Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

There have been only 10 earthquakes above 8 Richter since 1900, and today it was one of them, in Indonesia (north of Sumatra island).

Some areas in Thailand and Malaysia were also affected by the tsunamis, however the death count was worst in Indonesia for the SE Asia region - 400 people dead and counting.

Meanwhile, similar tsunamis and earthquakes also affected the Bay of Bengal area, wher more than 1500 people in India and 1000+ people in Sri Lanka have been the casualties (and still counting).

Even in the tiny island of Singapore (that is lucky enough to be sheltered in a straits by the island Sumatra and the Malayan Peninsula) the effects were still felt by some people living in the southern area of the island.

Is anyone affected by this? :(

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The number of dead is now up too 3500-4000:(
It was 8,9 on Richther , and if this is correct it's the biggest eartquake on 100years..
Man this is so sad and the numbers of dead is just rising..:(

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Inshallah I hope no-one has been hurt in either the earthquake or the resulting tsunamis! Inshallah everyone's families and friends are also ok!

Terrible news! :(

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
37,550 Posts
Shocking. On the exact same day last year a massive earthquake hit Iran, and now this. :(

My heart goes out to all the victims and their families.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
We've got friends that live in Columbo, I hope they and everyone from XT that lives in South East Asia is safe.

·
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
6,300 Posts
Terrible, just terrible :(

Fellow forumers, please keep us posted. If there's anything we can do -- locally or from overseas -- do let us know.

My condolence to all the victims and their families.

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
Terrible news :( :( and to think that some of the regions effected (Aceh and the Eastern side of Sri Lanka thus the Tamil region) hadn't had it hard enough!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Wally said:
Terrible news :( :( and to think that some of the regions effected (Aceh and the Eastern side of Sri Lanka thus the Tamil region) hadn't had it hard enough!
Yes , they will suffer alot now...:(

·
Registered
287 Posts
The number of people that is found to be dead reached 43 here in Malaysia...and they are still searching for missing people ....
The states that are badly affected are Penang, Kedah , Pulau Langkawi,Kedah....
All other states felt the a brief of the earthquake mostly in tall buildings...
I heard others countries had severe damages and losses ...

My grandparents was very fortunate not to be in the list of victims because their house is opposite of the Gurney Drive beach in Penang... But they did inform me that the wave is around 3 - 4 metres high....There was police and ambulans all around from 9 am till 10 pm just now...
I gave them a call after i heard the incidents.....

According to the researchers in Malaysia they are expecting a follow up due to this incidents and they are evacuating people that live near the beaches untill the matters is resolve...

My condolences to the unfortunate victims.....

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, indeed there is a 'second round' of tsunamis expected, therefore people are busy evacuating from the coastal areas. Difficulty is that e.g. in Phuket the airport is closed. Also, major transportation routes in e.g. Aceh are also cut off. It's not easy to escape to safety, and it is also already DARK at the moment. I can only hope that when the 2nd round hits, most people will already get evacuated.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Yes, at least they are taking the precaution to evacuate people which should mean minimal loss of life if there is a second round of tsunamis.

Echoing Bonita, if there is anything that outsiders can do, please let us know.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As of half an hour ago, death toll already rose to 4185 in Indonesia alone. Not sure if they're gonna have any update for the rest of the night since it's already 2 a.m. back at home, but I'll give more updates tomorrow.

Latest updates from Yahoo! (Associated Press Asia)

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
What an awful way to end the year :(.
If there's ever gonna be good thing to be coming out of this devastating disaster, let it be that the warring forces in the regions affected (that'd be Sri Lanka and Aceh) would put aside their differences and work together to relief the victims...

My thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families :(.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Its a terrible and sickening day, after watching the images on television. I just cannot imagine it. Poor souls.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts