Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing to do with footie (hence OT).

It's that time of year when I enjoy the kitsch things in life (kitsch not kic:dazed: ).
And tonight is the semi political pop event that could bring out the most minute nationalistic tendencies in a person.

Anyway, it's on at 21:00 CET.

Enjoy

...Aman petrol, canim petrol, blah blah blah...

·
*the drum drum*
43,003 Posts
I'll be expecting full points from Germany tonight :D

Other than that, I don't think our act has much chance...I saw them, and they suck :D

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I expected a better song from Turkey.
Lithuania is the winner, and it means that another Baltic country wins Eurovision second year in a row.

P.S. Did u see that "girls" from Slovenia? :yuck:

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I expected a better song from Turkey.
I didn't know they still had that:tongue:

How many points did we get?:)

Hakan, aman petrol was not bad, we had better songs like " Di day di day day" from MFO:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
*Getting up on my high horse*

I wish we wouldn't enter the eurovision! It's so appalingly bad and embarrassing!!!

It's like they've picked the most tallentless, innept people from each country to make a song!!!

What a pile of amateur-pop-w(a)nk!!!

OK, admittedly I don't have any musical talent, but at least I know it... And I recognise and appreciate real music and real artistry. And I'm not talking about sh(i)te like Pop Idle or Ricky Martin or Posh Spice all who are a bunch of money-grabbing talentless brain-deads whose soles are owned by the big corporate music machine... Music should be produced for the love of it... A true artist IMHO is one who writes their music, writes their lyrics, plays their songs and instruments... The principled musicians who refuse to mime and don't do it for the money or the fame, but solely for the love of the music and the desire to share it with others!

Anyway, appologies for the rant, but I'm a bit'f a passionate one for music and can't stand those non-artists who just don't have a clue!!!

Anyway, let's get back to the football...

P.S. Appologies for the profanities, I hope they don't get me kicked off the forum!?

·
*the drum drum*
43,003 Posts
Radioman said:
P.S. Appologies for the profanities, I hope they don't get me kicked off the forum!?
:D
I agree 100% with you, so if you get kicked out, I'll leave too :smileani:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think our lot must have had their mics sqitched off, could barely hear them.
No points from Germany! Are our people fair and non-political?? disgusting!:D

I wanted Latvia to win funnily enough, great show (must remember that one next time I go out:dazed: ). My partners family voted for Romania, but I know my Eurovision:eek:

And just after Greece were improving so much over the years; they bring out the robocops!:howler: What is the password? is it SAGAPO??:D

It's all good fun, however we were a little unhappy that everyone wants to win it so badly by singing in English and not their native language. Kills the show I think...

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes, Radioman. Sound like you should visit a place called Cactus in North London. Live music (Turkish bar) they do Turkish music and others such as Clapton, Marley, Nina Simone, etc. And tends to have a nice clientel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmmm, Clapton ain't quite my sort'f thing... I'm into Indie, rock and a bit'f metal... bands like Radiohead, Feeder, Muse, Goo Goo Dolls, The Charlatans, Lost Prophets... I'd better not list'em all as I'm sure I'd run out'f space.

I like live music so I go to a fair few gigs, and I'm going to Glastonbury and Reading this year.

As you can tell I do like my music!

I'm not into pop, and find Turkish pop a bit boring... I prefer the older Turkish stuff like Orhan Gencebay...

That's the beauty of music though... Everyone likes something different... I like what I like and I wouldn't want to like what everyone else likes and I wouldn't want everyone to like what I like!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone by saying I don't like Turkish pop, it's just a matter of preference... Music is very subjective... I hope I don't get a barage of abuse from offended Tarkan fans!!!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Totally agree, I'm not a pop fan either. The music played at this place tends to be old music. From people like Edip Akbayram, etc.

Have you heard of Keziah Jones? One of my faves. If I had to generalise my taste, I'd go with the 70's; i.e Hendrix, T-Rex, Steve Miller, Doors, etc. However depending my mood I'll listen to anything, but won't buy everything.

Tarkan is good at what he does, and I respect him for that. But this generation of mass-produced, industry invented groups are killing music IMO, but I won't begrudge them their fun, I just won't listen to it.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I totally agree with you HakanK... I prefer to concentrate on the positive aspects of music, the stuff I like... At the end of the day everyone has their own motives, and like the football industry, a lot'f music is geared towards making a fast buck! I just won't listen to music produced in that way!

No, I haven't heard of Keziah Jones... What's she? like?

Hendrix and the Doors are cool... Real artists! Would've loved to have seen'em live. I'm quite chuffed that I had the chance to the King of Soul, Mr James Brown back in 99... He rocked, what an entertainer!

I'm more into the nineties and noughties stuff in general, but I try not to limit myself to it.

I'm really glad that I'm living in London, it's definitely the place to be for music... at least for my kinda music... And clubs for that matter, although i'm a bit passed the clubbing thing now. London rocks when it comes to the live scene!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I gave up on clubbing when I tore my groin muscle (don't ask):D

Keziah Jones is a former London undeground (tube) musician of Nigerian descent.

He created a genre called blue-funk and is an excellent quitarist.
I'd say his style is in line with Hendrix, and his lyrics are poetic and deep. And a plus point, he doesn't say 'baby' once! (I've decided to never listen to music that uses the word 'baby' unless of course it refers to newborns :D ).

I actually discovered him in Turkey (television) and found that even though he's from London, not too many people know him here.

Sorry to turn this into a music thread people:) (hey now there's an idea!).

Edited 'cos I was starting to sound far too wierd.:eek:

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I like what I like and I wouldn't want to like what everyone else likes and I wouldn't want everyone to like what I like!!!
I like the idea that I don't like what you like, because you also don't want everyone to like what you like :tongue:

BTW, Gencebay and Goo Goo Dolls:eek:, that's the first and probably the last time I see them in the same list:D

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Turkish chick at Eurovision

I was watching Eurovision the other night when I saw Turkey's song and boy the chick that was singing is mighty fine :horny:

Can you guys tell me her name and if there are any sites of her that I can visit? :)

What are your opinions on Turkey's performance?

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've merged the threads King. Her name is Buket Bengisu.

Here's the pic you wanted:

http://www.worldphotos.com/i/ef/74d707d5.jpg

She doesn't appear to have an official site, but if you do a search there are mp3's of the song.

:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: Turkish chick at Eurovision

King Italy said:

What are your opinions on Turkey's performance?
What Turkey? Was Turkey in? I did not see any performance. I saw bunch of clawn. We should not even step in to Eurovision. It is enough with humiliation. We don't even have that bad song on the market :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts