Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe it would be a superb idea to have a thread dedicated to everything cultural about Brasil. Such as books, musics, films, plays, concerts, habits, well, everything cultural about this great country that is Brasil. But also about magie/superstitions practices in football and everyday life there.

I just finished reading a classic of Brasilian literature, A morte e a morte de Quincas Berro Dágua by Jorge Amado that a friend of mine sent me. Funny little story that I truly enjoyed!:shades:

Now I'm reading another book, IMHO, is a must for every lover of Brasilian football or anyone curious to find out more about what football means to the everyday life of Brasilians. It's a must read! It's called Futebol, The Brazilian Way of Life by Alex Bellos.

I learned quite a lot of things about Brasil and futebol and everyday life, customs that is simply too much to talk about in here. However, a few passages really stand out and I'm going to share them in here to get confirmation and or more info from the Brasileiros in here.

First part is for G-Man as it's about his beloved Botafogo, aka the most superstitious team in Brasil (is that right G? at least that's what the author claims in that book). Here's a passage about superstitions and Brasilian teams.

"On the 29th of April of 2001, Botafogo (believed to be Brasil's most superstitious club), Vasco de Gama beats Botafogo 7-0. Newspapers pointed out that the previos time Botafogo let in 7 goals was on April 29 1994, exactly 7 years before. On both occasions, the seventh goal was scored by the player with number 7 on his shirt. If that is not spooky enough, both happenedon the twenthy-ninth and what is 9 minus 2? The daily paper O Dia's headline 2 days later had an explanation: "Uranus is to blame". Dé, the coach was more preach-like: "Seven is God's number, because he created the word in seven days. It's in the Bible...."

:dazed::mute: :lala: :eekani:

Again, I'd be looking for you G-Man to confirm this freaky event!:mute:

Anybody got more similar stories of strange coincidences and their teams? There are a couple of more about Botafogo, but I will post them more! One to do with frogs and a long spell that cost them dearly...;) Stay tuned, unless G-Man wants to go ahead and do it...:)

Cheers.;)

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
San_Siro,
the topic about literature and footbal still up, I am able to update it each two weaks or so, visit there. (you have to dig the archives and deal with portuguese).
I have read Alex Bellos and here is what i think:
For once he is a Good Jornalist and decent writer, so his book is a good read.
For twice he does a great job of traveling, investigation. His chapters about the indian football, amateur football in Amazonia are great.
He gives vallue to Mario Filho.
He seems to have fallen in love with Brazil.
The bad things are
even falling in love he still an outsider and keep this outsider view of us a "exotic", His chapter about the nicknames and religion are too biased. His bias against Pele is also bad and thus he directed himself in the brazilian story trying to create a image about Pele and Garrincha that not even his own bibliography should agree. In this part he does a lot of mistakes and fall for a view that is "bairrista" (mostly because he uses as references people like Juca Kfouri, an idiot.).
All in all keep in mind that about the history and professional football understanding there is better sources. But he adds views to directions in other chapters for the "Underground" world of our football that are valluable.

If you want to find a lot about those odd histories, search for books of Mario Filho. He rocks.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JC,
I agree about you on the Alex Bellos book. I also find interesting the view that he tries to give about the Garrincha-Pelé making it believe that Garrincha is the one the people love the most and considers the best, as he is the closest to the people, "while Pelé is too perfect, and thus, not a good reflection of the Brasilian people". What are your comments/views on that?

I also loved his chapters about the underground world of football, all the superstitions and influence of magic. Brillant stuff!:shades: I am half way through the book.

My portuguese is gettting better and better, and I can read and understand most of what I read/hear in Portuguese, so don't worry if it's in portuguese, just shoot it! And while you're at it, gimme some titles of the books of Mario Filho that you'd suggest. I'll try to find them either in here or have my friends in Brasil send it to me.

Cheers.;)

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
He was tainted by the Juca Kfourism, who fought with Pele and then started to create this image of Pele. Pele was very loved - there is 30 years since he left us and he still atracts attention. And the story of a poor boy who became the most sucessfull person in the world in his profession does not appeal to every brazilian ? This is a basically the dream of Brazil who often focus in individual utopias than social utopias. And we are a country with African's lineage. More than half of the population is related than Africans - Who can a Black man does not represent it ? Pele sucess and insistense to be called "Negro" did much to combat racism that is ridiculous to not related him with thsi popular inssue. And there is no doubt that the majority of Brazilians think Pele was the greatest ever.
Mr. Bellos even contradict himself. He often repeats we brazilians strive for sucess and perfection in footbal then he says Pele do not represent it because he is exactly this sucess and perfection ? He is exactly what a brazilian want: A Brazilian who can take out the world and earn its respect. Just think how Ayrthon Senna was loved also.
And Mr.Bellos should have shame of himself, the people of Brazil would not have an ideal of perfection to reflect themselves ?
That part is the worst part of the book.
I do not like much the religious part because he made us seem that We Are oddly surperticious and religious and you know, how that is true in Italy and even England also. That was a bit of "rational europe and odd and superticious people from South America" part of his book. Make me think of Kipling's books and his Bastinenglishempire vision and yet admiration of the outside world.

Mario Filho's Books are all hard to find but the best of the lot: "O Negro no Futebol Brasileiro" (which is the best book about football I have read so far) was re-printed 2,3 years ago. This one you will probally find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts