Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone who watched this years CAF CL final, what can CAF do to improve the organizational aspect of the tournament (or any other continental one)? I think there is a major problem with all CAF club tournaments, the two leg stuff just doesn't work if the away team wins it in the second leg.

As we've seen over the weekend, as soon as the match ended, the trophy was placed on a blue table (we didn't even get table cloth) and Ahly players lined up to receive the cup. Players ran around the pitch, did the usual stuff, but no fireworks, no music, no celebrations, nothing. That was it.

Sfaxien had planned a party worth $50,000+ had they won it (and I highly doubt that table was worth $50,000) but they abandoned it when they lost.

The one leg system on a neutral ground won't work either in Africa where many have bigger problems than not being able to travel to watch a football match. I remember the 1993/94 African super cup game between Ahly and Zamalek in Johannesburg and that was too lame. Imagine Ahly and Zamalek being watched by 10 people, half of them are ballboys and the rest probably don't know which team is Ahly and which is Zamalek (don't quote me on this but I think the CAF super cup starting from this year will return to the neutral ground format, as opposed to being played at the home of the CL champions). At least the two leg system gaurantees a 50% chance of a decent ending to the championship (assuming the home team wins the second leg and the tournament) and a capacity crowd.

So both are obviously not working. But, to begin with, why is CAF letting the home side decide all the celebrations and giving them the choice to abandon it if the away team wins? Issa Hayatou was the one giving out the medals in this years CL final and wasn't he embarassed by that scene when he compares it to the UEFA CL final? The least CAF can do is manage all the organizational work for the final and not let the home team do it. That will gaurantee consistency from one tournament to the other and improve the image of the competition.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
You are right about the fact that the winner of a two legged final should not have its party organised solely by the club that hosts the 2nd leg but don't you think that the reason CAF leaves it up to the clubs is simply because they have slightly less money than UEFA for that kind of stuff?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts