Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of the year again! :party: Time to go off-topic till we drop, celebrate life until we don't care if it makes sense or not, dance till our souls are cleansed and our soles are raw. :happy: Time to dive headfirst into the CARNAVAL!

[tub]G3S7I6aumJg[/tub]

:worship:

[tub]cYaoMmFFS0k[/tub]

But of course, those are only the Samba-School Parades. I personally prefer to party in the free-for-all street parades, such as "Suvaco de Cristo" (Christ's Armpit):

[tub]34MMFVLQM3Q[/tub]

And my favorite street parade, Ipanema's own "Simpatia e Quase Amor" (Sympathy Is Almost Love):

[tub]CkNyH5DZ7uc[/tub]

:proud: :righton: :drunk: :party:

The São Paulo samba school parades have already begun, with schools like Vai-Vai (Cafu was part of their parade, and I'll try to get a picture of him later), Rosas de Ouro and Vila Maria. And today there will be more!

Rio's world-famous samba school parades begin tomorrow, february 14th, with great schools like Salgueiro, Beija-Flor and Imperatriz. On the 15th we'll have classics such as Mocidade Independente, Portela and Mangueira. :happy:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before the samba schools' parades begin, the wildest parties are the samba schools' rehearsals, where the participants learn this year's samba and warm up for the big show. A couple of pictures from those rehearsals:

And of course, the samba schools are finishing the huge allegorical cars that will decorate their parades:

Meanwhile, the street parades are already going strong, with thousands of people singing and dancing together:

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Well, look splendid of course, I have seen many videos, nice music, the ones who did not injoy are football players, for example the Gauchao was playd in extreme high temperatures vand the referies has to stopthe game several time for the players to have a breather and drink of water. The public was thin.. (Even moving the hour of the game to a later one, still was even up to 38 c. )
Only VIP like Adriano were liberated form training this day

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you do not think about futebol at all? Or do you take part with a statistics book on Fogo in your hand?!
:confused: Hey, there's a time for everything under the blazing sun. :party:

Botafogo's next match is wednesday (february 17th) against Flamengo, in the Guanabara Cup semifinal (whoever wins the Guanabara Cup is automatically qualified to the Rio State Championship finals). The other semifinal is between Vasco and Fluminense, and it will take place tomorrow.

Y'see, in Brasil we stop everything for five days of Carnaval (technically, it's four days of party and next wednesday is "Quarta-Feira de Cinzas" - which means "Ash Wednesday" but is actually National Hangover Day). :D

·
Administrator
29,392 Posts
The funny thing is that the Rio de Janeiro competition for Carnaval was created by Mario Filho, brazilian top football journalist, because during the Carnaval there was no matches and the sports sections of the journal where he worked had not news.
Of course...

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PICS!

Girls from the SP samba school parade:

Some highlights of the SP parades:

(Yes, Ronaldo was part of the Gaviões da Fiel's parade)

Some pictures of the "Access Group" (the 2nd division) of Rio's samba-school parades:

And as you'd imagine, every year several foreign celebrities come to watch the parades and party. This year we have people like Madonna, Gerard Butler (whose guide in Rio is his buddy Rodrigo Santoro, who was in "300" with him)...

...and Paris Hilton, who (to nobody's surprise) got seriously drunk and made a fool of herself. :drunk:

:palm:

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I hate carnaval..
I was actually going to ask you guys about that.

Grinch, the guys I know form always speak of escaping Rio during carnival, they prefer to spend the time in Buzios or the mountains, they say that Rio is always too crowed.

I am wondering if most feel that way.

Those pictures from Paris Hilton are from SP or Rio?:drunk: And Ronaldo didn't look too happy to be on that float.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was actually going to ask you guys about that.

Grinch, the guys I know form always speak of escaping Rio during carnival, they prefer to spend the time in Buzios or the mountains, they say that Rio is always too crowed.

I am wondering if most feel that way.
Well, of course not everybody is into it. Many people don't like the crowds, but most love it. People who don't like carnaval either leave Rio during the holiday, or stay and complain about the noise and the crowds stopping traffic. :D

Those pictures from Paris Hilton are from SP or Rio?:drunk:
Rio. In those pictures she's making a show of herself after getting drunk - she went to the front of the party and started yelling "Do you feel sexy? I know you are!!" then pointed at her boyfriend and yelled "I love you Doug!", started dancing, fell and knocked down part of the decoration. :palm:
And Ronaldo didn't look too happy to be on that float.
Nah, I think Ronaldo enjoyed himself, but he was on top of an allegorical car so he had to hold on - he sang and waved to the fans a lot, though. :D The parade's theme was Corinthians' 100th anniversary, and he was understandably one of the attractions.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I found in u tube some special enredos for the Corinthians fans, most of them for the torcidas organizadas. People from other countries have dificulties grasp how numerous are those groups, I think that in no other countries are so many fans of some club,like in Brazil Flamengo, Corinthians etc. Of course it bring forth some themes of the carnaval.

I am the one of those who really love humanity but not too many of them at one place, with too much drink, drugs and hormones going wild. I think it is very much enjoyable for the participans who prepare and train all the year round~trying to be creative and atractive. It is a competition. Some people who know Brazil recommend Bahia or Olinda (Pernambuco) and i suppose ther are less comercialized carnavals in other places. Any town and city have it, more or less.
One friend of mine (Carioca) said that after the carnaval the year really begins,she is a great follower of the carnaval and knows everything about the Samba schools etc. In every place where are Brazilians (They are everywhere) there are many parties as "local carnavals" some of the ones I attended were on a high level mussically and everybody was happy matando saudades. The TV stations and radio all over the world have programs about it, and after the carnaval is over, there are some other festivals in other countries, with mascarades and all, untill everybody gets very serious before Easter or Pesah~depending of your religion
I will be in Rio for a few days, on the beginning of March, I won it in a lottery.. I think I will attend the game between Botafogo and Fluminenze in the Marakana on the 6th of March~if it will be possible.
(Everybody says it is not safe.. and I hope that I could find affordable tickets)
Perdon the off topic, I am feeling a mixture of excitement and some fear of this trip, everybody says Rio is very unsafe place, I was in worst places like Kosovo, so I suppose I will survive, taking the normal precautions. I will know more after the meeting of the group. (I never go with organized tour but if you win it, you take it..)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I will attend the game between Botafogo and Fluminenze in the Marakana on the 6th of March~if it will be possible.
(Everybody says it is not safe.. and I hope that I could find affordable tickets)
Actually the Botafogo x Fluminense is the most civilized derby in Rio (I'm not saying that fights never happen, but they're far less frequent than in other derbies). Both Bota and Flu have upper-class fanbases, and usually there are lots of women and families in the audience.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Actually the Botafogo x Fluminense is the most civilized derby in Rio (I'm not saying that fights never happen, but they're far less frequent than in other derbies). Both Bota and Flu have upper-class fanbases, and usually there are lots of women and families in the audience.
Well, those are good news, how can I find tickets: I suppose the guide of the group is supposed to know,:lazy: if not, I will find a way to test my (weak) understanding of the RJ sotaque:hopeful: I made up my mind to go to this match:thumbsup:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leslie ,are you actually there ?
"There" where? :D I'm in Rio and went to some of the street "blocos" like Simpatia e Quase Amor (today I'm nursing a mild hangover, and tomorrow I may party some more). But I didn't go to watch the samba school parades.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
luz, you can get tickets in laranjeiras or general severiano

1 - 20 of 37 Posts