Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think it is really out of control...football isn't sport anymore...it's about rich owner vs rich owner...it's about power...it's about money...it's not even business...they don't care profit or loss...they think football is a toy...they buy anything they want...

u think abromovic was crazy to buy several stars in one summer (well, in the past)? man city's new owner is even more crazy...42m euros for robinho in the last day of the transfer period...man, they just took over like a day when they made that deal...u'll probably see something more crazy in january...130m for CR...whatever for kaka...whatever for torres...whatever for dinho...whatever for messi..whatever for fabregas...the list goes on and on...

imagine if that dubai company buys liverpool...football has now gone crazy...

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I think it is out of control, but the problem is the football clubs don't make money like US sports do. When people spend those crazy amounts of money on clubs like chelsea or man city, they are unlikely going to recoup those investments let alone make a profit out of them.

So these clubs become playgrounds to the filthy rich who are willing to spend hundreds of millions just to have themselves become household names. I always worry about what would happen to these club once their owners get bored and move on to the next thing that tickles their fancy.

I personally don't think all this extra money will give Man City anything more than a UEFA Cup spot. You can have a team filled with international stars and still do poorly, just like Valencia last year.

A successful club isn't just an amalgamation of big name signings. You need a combination of many other things, a strong youth program, good scouts, a good coaching team. It isn't easy, which is something alot of these new owners don't seem to understand. They think because they watched a few matches on tv, it qualifies them to be an owner,scout and manager. They purchase their favorite players and then are shocked when this doesn't translate into good results.

I personally hope this trend doesn't grow, I would hate to see the sport ruined so a few wealthy individuals can purchase a ticket to fame.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i do believe that man city will be successful...they failed to get berbatov...but there are, i believe, players who would take the money instead of winning mentality..i mean 200k a week...i don't think many players can say no...

btw, i read that that dubai investment group that wants to buy liverpool is even more wealthier than man city's new owner...WTH... :eek:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
A successful club isn't just an amalgamation of big name signings. You need a combination of many other things, a strong youth program, good scouts, a good coaching team. It isn't easy, which is something alot of these new owners don't seem to understand.
Apparently, with money it is easy. Compare Chelsea and Liverpool, one is money and the other is tradition. Without doubt, Chelsea has been the more successful club domestically and Liverpool hasn't even won an EPL title yet. Chelsea has fallen short in the CL, but only because to win the CL you need luck.

City's investors aren't stupid enough to take everything into their own hands. They'll hire people who know how to manage a club.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It will not change much... for probably the next ten years the PL will be on top...depending on when/if the English national team starts winning Euros/WC's ....Italy at one point had the seven sisters...with Man C England needs Spurs & Newcastle...

The PL has an advantage over Italy/Spain seeing as they speak English...the most widely spoken language in the world....it also helps as that the PL had 3 teams in last years CL and all the money is being pumped into the PL for all sorts of reasons...

But football is a sport...they love underdogs...it won't take too long before a league loses its lustre...Calcio lost because of self inflicted wounds and the emergence of PL....too many people love the sport...its just human nature...you cant be on top for too long if everyone is aware...

·
Registered
117 Posts
not only will it ruin football due 2 high transfer fees these rich owners offer but what about salaries they pay players ??
now that Robinho is paid 160,000 sterling pounds per week what should we expect next when any team r negotiatin personal terms with a player ???
normal players will then start gettin paid with 100,000 and above.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I guess what we feel is what clubs like, Udinese and Sampdoria feel like, they can only take what is left by the bigger fish in the pond and it has always been like this for them :D.

Its not much change to them because they usually relay on unknown players, to the big teams. But for teams like Inter, Milan, Juve, Roma and even the 2 spanish teams, it will become a big problem. There are 4/5 teams in the UK + qpr in a lower division who could really make it impossible for us sign any well known player in the next few seasons, Man U, Chelsea and now Man City are out of our league, Liverpool at the moment hasnt got great financial muscle like the 3 mentioned but still spends 25mill every season and if they sold on another Dubai group has been looking to invest in them for a few years, Arsenal dont spend much but if they keep on winning shit they will start spending and again they have a Russian Billionaire looking to take over, while QPR have the richest man (i think he is, if not he is still riher than abromvitch) on earth as their owner!

Im glad the managment is already loking to tie up some decent youngsters for the future.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
There is no real difference between what roman and adu dhabi are doing as opposed to what moratti and berlusconi have been doing for the past decade. The only difference being they have more money than moratti and berlusconi had.

Also lfc didn't fall behind chelsea because of the money. They have been struggling to win even before roman arrived on the scene. They have failed because benitez with the exception of torres and macherano has bought poorly.

·
Registered
45,393 Posts
There is no real difference between what roman and adu dhabi are doing as opposed to what moratti and berlusconi have been doing for the past decade. The only difference being they have more money than moratti and berlusconi had.
Not really. We've had a very conservative economic policy over the past few years. Look at the Cambiasso :proud: and Figo transfers for example. We only spend big when we really need to. And even then, look at how we approached the Quaresma transfer; we didn't exactly play ball and got a very good deal in the end.

We actually ended up winning after this transfer policy was implemented and applied as opposed to the previous revolving door transfer approach.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Yes, but the Italian football has been the playground of billionaires for a long time, I don't see much difference between Moratti, Berlusconi, Tanzi, Cragnotti, etc, and their current EPL counterparts except that the latter are richer.

.it's about rich owner vs rich owner...it's about power...it's about money...it's not even business...they don't care profit or loss...they think football is a toy...they buy anything they want...
This fits perfectly to those mentioned above and quite a few other owners in Seria A in the last 20 years:

·
Registered
45,393 Posts
i think it is really out of control...football isn't sport anymore...it's about rich owner vs rich owner...it's about power...it's about money...it's not even business...they don't care profit or loss...they think football is a toy...they buy anything they want...
That's how it's always been and you know it. You wouldn't be so interested in Inter's transfers if Moratti hadn't been signing huge names like Ronaldo, Vieri, Seedorf (not a record-breaking transfer but still a big name), etc.

And it is about business - owners obviously want to make a profit. And even though the mere ownership of a club enhances the owner's image, winning the league or the CL would do this by leaps and bounds. Of course they want to do well. Whether the owner approaches this in the best way possible is a different question. It may be that faulty advice from their own people lead them to make the wrong decisions. It may be that their egos lead them to make bad decisions. Distrust of the coaches.

In Moratti's case it was his very passion for the club that led him to make some poor decisions in the past, like buying a whole new squad with a new coach every season. But Moratti is different from the owners above because Inter is in his blood and soul...and it's obvious that passion drives him to win more than financial gain. As insane as this may sound to those not familiar with Inter and Moratti's history, many of us know this to be true.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Heard Robhinho is one of the lowest paid in RM.

from that to 16ok/week... is like striking lottery virtually every 7days including public holidays.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Eh, Moratti anyone? Before you toned down your transfer policy and stopped signing every player on the market it was totally ridiculous what was going on at Inter. And five years later you're criticizing Chelsea? How quaint.

We used to make lists of all the Inter signings that had flopped just because you had an atrocious record of signings vs success. The turnover back then was incredible. Noone was saying it was "bad for football" cause we loved those huge transfers, and besides Inter wasn't winning anyway.

But come on, have some perspective. As far as I'm concerned the Most Insane Transfer Overspender is a title that still belongs to Inter.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Why do you discuss an issue that's been present in serie a ever since "modern" day football? Is it cause you feel threatened by these new peeps? They are doing exactly what you have done, what Moggi and berlusca and at one point Tanzi and Cragnotti done. Nothing different, really. Yes there is, they are ALOT RICHER. So Interfans who say this is wrong, look at your own dear club.

·
Registered
23,890 Posts
Eh, Moratti anyone? Before you toned down your transfer policy and stopped signing every player on the market it was totally ridiculous what was going on at Inter. And five years later you're criticizing Chelsea? How quaint.

We used to make lists of all the Inter signings that had flopped just because you had an atrocious record of signings vs success. The turnover back then was incredible. Noone was saying it was "bad for football" cause we loved those huge transfers, and besides Inter wasn't winning anyway.

But come on, have some perspective. As far as I'm concerned the Most Insane Transfer Overspender is a title that still belongs to Inter.
Sorry, but I think Moratti has lost the title.

We can't live on past glories, or can we? :undecide:

If that's the case I'm going to start referring to Inter as the reigning Champions of the CL. :err:

Why do you discuss an issue that's been present in serie a ever since "modern" day football? Is it cause you feel threatened by these new peeps? They are doing exactly what you have done, what Moggi and berlusca and at one point Tanzi and Cragnotti done. Nothing different, really. Yes there is, they are ALOT RICHER. So Interfans who say this is wrong, look at your own dear club.
Players, tactics, coaches, matches etc etc have also been issues that's been present in football for a very long time. Shouldn't we be discussing these issues either? :undecide:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts