Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of the Forum regulars probably remember, I am learning Basque. I was hoping to create a thread for post in Euskara (Batua), so I could practice.:cool:


My first lesson was about pronounciation.
The tx, ts, and similar things.

Ni naiz Justino Joseba Idoiaga

Hau= Here
Hori = There
Hura = there (at a distance)

Gizon=Man
Emakume= Women

Zu zara?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BioJedi said:
let me correct you a bit :D


hau = this
hori = that

here = hemen
there = hor/han
eskerrik asko

Hau Xtratime da



Bio, if you ask me a question in euskara, I will answer it.
 

·
***** *******
Joined
·
4,421 Posts
Well let's put some easy questions and see how many are you able to answer


zein da zure izena?

non bizi zara?

zenbat urte dituzu?

zer ordu da?

nioz da zure urtebetetzea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BioJedi said:
Well let's put some easy questions and see how many are you able to answer


zein da zure izena?

non bizi zara?

zenbat urte dituzu?

zer ordu da?

nioz da zure urtebetetzea?
:eek:

i dont know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BioJedi said:
so let's start with easy questions, but don't cheat and ask your teacher, that way I can see your level ;)



zein da zure izena?
Ni Justino Naiz:confused: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have learned so far the verb Izan= to be

NI NAIZ=I AM
ZU ZARA= YOU ARE
HURA DA=HE/SHE/IT IS

GU GARA=WE ARE
ZUEK ZARETE=YOU ARE PLURAL
HAIEK DIRA =THEY ARE

some vocabulary
Emakume=woman
Gizon=man
neska=girl
mutil=boy
bide=road
kale=street
basserri=farm or town
herri=land or town or country
mendi=mountain
autoa=car
berri=new
itsusi=ugly
polit=beautiful
bat=one
bi=two
hiru=three
lau=four

some grammar
I am justino= ni justino naiz
you are txupa= zu txupa zara
he is Prince= hura prince da
we are basque= gu euskaldun(?) gara
you (plural) are boys=zuek mutilak zarete
they are girls= haiek neskak dira



how did I do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
Great, B2B!!! You´re making progress!!!:D

A couple of things: it´s "baserri" and "gu euskaldunAK gara"

Keep on, you know we are ready to help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
iparralde said:
Great, B2B!!! You´re making progress!!!:D

A couple of things: it´s "baserri" and "gu euskaldunAK gara"

Keep on, you know we are ready to help.

Eskerrik Asko

Learning euskara is very important to me, and has been a life long dream.

every week, on sunday, at Euzko-Etxea, we study a whole group of us. I even have my Fiance(Promitida) learning euskara, and she is Irish-German!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
I speak both batua and gipuzkera (gipuzkoan provincial euskara). Here we tend to speak in the provincial one and write and in batua. Where´s your techer from?
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Guys... I want to ask you something. We have in our language, el català, different dialects. Despite the political intentions of the same people of everywhere, the Valencià is only a dialect inside the Català. Also the Balears have a different dialect.

To say an example we all know: it's not the same the Spanish talked in Cadiz and the one in Valladolid.

The question is: do you have dialects? or the euskara is more or less homogenic in all the territories where it is spoken? If there is any, which are? Do you have difficulties to understand others speaking different dialects?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanx in advance. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
Yes, we have different dialects, we could say that every territory has its own dialect (Gipuzkoa, Bizkaia, Araba, Nafarroa, Lapurdi, Zuberoa and Behe Nafarroa) but it´s a bit more complex. That´s why about 40 years ago some experts tried to get a "united" euskara so that all basques could have a reference : euskara batua.
I, as Gipuzkoan, have some difficulty to understand some bizkaian and people from Iparralde ( "French Basque Country" ) , there´s some different vocalizing(?) and some different words, but we´re able to understand each other
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
iparralde said:
Yes, we have different dialects, we could say that every territory has its own dialect (Gipuzkoa, Bizkaia, Araba, Nafarroa, Lapurdi, Zuberoa and Behe Nafarroa) but it´s a bit more complex. That´s why about 40 years ago some experts tried to get a "united" euskara so that all basques could have a reference : euskara batua.
I, as Gipuzkoan, have some difficulty to understand some bizkaian and people from Iparralde ( "French Basque Country" ) , there´s some different vocalizing(?) and some different words, but we´re able to understand each other
okay... thanx. I have the same problem with the mallorquí, man, I understand them, but they speak really strange.

Another question... I read somewhere that there are diverse theories about the origin of euskara, but it seems that it has a Caucasic origin. Can you tell me if this is true? There is other theories or something certain?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top