stadiums... hell the players are multi-millionaires !

they already have a similar system in international tennis dont forget... much less prize money in individual tornaments..

but, i dunno, i dont like it... football will be forever changed. As frustrating as it is, refs calling good goals offside, falling for divers, awarding phantom penalties... its "ugly" but also part of the game.

For me, football mimics life. The best team doesn't always win. Sometimes the result is unfair, you deal with it and move on.

On the other hand, if the refs are good - they wont make mistakes. I mean mistakes are certain, but good and bad refs are as unmistakable as night and day. I think more effort should be placed in sorting this out. The recent german refs fiasco reveals that this is certainly a top priority even in this day and age, you cant imagine corruption and inept officials no longer exist. It is these impediments that have no place in football.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, maby a good thing but what about lower leagues and not too rich clubs?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
finally bring in some technology to football
in top flight football too much is at stake to be still romanticizing about the "human" nature of errors and how a wrong decision by a ref is part of the game
goes without saying that lower leagues wont need it
hopefully it is applied soon

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
nLr said:
Yeah, maby a good thing but what about lower leagues and not too rich clubs?
Any club in a mjor first division should be able to afford this...

Actually, the league itself will probably be responsible for the costs...

As for the low divisions... if it's too expensive, then who cares? Putting it in at least the first divisions would be nothing but an improvement.

But I still think it won't be an expensive option... these days, wireless technology is a relatively affordable thing...

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
The thing is that ref's only have 30 seconds to decide if it is a goal or not! imagine the fans and all the pressure the linesman gets, 30 seconds it is nothing. it is the time taken to set a free kick! this tecnhology has to be implemented as soon as possible... and i agree with zyad, imgaine something like that happens in the CL....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts