Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this competition deserves its own thread.
Great start into the tournament, Kazakhstan beating the Germans! :cool:

As for the Austrian team, great performance against Russia, of course, although all this means nothing if they don't beat Belarus in around 19 hours. Setzinger would have deserved the man of the match, in my opinion, if only for that brilliant solo. Brückler was good, but I think they hype him too much already. I figured before the tournament that he'd be a better #1 than Machreich, who is said to be a bit overrated.

Pretty tight games so far, the only ones with a big win were the US.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Yeah, looking forward to the game tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't get the tickets when I looked for them a few months ago - already sold out. Would have been a great day with Russia-Slovakia and Austria-Belarus.

Unfortunately, as usual, we're to stupid to get points against the big teams. A draw was in reach against Russia.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
I sort of gladly join the Brückler hype, as a goalie (made) larger than life can also play like that, a decisive factor in hockey, ,or ice-hockey as we use to say.

Could be Denmark we have to concentrate on. I'm not sure if we can beat Belarus, rather not, I suppose, so if I understand the tournament rules right (which I did not bother to check) it easily could be a relegation tournament against g-country, Denmark and Slovenia.

I'm completely sure Slovenia does the "whatever, our games are later" tactics, so after the 2 draws in preparation, we are likely to lose. We won't beat Bismarckania, I fear, so we have to beat Denmark. Who are looking like thinking they have to beat the big shots, just like us.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I'm pretty sure we'd beat Slovenia, they simply look like the worst team of the tournament. And that's good, because two out of four are going down, as far as I know.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
...two out of four? Hm, that could be tough then. Then we simply have to beat Belarus, because if not, they would do their useless full energy stunt in the last group game and then, just like all the time, they lack power for the final games.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Alexx said:
a goalie (made) larger than life can also play like that.
Or maybe not....

Expect Denmark and us say bye, bye. I still believe in the Slovenia tactics.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Funny title... :D ...and funny that international hockey does not receive much attention here, considering that hockey the fourth most popular of the "ball 'n' stick" sports here and that hockey fans might be interested in getting their hockey "fix" with the NHL season on ice (pun intended :D ) :confused:

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alexx said:
Expect Denmark and us say bye, bye. I still believe in the Slovenia tactics.
I think a lot of people rate Slovenia as the worst team of the tournament. I hope they are at least weak enough to lose to Latvia, cause a relegation group with Latvia would be real horror (they can not relegate, since they host next year's world cup).
Then we'd have to beat Slovenia and Denmark most likely to stay up, I guess we'll lose against Germany as always.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Belarus 5 Austria 0

Pathetic display! :thmbdown:

B-WM here we come! We're going down, down, down, down,....

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Nein, nicht einmal dazu hat's gereicht... :frustrat:

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nein, nicht einmal das. Ich glaub, die Spieler haben auch Angst im Eis einzubrechen. :tongue:

As for the Belarus-game, it was the usual problems (inferior powerplay, bad discipline), mixed with a bit of bad luck and an amazing Mikhail Grabovsky (as Alexx already mentioned in the Kafka-thread). No way we're as bad as a 0-5 vs. Belarus might make it look like. But we're nowhere near the surprise result against Canada from last year either, simply too much important players are missing for that.

Btw, the new Sport1-poll is not "Wer wird Weltmeister?" or "Schafft Österreich den Klassenerhalt?" but "Wie lange hält das Eis?"...

And I can't believe I didn't mention yet that the new jerseys are ugly compared to the classic A-motive.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one had me smiling a bit.
Some hockey-story after the loss to Belarus( http://fm4.orf.at/blumenau/196313/main ), and a user comment: "dann schlagen wir eben wales zwei mal und polen auswärts" :D

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Well, in fact the future in group B is unavoidable anyway. I mean, the former Czechoslovakia douzbling in 2 world class teams, then all the countries from former Soviet Union, already Ukraine, Belarus and Kazachstan and that will go on with Georgia and stuff, so group A will end up with the big 4 from the west and with 12 teams from the former Eastern block. Even g-country should end up as a group B team some years from now.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
MxPx said:
And I can't believe I didn't mention yet that the new jerseys are ugly compared to the classic A-motive.
I agree. And I don't see any connection between eagles and Austrian hockey.

But I don't think we will have the 4 + 12 situation in a few years. There are 7 teams constantly above all the others, with 9 other teams who depend on form and individual players (like Vanek for us). There'll probably be some teams who stay in group A for a long time, but generally I think they'll change a lot. So I think there'll be about 20 teams competing for those 9 spots, including Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Slovenia, Denmark and Norway, and many former Russian states. Given that development it actually might be funnier to have 4 teams going down/up each year. And I think we'll have a team that is strong enough to be in group A from time to time, but not constantly.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
I hope you are right. However, if you look at the happenings in recent years, a.k.a Belarus developing from far below us to pretty much on par this season, with Ukraine meanwhile having passed us, I guess, then you can make a pretty linear prediction to see the future. And I hope I'm wrong, of course.... ;)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I think Ukraine is still in reach, although we couldn't beat them for the Olympia-qualification.

And, it sounds like an excuse, but I think we are really unlucky with the current draw. Didn't Belarus "win" 4th place two years ago, (or was it in Salt Lake?) beating Russia in the quarterfinal with their keeper Methsin frustrating the Russian strikers?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I looked it up now: It was in Salt Lake City 2002. They've beaten Sweden in the quarters and lost against Russia for third place.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Well, my other firm hockerry thesis, the obvious one, by having an extra class goalie, yozur team can do a loot of things. Without him, the team evcenrtually usually underperforms from frustration. See also ouzr last real good tournament, the one with Divis in top form.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts