Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi :)
I am sorry for starting an offtopic thread here but I do need your help… I have to do a research about English loan words in German advertisements (I mean ads in German language) for my uni and I need opinions of people who live in German speaking countries. Would you please answer the following four questions? It won’t take you much time but it’ll help me out a lot. Thanks in advance :)

1. Do you always understand the exact meaning of an English slogan or an English word in a German ad?

a) Yes
b) No

2. A slogan in which language do you think promotes the company in a better way?

a) German
b) English
c) Both equal

3. Should English slogans of foreign companies (like “Simply clever” for Škoda) be translated into German for German speaking market?

a) Yes, definitely.
b) Yes, but only possible word play doesn’t get lost.
c) No, they should remain English.

4. What do you think of advertisements that contain English words?

a) I can’t stand them, a German ad must only contain German words.
b) I’ve nothing against them unless there are too many English words in an ad.
c) I like them, English words make an ad more interesting and catching.
d) I don’t care.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi there,

You chose the right nickname, so I just HAVE to answer. ;)

1. Do you always understand the exact meaning of an English slogan or an English word in a German ad?

a) Yes, I'd say so. In a tv show they once asked people on the street about the meaning of such slogans and the results were very bad, so the average person probably does not understand that much.

2. A slogan in which language do you think promotes the company in a better way?

a) German - but it actually depends on the target group. English might not be understood by too many people if it's full of rather unknown words, but it's actually just "cooler".

3. Should English slogans of foreign companies (like “Simply clever” for Škoda) be translated into German for German speaking market?

b) Yes, but only possible word play doesn’t get lost (and if the meaning is not too obvious like in the Skoda case)

4. What do you think of advertisements that contain English words?

d) I don’t care - it's not about the language but about good or bad marketing.

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redblue Power said:
You chose the right nickname, so I just HAVE to answer. ;)
:D good, my nickname was of some use for me then :D
Thank you for answering :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well, I would also have helped someone called "Igor whatever", but this name just was some sort of coincidendce. (@ East Ender: Ya know - Iron Maiden... :party: )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts